Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Candymaxi

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  20:45:30  Show Profile
Well they are back and I have been informed they set fire to trees and also cut some down with chain saws to access the same area they camped on before, also they removed the concrete blocks from Mayflower way to access from there as well, apparently fire bridgade and police were in attendance and have left them to there own devices.This is a capacity camp, four fold over the last 'invasion'.

Ppitstop

2 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  21:09:23  Show Profile
I am fuming!!! I watched the Police allow the backed-up queue of "Vans" into the area they had been blockading!! The trees were damaged and set alight for exactly this, so they could get onto the field...............the security fencing is inadequate and I'm very tempted to call a meeting for local residents, who, have now had enough!! I will be addressing this issue to the local papers first thing tomorrow!!
Go to Top of Page

Candymaxi

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  21:18:46  Show Profile
Agreed,last time they were at Bramley Green ,crime increased ten fold,cars/vans speeding up the wrong way of the road ,parents scared for their childrens safety .Abuse hurled at residents and school children threatened at back entrance of the Angmering school!! The residents who pay for our streets and areas to be protected by the law once again seem to be let down time and time again.
Go to Top of Page

Ppitstop

2 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  21:32:28  Show Profile
Maybe we should all wothold out council tax for a month?? Why pay for something that is non existent?? I think you can read that I'm rather cross to say the least, having watched the whole farce from the comfort and (soon to be wrecked) peace of my own lounge!!! The traffic has increased tenfold since 6pm and the speeds at which these vehicles are travelling far exceeds the speed limit!!!! ARGH!!!!
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  06:11:10  Show Profile
It must be awful if you are living down The Mayflower Park end of the estate, I have to admit we live nearer the Community Centre and we did not appear to have any trouble from them last time.But when we went out last night I think it was about the time they all arrived and I cannot understand why the police cannot move them on.In London they have task forces of Police( beefy looking hard types!)to deal with such situations as this.How would they like it if their property was set on fire!!I think not!! How the hell anyone stops them if they move boulders,cut gates and demolish trees I do not know!
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  09:19:21  Show Profile
Magistrates in Worthing gave baliffs an order to move them from Hill Barn Park area, which they did successfully. Get yer ass into gear APC/ADC and get same order. If the councils keep moving them west they will eventaully end up back in Ireland from where most of them originate. IMHO....lol
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  10:01:51  Show Profile
Are this lot a different bunch to the lot that were here in May?
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  12:26:45  Show Profile
I'm sure the appropriate authorities; ie. the landowner, which I imagine is the local Council, will make application for a Court Order to the County Court, and then the County Court bailiffs will execute the Order by seeing them off the land. (As indicated by roosterbri, at a previous location.)
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  13:18:41  Show Profile
Extract from APC Leisure Committe meeting 27/7/11:
"Councillor Verrinder said there were many items on the Agenda for Mayflower Park in the long term which included the following, and would be included under 'Amenities for Mayflower Park’ on future agendas.
• Tennis Courts
• Outdoor table tennis table(s)
• Small Pavilion
• Park ranger
• Mini Golf
• Boules
• Jubilee Crown of Trees – sighting to be in the Picnic/Family area in liaison with the Environment Committee. "

APC should have realised by now that what is needed more than anything else is an effective,secure fencing system around the park to prevent the repetition of these costly incursions by Travellers.
Less pipe dreams & more sensible management please.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  13:30:37  Show Profile
From what I can gather some children made a fire, the fire brigade had to destroy some fencing to access it - and guess who were waiting to use that access.

Like I've said before - where there's a will ....

Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  14:23:46  Show Profile
Ok a lot of summising going on and a lot of guesswork.
These are some facts:
They did not move the concrete blocks to get in. They came in through the school entrance at the back - where they got in last time.

No-one knows who set fire to the trees, or who sawed through the fencing and shrubs to get entrance to our field - it is a strange co-incidence that the travellers arrived as the fire brigade left.

Councillor Verrinder and Leisure minutes - this is what that committee does, it tries to provide a nice environment for us all to enjoy. This isnt pipe dreams, this is something for us all, who work and pay tax and have a nice place to live because we look after it...............should I go on.

