Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  16:06:09  Show Profile
I have to say, I am rather surprised at the lack of publicity of the forthcoming election of the Angmering Parish Council, on the APC website.

I appreciate the recent newsletter distributed around the village did include an article about it, and I thought that particular newsletter was quite good, for residents who do not have access to this and the APC website, and are not always aware of events and issues.

However, on the APC website News Page, I would have expected to see a specific entry, held at the top of the page for the next few weeks, indicating that the current term of the APC ends soon, and parish council elections will be held, if sufficient individuals put themselves forward, on May 5th, and how to go about it.

There is, as of today (25th Feb.) no such entry on the APC website.

There is an article about the tree planting day and the parish fete, which are fine, and then an article headed "Housing Consultation."

This article is not about housing, but the need for a new Neighbourhood or parish plan, and has a footnote at the bottom of it,...... "As a reminder, the whole Parish Council is to be subject to re-election on 5th May...."

This is the only mention on the whole of the News Page of the Parish Council website, that an election is due in a few weeks.

I think this is very poor. It may be that all the current PC's are willing to stand again, but other residents should be made aware that they can put themselves up for election. The APC website should carry a specific entry of this important event, not just a footnote tucked away, on an unrelated subject.

Arun District Council have already held two presentations for people who may be thinking of standing for election as a Parish Councillor, but I have seen not one jot of these presentations being advertised or mentioned for information, on the APC website. Many prospective PC's from other parishes attended these presentations.

There has been criticism in the past, that residents do not put themselves up for election, and we go through the charade of co-opting onto the PC, after the election date.

I have thought over recent months, with the appointment of the new Clerk, and the APC website being slightly better presented, that things were better, but this lack of publicity for the Parish Council election, is quite astonishing.

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  22:26:53  Show Profile
Bert, I'm sure you'll take it all in hand and sort it out when you are elected.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  09:36:10  Show Profile
Aramis.
Are you suggesting that nobody in the village, should dare to make comment about this important parish election?

Perhaps you don't think it's important. I would have thought that you do think the election of local Government was important.
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  22:08:03  Show Profile
Bert,

Where on earth in my comment do you find anything to give rise to your question? I made no such suggestion. My suggestion is that as you appear to have a strong view about what the PC should be doing, then you should get out from behind the anonymity of a keyboard and get yourself onto the Council and do something about it instead of just complaining.

Equally, I have given you no indication of whether I think it important or not so please don't seek to infer something about it.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  22:39:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aramis

... as you appear to have a strong view about what the PC should be doing, then you should get out from behind the anonymity of a keyboard and get yourself onto the Council and do something about it... .

One does not have to be a chef to be a food critic/artist to be an art critic .... etc.

Anyway, the APC newsletter goes out to ALL households in the parish, but it really would have been a good idea to have some sort of 'sticky' on the APC website to coincide with it and the notice in the office window, and maybe that will happen and is planned to, very soon.

The footnote at the bottom of the housing consulation article on APC's website isn't much cop - just an unrelated PS.

But there is a newsletter link on APC's website which is far easier to come across and this information is the first thing you see on the PDF. http://www.angmeringparishcouncil.gov.uk/assets/angmeringparishnewswinter2011.pdf Having said that the newsletters are in the wrong order, the oldest is at the top of a long list, and the current one is at the bottom. New goes on top, surely?

I'm guessing APC's website doesn't get a fantastic amount of hits and this forum gets far more, so some more awareness has been created for them. I'd hope that anyone with a desire to be a Parish Councillor would be searching for information, be it on the web or otherwise, not that there's anything wrong with only being given the idea with a few months to spare.

Edited by - BFA on 26 Feb 2011 22:44:03
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  10:10:32  Show Profile
Aramis.

It takes a sarcastic comment to recognise another.
Your initial comment, "..that I would sort it all out when elected.."
has little logic, as once elected, it's too late to sort out, the election, if we have one, has by then, occurred.

However, you actually miss my point.

I do not, as you say, "..have a strong view about what the PC should be doing.." but I do take an interest.

I actually think the current 13 PC's are fine, and I would be quite happy for them all to be re-elected, if each of them seek re-election. I do not like the charade of some standing, an insufficient number to hold an election, and then others being co-opted later.

The point you appear to miss, by having a dig at my comments, (which is fair enough, I didn't think you would let it go by) is quite obvious from my initial post.

On this website, on these forums, over the years, we have had many comments, particularly when there were vacancies, that very few Angmering residents put themselves up for election to the PC. One Parish Councillor, whom I particularly respect, has made this point many times on these forums.

