Page: of 2

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  20:34:23  Show Profile
Nice to meet you Stephen.

Fresh eyes are always good thing.
They have certainly proved worth while in the past.

Good luck at the election and to everyone.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  00:18:58  Show Profile
Hi, just a few words to try and win your vote on May 5th.
I'm Nigel Nunn, lived in Angmering for over 20yrs. and been the Parish Council Chairman for the last 4yrs. I don't profess to be a financial wizzkid or hold university degrees, I just have a belief in where I live. I like the rural nature and will fight to maintain this if re-elected. I also believe in family life and try to consider all ages in my decisions. This parish faces its biggest challenge in the coming years, and I would like to be part of that.

Never judge what you don't understand.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  07:27:12  Show Profile
Thanks, Nigel. That's 4 of the 15 candidates who have now told us here on the Forums more about themselves and why they are standing.

Is anyone aware if any of the other candidates have informed the electorate by leafleting? I have not had any such communication to date. No doubt those with postal votes will start sending them off this week.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  08:52:41  Show Profile
We have had a very informative leaflet in respect of Phil Leverick, so he has clearly covered some parts of the village.

We have also had a leaflet for Paul Bicknell, in respect of his standing again for District Council, which indicates his history and interests. I obviously have no idea if he will circulate a separate leaflet for Parish Council, as he is again standing for both. I would not think it necessary to do so.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2011 :  06:25:27  Show Profile
It would be interesting to know just how many PC meetings the existing PC's attend. Perhaps the Clerk to the Council could help in providing this info
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2011 :  13:03:03  Show Profile
Have you asked him? I would rather he got on with his office duties than surfing internet forums.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2011 :  19:06:21  Show Profile
Oh dear, what did I say in my 'presentation' ? Often wrong?
Looks like I have done it again!

Apparently, the forms I received from the Commission are NOT what I can claim, but are the maximum I can SPEND!
It seems we have to declare everything we have spent on electioneering (?) and the figures given, are the maximum allowed.
We do NOT get it or claim it back!

Hope this puts it right. I know some of my colleagues are calling me a few choice names about this one!

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2011 :  12:47:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aramis

Have you asked him? I would rather he got on with his office duties than surfing internet forums.

I agree I would hope he was not ""surfing the NET"" as I am sure he is not but I would also hope he was aware of this site
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  12:55:51  Show Profile
Just in case you are not aware...........
the PC have now posted on their web site a short profile of each candidate standing for PC.
These are as supplied by the candidates themselves.

It is also printed out and in the window of the office.

Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  13:10:00  Show Profile
Link http://www.angmeringparishcouncil.gov.uk/assets/Candidatesforparishelections2011.pdf

What would she do without her PA! (With the 'IT' in the middle removed)
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  18:49:57  Show Profile
On the District Council Elections topic, Angmering Resident wrote (partially off topic):
quote:
We had a leaflet from one of the Parish Candidates, but that's all apart from the few that have posted on the forum. Nothing seen about the District Council ones.

I note the Parish Council have now posted profiles on their website: http://www.angmeringparishcouncil.gov.uk/assets/Candidatesforparishelections2011.pdf

Unfortunately too late for us though, as we posted our postal votes last week, and we didn't have much to choose from!

Maybe next time the Parish Council website could have the info a bit earlier, and the District Council could make info available about those candidates?
I posted my voting forms off before the Parish Council posted the information about candidates in their window and on their website. Indeed, the postal voting forms received more than two weeks' ago urged us to send them off immediately.

However, we should not blame APC for any delays. They have no obligation to produce anything on behalf of candidates. It is the prime responsibility of the candidates themselves to tell us more about themselves and the majority have failed to do just that. Many just could not be bothered but expect us to vote for them!

Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  19:42:19  Show Profile
Agree Neil.
Actually, fair do's. the PC had their act together well in advance requesting all the Candidates to send in around 100 words about themselves, so that they could publish the details on their web site.

Unfortunately the rules state it has to be ALL or nothing, and so nothing could be done until everyone had submitted their 'words'.

Needless to say, there were a few who needed chasing again and again, hence why it only appeared last week.

Those that put in their 'words' early have been penalised once again, because of these few.

Go to Top of Page

MrT
Average Member

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  16:24:57  Show Profile
Over here in East Preston we've had nothing through the door at all apart from the 'no to AV' material which has cascaded in (sorry maybe we had one leaflet from the Conservatives).

For the firt time in my life I may go to vote, on the AV referendum, then spoil my paper for the council election as I really do have no information at all to help me choose.

:-(
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  17:08:04  Show Profile
There is no parish council election for East Preston as there are fewer nominations than seats on the EP Parish Council. The 10 nominated councillors will form a new but unelected parish council.

However, there are 5 candidates standing for election as Arun District councillors for the 3 positions representing the EP with Kingston Ward and therefore, Mr T, a ballot paper containing their names will be presented to you at your polling station tomorrow. If you wish to see who is standing beforehand, click on the following link:

http://www1.arun.gov.uk/assets/Elections/District&ParishElections/NoticeofPoll&PollingStation-District/EastPrestonwithKingstonWard.pdf

In Angmering, only the Conservatives seem to have bothered putting out election material - at least in my road. Perhaps the others are just putting up token resistance and saving money by not producing leaflets.
Go to Top of Page

MrT
Average Member

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  23:40:13  Show Profile
If only EP had a web forum as useful as Angmering has!