The Environment committee deal with trying to stop the travellers and are working on it - however, you tell me what in this world can be put up to stop them if they are now using chain saws to break through, without making the place like fort knox?

Go back to Ireland where they come from - Sorry, wrong again. I spoke to a lot of them last night, many are from Wales, some from more local - Surrey. Did not find any Irish there.

APC - get your ass in gear..............
Well, there were 4 PC people there last night for around 2 hours including the Clerk.

Fact:
The Police assured everyone that if they allowed them on the site for the night, they would come back this morning and issue a section 61 notice, which meant they had to leave TODAY.
The travellers were aware of this and were already out scouting for another site.

Fact:
This morning, the police have gone back on their word and are now NOT going to issue this notice.
Lets not get into reasons etc. The fact is they lied to everyone to get those vehicles off the road and out of the way.

Fact:
West Sussex in their wisdom have now gone along and secured the entrance the travellers have been using.
Now they cannot get off the site.

Fact:
the travellers are now breaking down fencing at the far end of Mayflower Park to get off to the A259 using the footpath.

Fact:
The Parish Council and every resident in this Parish have been let down more than badly by the Police.
the PC now have to go through the standard format of issuing every caravan with eviction notice, which they are doing now.
Although this gives them in theory some 48 hours, that of course means after the weekend............
The travellers know every inch of the law and they know how to spin this out, because THEY HAVE RIGHTS!

So, what about OUR RIGHTS.
That seems second best. School holidays, a lovely field for the youngsters to play in, a skatepark, kiddies playgrounds, all the things we work hard to pay for from our taxes and we cannot use them.
Our children were happy to share their skatebowl last night, but were rewarded by the traveller children trying to fill it up with stones. Where are OUR RIGHTS? where are the rights of OUR CHILDREN?

We need action, we need people power and we need to make the authorities realise we are not going to keep accepting this absolute load of rubbish that keeps being thrown at us and being lied to.

Any SENSIBLE suggestions?

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies

Edited by - patty on 04 Aug 2011 14:26:14
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  14:42:23  Show Profile
Patty
You seem to lay blame at WSCC & Sussex Police doors for the appalling response & I believe you may be correct but then perhaps rather than just pass the buck the first thing APC could do is make formal complaints to both organisations as otherwise this indolence will continue. They are both as accountable to the public as APC & should be answerable for their action/inaction.
With regard to securing the park if a professional security review is undertaken then it should not be necessary to turn the area into a Colditz to prevent unlawful access but obviously the measures taken to date have been ineffective.
Neither is there any point in spending taxpayers money in trying to create a shangrila if travellers & vandals then spoil things.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  15:39:06  Show Profile
I am not an apologist for the Police, but there is a misunderstanding of the role of the Police in civil matters.

What can the Police do in such matters?

The Police will visit the site and in certain circumstances, may use powers under Sec. 61 of the Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994.
These powers will only be used in situations of serious criminality or serious public disorder.

It is for the Police alone to decide if Sec. 61 is to be used.

The duty of the Police is to preserve the peace and prevent crime.

Trespass on land, by itself, is not a criminal offence. It comes within the Civil Law.

Prevention of Trespass and the removal of trespassers are the responsibility of the landowner and not the Police. That is how it is whether we like it or not.

If the Police had the power under legislation, to remove immediately, such travellers, this problem would have been eradicated many years ago, but would have placed much greater pressure on Local Authorities to provide more authorised sites.

It is also in legislation that these travellers have a legal right to move around and they know all their rights in the law and use them.

From what Patty says, it would appear that the Police should not have indicated that they would use a Sec 61 notice, but they were legally bound not to do so and were correct not to do so, under the law as it stands, however irritating and annoying that may be.

To get to Patty's final question.

I suggest there is no point whatever in trying to deal with each situation as it occurs, after the event, once or twice a year, at great annoyance for residents. The legislation and powers available, do not favour the local resident and the travellers know that and take advantage of it.

I suggest the answer lies in "Prevention of Trespass." We have to make the situation and location so difficult for these people, that they will move on twenty miles along the road and try elsewhere. That is a short term answer and ceates problems for others, but the legislation force one inttaking that view.