As you well know, only one of the current 13 PC's has actually been elected by the residents.

I am not criticising the PC. This actually is an administrative matter.

We have the opportunity for Parish Council elections only every four years. They are due in a few weeks. The nominations actually have to be in quite soon, about five weeks.

There is a lot of work for ADC to do to prepare for these elections as you know very well, due to it being responsible for all the District elections , all the Parish Council elections and the AV election, all the printing of necessary papers etc. so there is not the two months that some may imagine.

I happened to see last week that East Preston PC put a specific item on their website, in January, in respect of the upcoming parish elections, inviting residents to take an interest and think about putting themself up for election, and notifying candidates of the presenations by ADC, two of which have already taken place.

It is my view, as a resident of Angmering, a Council Tax payer, and someone who is interested in village matters, that I am entitled to make comment about this subject on this website. If you think anything I mentioned in my initial post, was inaccurate, please let me know, and if you think I must not make any such comment, then of course I will make no further comment on local matters, which will tend to defeat the object of this forum.

My main point Aramis, is that we have had many comments in the past about the lack of candidates and interest in this subject. Now, when we are a just a few weeks away from nominations being in, there is a small footnote at the bottom of a totally unrelated subject, on the APC website, as the only mention of this election, which I find astonishing and I have made comment about that on this website, which is for local residents about local matters including the Parish Council.

I happen to think, a specific item, about the upcoming parish council elections and the associated presentations by ADC should have been on the APC website, some weeks ago. I am sorry if you disagree.

Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  19:40:35  Show Profile
Bert, fair play, and I know I shouldn't do it, but sometimes I just need the relaxation and it's a bit like shooting dead fish in a barrel - you just know that you're not going to miss. Sorry. I'll go back to Digital Spy, it gets really hot there at times.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  20:41:18  Show Profile
In case anyone is interested in standing for the coming PC elections, there is a very short time schedule for getting in your nomination papers : 25th March - 4th April
So...........dont delay.
Hope to see lots of new applicants this time.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  20:02:05  Show Profile
Patty.

As a matter of vague interest, is there a credible reason why the Angmering Parish Council website News page, recently carries articles on:-

Tree planting day
Horse race night
Parish fete
Angmering community led plan

but has avoided mentioning:-

Parish Council elections?
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  20:40:24  Show Profile
Bert, I have to say I have absolutely no idea.
Other than perhaps we have bogged them down with all these other functions going on!

I guess it may look like the subject is being avoided, but it was put in the newsletter which went to every household in the village and there are posters in the window and on the notice boards.
Trouble is, whatever they do, will never please everyone, but you do speak a very valid point and as we now know the short time limit for getting the forms in, perhaps now would be the time to request it be put on their news page.

You know Bert, it would be more than welcomed if you emailed the PC and asked them to put it on the newspage. Sometimes it can just be plain oversight, you know, its gone in the newsletter, put up posters and someone has plain and simply forgotten to put it on their website. It happens, the office are human and we can't knock that.

When you ring the office, you get a human being answer, none of this press 1,2,3,4 etc, and finally a voice saying 'for quality and training this call may be recorded....etc etc'. or 'please hold your call is important to us....etc etc.
So, if we have human beings running the office, we may/will get oversights.

Depsite however this may appear, the PC really, really do want as many people to apply to become Councillors - even the Councillors that are already there and planning to stand for election would welcome new applicants so I can promise you that as far as I am concerned (as I cannot speak for the rest), there is no holding back or big secrets.

How about a deal?
I will ask the office about putting this on their website if you agree to come and help plant a tree or two for the future.
(it seems I now have over 600 to plant!)I will even write your name on a bit of ribbon and tie it around the stake if you wish.

edited for spacing, too close together, hard to read!!

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies

Edited by - patty on 10 Mar 2011 20:42:08
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  21:41:18  Show Profile
For a wider readership, could not the PC put a notice on the AVL News page if they're really interested in getting more nominations? Few people will actually look at the PC's news page.
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  13:16:20  Show Profile
Well, despite the APC not going out and pushing a flyer through every door in the village, taking out full-page adverts in the local papers, and doing very fancy things on the interwebnet, it looks like there will be a contested full election for almost the first time in living memory.

My mole tells me that Angmering has 15 nominations for the 13 seats, and with a number of current councillors standing down, there are a few new faces around. However, as expected, not necessarily the ones who know all that is wrong with APC and how it can be fixed.