Looks like the voters have to go find out for themselves who is standing. Mrs T and I are somewhat disgruntled about the lack of info. The AV referendum I do feel strongly about but it is hard to get motivated to vote for the council candidates if they aren't motivated enough to make any effort at all to catch our attention.

Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  20:49:32  Show Profile
Well, It's all over now, and the results are out. I hope those that spoiled their votes will be happy with the outcome, but I doubt it. Can't wait for the next meeting of the PC.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  21:00:35  Show Profile
Yes, an interesting result. I would not be concerned about those few that "spoiled their voting slips." They are an irrelevance, and I've never understood what point they are attempting to make. Whatever it is, it has no effect whatsoever.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  21:20:25  Show Profile
Bert, I agree as spoiling the paper can only make a point if the reason is known - which it isn't. However, I understand that there were well over 100 invalid voting slips which, in this case, could have made a differnce at the lower end of the table.

The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  21:57:31  Show Profile
See AVL News page for results.

Well there's a shock; the chairman of APC for the last few years came 15th out of 15 candidates and was not re-elected!

Difficult to analyse the result. It seems that being higher up the list alphabetically may have helped as was stating on the ballot form that the candidate was an independent/resident. Leafleting or door knocking also seems to have helped.

I heard of one person who put X's in the first 13 boxes - probably a nuimber of others did the same.

Anybody got any other observations?
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  22:28:46  Show Profile
Neil, Not sure that alphabetical or resident/independant gives an answer as the two highest votes did not have a party against them, but were first alphbetically, but reversed in number of votes, and the two that were not elected were 11th and 14th alphabetically.

The joys of democracy. Let's hope they last longer than some previous councillors have.

Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  23:11:04  Show Profile
Whatever the choice of councillors it should worry politicians at all levels that the turnout again is very poor as it was at the General Election & none of the successful candidates can claim to hold a clear mandate from the majority of their constituents.
Despite the failure of the AV referendum to persuade voters there is a desperate need to clean up politics & provide a better electoral system than the one which currently installs the self serving politicians we have to suffer.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  11:51:42  Show Profile
BRAM, nobody can force individuals to take an interest in politics, either nationally or locally.

It is their personal choice for whatever reason, to be totally uninterested or indifferent to such matters, and as a consequence choose not to use their vote.

I think 45% is a good turn out for a local election, and you will find that when national election pollsters conduct a poll for national newspapers, TV, etc., they only use about 2,000 random individuals across a number of towns in the whole country, and this very small sample has been found to be accurate to + or - 2% across the whole voting population. So 45% will be entirely representative of the other 55%. This excuse, that losers use, to suggest the winners do not have a mandate, is well out of date and has been shown to be completely wrong.

So far as your view that they are, "self serving politicians that we have to suffer," you may be right, you may be wrong, but they speak very well of you.

Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  13:16:17  Show Profile
As to "self serving politicians" and "a councillor is like being an MP..you should be oblivious to all criticism and let it go straight over your head" I don't beleive either of these apply to the majority of councillors at parish level. In the main, they are not out to make a political career or even be remembered for posterity, just want to do something for the good and benefit of the area in which they live. They are generally "ordinary" folk and are not thick-skinned but have feelings like the rest of us.

A lot of the complaints on this forum and elsewhere are based on a perception that councillors ARE oblivious to criticism, so you can't have it both ways - unless of course you are a politician!

Anyway, the die is cast, so we enter a brave new world where all will be well.

Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  13:41:01  Show Profile
Bert
You are correct in that people cannot be forced to participate in the electoral process & so politicians will then argue that the austere measures introduced by the coalition have the support of the majority of the UK electorate & so those who do not vote then deserve the government & society that they get as a result of their apathy.
Whilst parish councillors may not be in the same league as MPs/MEPs/County Councillors it should be remembered that they are still in a position to squander taxpayers money.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

3 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  17:27:40  Show Profile
Good afternoon one and all.

As a duly elected Councillor I am grateful to all of you that voted for me. I promise this Parish that I will do to everything I can for the good of the community from the railway line to the top of Angmering Park. This may sound cheesy but you asked for it so you get it!

This Parish is a community and that means that it is not just the duly elected Councillors,the Parish Clerk and assistant Parish Clerks that do all the work, it is the duty of everyone in this ocmmunity to make it work and that means you lot as well.

There is a great deal to do and possibly very difficult times ahead that will benefit from all of us working together. Why not join the working parties and attend the open days and village events, put yourselves forward to help and make this a true community working together.

Yes more cheese, the difference is I mean it.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  19:49:15  Show Profile
Hello Susan. Well done for being elected, you were one of those that I voted for, and I'm sure the parish community will "benefit from all of us working together."

I am fully aware of the Localism Bill and the associated Neighbourhood Plan, which is currently in train.

1. When you say, "there is a great deal to do," I appreciate there were some major projects during the last four years, mainly the Community Centre, but I am unaware of any major projects for the forseeable future. Is it possible for you to provide a hint at what "there is a great deal to do," amounts to?

2. You also say, "There....are possibly very difficult times ahead."
I appreciate there are some necessary reductions in services at County and District Council level, but what aspects at Parish Council level cause you to see "possible very difficult times ahead."
I do not see the Parish Council precept being unduly affected, if at all?

I am not trying to be difficult, I am genuinely interested in why you have made these two points.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000