APC/ADC/WSCC have the autumn, the winter, and the early spring of next year to plan and implement a strategy to achieve that objective.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  18:20:49  Show Profile
I am sorry to be a pessimist but I would be willing to bet that they are going nowhere until THEY want to leave and return to there permanant site in London.

They only sure way to stop them returning is to make sure they don't get easy money down here doing driveways/roofing or whatever other scam they are on at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  19:50:53  Show Profile
We walked past the travellers' site this evening (7.15pm). We had just read the APC "Notice to leave" on the gate at Mayflower Way when 4 teenagers (3 boys and a girl) came up, read the notice, and tore it down!
Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  07:20:54  Show Profile
The fire brigade did NOT have to break any fencing to gain access to the park to put the fire out. The travellers broke the other side of the gate so they didn't need to even break the chain! At least whatever monies had been reserved for making the park into paradise (it already is for those that regularly take drugs,drink etc up there) can now be used to clear up a much worse mess than was created last year. WSCC aren't bothered about the situation now because the travellers are not on their land! The WSCC councillor actually allowed them on to their land in the first place as the vans were clogging up the roads and they had threatened to stay there all night if they weren't let in - so what!! The APC should just sell the land off to a developer and put lots of houses on it. It is such a disgrace up there, who would want to walk around it anyway?
Go to Top of Page

popcorn
Average Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  08:45:13  Show Profile
You are quite right grumpy girl, the fire brigade DID NOT damange the fencing, and yes the the Councillor did allow them access into Mayflower as they were blocking the road, he should have let them stay in the road and get the police to move them for obstruction. Also two of the travellers were using chain saws
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  14:21:55  Show Profile
I was the councillor who instigated the preventative measures limiting access to Mayflower Park. Out of curiosity, I visited Mayflower Way yesterday to see the situation for myself. The preventative measures seem to have worked in principle, apart from some fencing being removed at the entrance and the height barrier being unlocked. Who did this I do not know, I was not there so don't feel I should comment.

What did get me very annoyed was that a Community Support Officer and his Landrover were present and when I explained my presence, I was asked to move my car away from the entrance. I did so,only for the CSO to open the height barrier to allow access to a pick-up truck belonging to the travellers.
I then suggested that the idea was to let them out, not let them in. The reply was "I'm doing what my Sargeant has told me and that it would not be for much longer"
When I said I was pleased they were being moved on, I was told that that was not the case but the Sargeant was arranging for the concrete blocks to be removed so that he didn't have to stay there.
At this point my frustration got the better of me, and I asked the officer which community he was supporting, the one providing his company vehicle, uniform and wages or the travelling community he was assisting in gaining unlawful entrance onto Mayflower Park. At this point he walked away and opened the height barrier again for another travellers vehicle to enter.
At this point I totally lost it and was asked to stop swearing for which I apologise, I thought that was my cue to leave.

The Police will be attending the next Angmering Parish Council Meeting and I THINK THIS WOULD BE AN IDEAL OPPORTUNITY for all concerned parties to attend and ask the police to address your concerns.

Quote from 'Patty'
At the next full Parish Council meeting in the Village Hall on Monday 12th September, Police Sgts. Christine Holyoake and Caroline Kendall will be there to give a presentation on an exciting project called ROC. It is about helping in our community.

I went to this presentation a couple of months ago and found it very very interesting. It gave an insight into what the police have to do and how they manage things and why. I found it extremely refreshing, honest and full of common sense.

Edited by - Nigel on 05 Aug 2011 17:12:52
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  18:16:24  Show Profile
Will the Village Hall be big enough! I expect there to be a large turn out for this one. Common sense isn't something that gets used much nowadays.

What time is the meeting?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  18:56:53  Show Profile
Meeting with be at 7.30pm.

The last time there was a meeting that involved travellers, the Village Hall overflowed and there were dozens of people left outside. Of course, this meeting is not about travellers - it's a normal APC meeting at which the Police will be giving a presentation.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  21:41:06  Show Profile
The presentation that I had arranged with the police is something entirely different to the problems that are occurring at the moment, and the police officers that are due to come will not be able to answer the questions that everyone wants to ask as they are from a completely different section of the police.

It is really unfortunate that this has all come at the same time.

Obviously the Pc are taking necessary actions with Police, and every other authority necessary to try to sort this problem out.

A court order is being issued on Wednesday, and the travellers are due to be out either Wednesday or Thursday unless of course, they find another of their rights to stop this being imposed.

Once we have got them off please be assured the PC will be holding a general meeting with the public to discuss this.
it will not be ignored, swept under the table or filed.
It is important that we all work together on this problem and it would seem the best way to start the process is to have this meeting.

Notices will go out as soon as a date has been arranged and I will ask Neil to put a posting on his news page as well.

In fairness to people who still do not have access to the internet or walk past noticeboards, it may be best to arrange a future date that can co-incide with the next newsletter - that way we can be assured that every single household is aware of the meeting.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  22:38:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nigel

I was the councillor who instigated the preventative measures limiting access to Mayflower Park.

So - with Mayflower way (few residences) being out, they threaded their way through Bramley Green (hundreds of residences) to gain access via Rowan way instead, where the obstacles were easier to overcome.

quote:
What did get me very annoyed was that a Community Support Officer and his Landrover were present and when I explained my presence, I was asked to move my car away from the entrance. I did so,only for the CSO to open the height barrier to allow access to a pick-up truck belonging to the travellers..........................

When I said I was pleased they were being moved on, I was told that that was not the case but the Sargeant was arranging for the concrete blocks to be removed so that he didn't have to stay there.........................

I asked the officer which community he was supporting, the one providing his company vehicle, uniform and wages or the travelling community he was assisting in gaining unlawful entrance onto Mayflower Park. At this point he walked away and opened the height barrier again for another travellers vehicle to enter.

The officer was indeed supporting the community that pays him etc, WSCC blocked the access where the travellers had broken in and they couldn't get out the same way or any other way - so they made other ways, like driving down the footpath from the skatepark and then wrecking other fences etc to get out on the A259.

All the police were doing - knowing that they would come and go as they pleased anyway until such time as they can be legally moved (or they get bored, whichever comes first) - was ensuring they took an exit that caused the least disruption to both residents and traffic. The lesser of two evils - as explained to you yesterday when you came to our shop to sound off.

(Note to anyone - a framing/craft shop is not the place to visit/phone for these matters - it's the office next door you want)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  23:10:27  Show Profile
Does anyone know how other communities/Councils have made their amenity sites Traveller Proof? There must be a tried and tested ssolution somewhere. The clean-up and repair costs must be large.Is there a figure for this, and who pays?
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  23:51:43  Show Profile
We're not alone!

I started a topic on another forum with a link to this - here's some selected replies ........

" .....feel sorry for residents of your village. This is the latest news on a protracted 'eviction' from dale farm in crays hill Essex - I think this has been going on since 2004 , maybe longer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/aug/03/travellers-dale-farm-fight-eviction

if you google dale farm there are pages and pages of info, even a wiki page devoted to the subject. wish you all luck to resolve the problem."

(Bath) "We had some travellers arrive every year near us. Fences were built, but they broke those and got in. They left only when they wanted, but the mess they left behind was unbelievable.

After they left one year, it was decided that the only way to stop them was to dig out a trench all the way around and use the earth to build an earth wall besides it. They planted loads of plants along to make it look pretty. We have never had them back since. Of course the problem with this is it stops access for other vehicles as well, it didn't matter here but may be an issue elsewhere."

"There was a problem with travellers in one part of Devon felling trees on private land and selling the timber.

It has also been long suspected that they are involved with killing deer and sheep for meat, which they then sell.

Nothing was ever done to stop them in either case. The authorities are just not interested"

This would not be a go-er ..... "Farmers know how to deal with this. Can't you get a local farmer to supply a tanker load of pig slurry to the site?

It not only stinks, but will attract every fly for miles and the flies will be in their caravans and they will know what the flies will bring with them. Pig poo!

They will be moving on in no time flat!"

I think I'd rather have the travellers!

Edited by - BFA on 05 Aug 2011 23:55:18
Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  08:12:26  Show Profile
What happened to the court order that was supposed to be issued this Thursday just gone? Gone missing, I suppose. So, now we have to wait until next Wednesday for it to be issued that means we keep the travellers for another week or so and probably even longer as the August bank holiday approaches. I hope the APC have enough funds in their coffers to pay for the clear-up. On another matter, how absolutely ridiculous to have a parish council meeting, invite the police to attend and then tell us they can't answer questions on the very subject that is driving us to distraction now but we can all get involved in some other hair-brained community project. Has anybody seen our Police Minister and local MP Mr Herbert anywhere? This may all be happening in his constituency but definitely is not on his patch!
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  12:32:45  Show Profile
Patty
You say "The presentation that I had arranged with the police is something entirely different to the problems that are occurring at the moment, and the police officers that are due to come will not be able to answer the questions that everyone wants to ask as they are from a completely different section of the police."

Sussex police website shows that PS Carolyn Kendall (one of the 2 attending) is in fact a Sussex Police Gypsy Traveller Liaison Officer & should be in an ideal position to answer any questions on this matter.it may also be the only opportunity to question them on this topic as they don't seem too eager to attend monthly APC meetings.

As far as our MP is concerned there is no photo opportunity for him
so he is no doubt taking advantage of the long holiday well away from the constituency.
Go to Top of Page

popcorn
Average Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  12:44:56  Show Profile
Maybe those wooden stumps that they have near the community centre and in Goring to keep the travellers off the land should work, I believe they used to have problems with travellers in Goring but once the stumps were put in they have not had any more problems, I don't know how much it would cost, but probably it would be cheaper in the long run, rather than keep spending money clearing up all the mess and damage after they leave.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  13:28:52  Show Profile
Whatever security measures are taken they must be taken now & be effective as the continuing problem is blighting the area & generating even more antipathy towards travellers & officialdom which continues to let down the public it is supposed to serve.
APC should therefore put a hold on its stated projects & concentrate resources on resolving this problem once & for all because a change in legislation will never happen with the apathetic MPs,local authorities & police forces we have & whilst public response has been fairly muted to date if inadequate action is taken then the situation can only worsen.

NB: The expressions misfeasance and nonfeasance are used in English law with reference to the discharge of public obligations existing by common law, custom or statute & are most often used with reference to the conduct of municipal authorities with reference to the discharge of their statutory obligations. Nonfeasance is a term that describes a failure to act that results in harm to another party. Misfeasance, by contrast, describes some affirmative act that, though legal, causes harm.

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  14:29:04  Show Profile
popcorn, I think if you wriggle the dogteeth (wooden stumps) they can be pulled out fairly easily unless they are concreted in. They initially had problems with then down at Goring some years' ago. Ones between Bramley Green and Mill Road have also come out quite easily.
Go to Top of Page

popcorn
Average Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  14:49:49  Show Profile
Neil, I understand what you are saying, but if they were dug deep enough and concreted we would not have that problem, which would mean the chain link fencing could come down and take away the eyesore along the pathway once and for all.I also think the PC, Angmering School and WSCC put their heads together and maybe able to find some sort of funding to have this done.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  15:09:44  Show Profile
Dig them as deep as you like with as much concrete as you like - these people use chainsaws!

Even if the posts were metal and not wood you'd still have to wonder how they would be legally removed if they needed to be and if the travellers would be capable of removing them in the same way - they probably would, but with less care.

Once more - "where there's a will there's a way" so what can be done to remove the will I wonder?

I would have thought W Sussex could come up with something brilliant, after all they put our pinch points in place which removed a lot of people's will to come to Angmering!

Edited by - BFA on 06 Aug 2011 15:13:44
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  19:39:57  Show Profile
I believe the authorities "reasoning" is that if they were to move the travellers on then they would not leave the area as previous experience has shown. It is likely that they would go to Fletchers field or the Woodlands and cause damage there.
It is simply not practical or effective to attempt to secure every piece of open land.
The government recently had the opportunity to make trespass a criminal matter and chose not to do so.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  11:17:39  Show Profile

Angmeringpaul is probably correct, Mayflower Park was sacrificed to protect other areas with more "active" supporters but
whilst securing every piece of open land" may not be practical, Mayflower Park is a large enough tract of land to accomodate large groups of travellers & has been regularly invaded so must be viewed as an inevitable target requiring immediate attention.

Because the Government chose not to make trespass a criminal offence this does not excuse the police from acting on other criminal offences committed - criminal damage,arson,public order & traffic offences etc. but their inaction demonstrates either a bias in favour of, or a fear of travellers which they do not show to the general public.

What exactly are our District & County Councillors doing in regard to this problem?
Go to Top of Page

popcorn
Average Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  12:18:55  Show Profile
Nought!
Go to Top of Page

Commuter

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  13:26:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BRAM

Angmeringpaul is probably correct, Mayflower Park was sacrificed to protect other areas with more "active" supporters but
whilst securing every piece of open land" may not be practical, Mayflower Park is a large enough tract of land to accomodate large groups of travellers & has been regularly invaded so must be viewed as an inevitable target requiring immediate attention.

Because the Government chose not to make trespass a criminal offence this does not excuse the police from acting on other criminal offences committed - criminal damage,arson,public order & traffic offences etc. but their inaction demonstrates either a bias in favour of, or a fear of travellers which they do not show to the general public.

What exactly are our District & County Councillors doing in regard to this problem?

I sympathise with the police position to the extent that they can’t arrest and charge individual members of a group for offences such as criminal damage and arson if there is no evidence as to who exactly did it. Given the strength of feeling amongst effected residents, they should seek to film potentially criminal behaviour, thus providing evidence to compel the police to act. Or, why not push the council to install cctv, or club together for a system?

Commuter
Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  13:32:16  Show Profile
Anybody noticed how quiet the APC has been on the matter? It is now their problem - not WSCC and are we hearing about any measures being taken or meetings or anything? Whilst it is all happening on Mayflower Park and not outside their own front doors, they cannot be bothered about it. Sell the land, concrete the park over and put 1,400 houses on it. We can't use it as a park anyway. If it's not travellers, it's youths on benders or vandals. Not much difference between them I think! Time for some action and not just empty promises by the authorities. Does anybody know if APC have had the concrete blocks moved from the entrance to the park to facilitate the travellers' ease of driving in and out? Nearly got killed this morning on my bike as one of them roared down Mayflower Way doing about 60 mph
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  14:02:03  Show Profile
""Sell the land, concrete the park over and put 1,400 houses on it. We can't use it as a park anyway. If it's not travellers, it's youths on benders or vandals. Not much difference between them I think! Time for some action and not just empty promises by the authorities.""

Right on grumpygirl.....a good ""Sensible"" answer IMHO...

Edited by - roosterbri on 07 Aug 2011 14:03:08
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  14:12:44  Show Profile
Hear hear GrumpyGirl Mayflower Park may as well be an extension of Bramley Green housing estate for all the use it affords residents.

Perhaps then the travellers would invade Fletchers Field & share the misery equally around Angmering, but I suspect that immediate action would be taken to remove them.

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  15:26:20  Show Profile
Patty's posting on Friday stated what APC were doing and also that they intended to hold a general meeting with the public, which obviously will take a little time to arrange.

I sometimes take issue with APC over matters but I think it is unfair to expect immediate response to every potential solution put forward here. However, no doubt a number of APC councillors read these Forums and will consider the merits of posters' solutions.
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  15:45:05  Show Profile
It is said that what the travellers do in wanton vandalism, the same is said about any youths.
Sorry Grumpy Girl, but your idea is to me no better or no different. I'm sure there are many residents of Angmering that don't want to see another housing estate (sorry, development) in our village. It is proven that large estates breed vandalism and anti-social behaviour and it seems that your estate gets its share, surely enlarging it would not be the answer.
Mayflower Park is the only large piece of open land that this village owns so it is my opinion that it stays as open land for the benefit of all villagers, not just the ones who can afford a new house.

I hope that your husband, who is a councillor on both the planning committee and the enviroment committee, not to mention wanting to disband the policy & finance committee, will take into consideration not only your views, but mine and those of like minded people should the time come for your ideas to be discussed by the council
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  17:31:44  Show Profile
I can't believe people are talking about 'building an estate' on the park to relieve the problem, my personal view on that is it seems vastly over the top.

Surely the ramifications of adding hundreds of people to the area would introduce more 'youths on benders' and 'vandals'

I don't claim to know the answer to the problem, but I don't think building houses on the area is going to do any more than rename the problems.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000