Perhaps they could do as suggested last time and put something on AVL - might liven it up as it seems rather quiet of late.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  16:05:26  Show Profile
Aaah - but if the HAD done all those things, they may have got 5 times as many applicants.
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  20:49:13  Show Profile
And they may not have. Would you really want 75 nominations to chose from? Looking at the forums, not sure if 75 people are even reading them currently. I'd rather have quality than quantity - unless we are talking $, £, or Cadburys chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  21:28:52  Show Profile
I am amazed that people put themselves forward for this kind of public service and I take my hat off to them.

To work long hours for little or no reward for the benefit of the community and subject to constant criticism (usually uninformed and without foundation) its not an appealing prospect really.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  07:15:49  Show Profile
We now know the candidates for the Parish Council election on 5 May - just over two weeks' time. For those who have opted for a postal vote, we will have time to ponder on who of the 13 of 15 candidates to vote for. However, the majority of voters will be presented with a bewildering list at the ballot box and have to make an instant decision.

For readers of these Forums, here is a list of the candidates in the order they appear on the voting form and what the form says about them:

1. ASH, Dr Steven John - 57 Chantryfield Road
2. BICKNELL, Paul Andrew - 6 Birch Close
3. BOS, Jennifer Hilda - 11 Highfield Close
4. FRANCIS, Susan Mary - 6 Garden Close (As a resident of the Parish)
5. GILLETT, Bob - 22 Mill Road Avenue
6. GRAHAM, Julia Helen Mary - 27 Roman Avenue (Resident)
7. HARRIS, Don - Viskas, The Avenals (Independent)
8. LEVERICK, Philip - 3 Wayside Road (Independent)
9. MARINER, Albert Frank Simon - Acorns, Arundel Road
10. MOUNTAIN, Steven Charles - 51 East Drive
11. NUNN, Nigel Henry - 152 Palmer Road
12. TURNER, Patricia - 4 Garden Close
13. VERRINDER, Chris - 41 Greenacres Ring
14. VERRINDER, Sylvia - 41 Greenacres Ring
15. WINN, Stephen James - 6 Rowan Way

Generally, there is a good spread across the Parish, although I would like to have seen a candidate from south of the A259. Unfortunately, many voters there believe (mistakenly) that they live in East Preston because of their postal address and it may be a shock to them when they are presented with the above list on Thursday week!

Of those standing for election, 9 of the 15 are existing parish councillors although I am not going to identify them here as they may or may not be better than new candidates. It's up to voters to decide.

I doubt whether many of the candidates will go to the effort or expense of electioneering, so how are voters going to know which 13 candidates to vote for? These Forums may be an ideal place for candidates to tell us more about themselves and why we should vote for them.

So, candidates, here is your opportunity. In the words of one well known chef and (slightly inebriated) chairman of Norwich City FC - LET'S BE 'AVING YOU !

I believe in responsible free speech. I do not necessarity agree with every statement made in these Forums and do not expect everybody to agree with me
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  11:24:24  Show Profile
How many votes do we get??
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  11:57:27  Show Profile
Thirteen for the Parish Council election and three for the District Council election.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  12:05:17  Show Profile
A thought. What if the Alternative Vote system was applied to THIS parish council election! How would you rank 15 candidates in order of preference?
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  12:40:51  Show Profile
We definitely need to know something about the new blood then
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  12:57:18  Show Profile
I was going to post this morning as concerned that many people may be totally confused as to what they are expected to be actually voting for. 3 votes on one page, 13 votes on another page.
We need this explained so that people understand that they do not have to make that many votes, if they do not want to.

However, this morning I have received in the post an expenses claim form from the Electoral Commission for my expenses in the upcoming election. Apparently I am entitled to claim up to £600 PLUS 5p per local government elector.

There is a whole list of what I can claim for, including travel and subsistence (we all know about that one).Hire of rooms, Design and printing costs for leaflets, even postage for sending them out.
It also says that printing costs can be included for leaflets not just advertising yourself, but for basically slagging off your oponents.
So, just for the Parish Council alone and not including the extra 5p, this could cost up to £9000.

I am not saying any of the candidates will take advantage of this, but for heavens sake, no one was forced to stand for the Parish Council, we did so, hopefully for the right reasons, one of which is to try to ensure money is spent sensibly, and I cannot see any circumstance in this world that would need us to spend ANY money on this election, let alone a budget of £600 plus.

No wonder so many of our politicians have been overclaiming if things are pushed at them like this - too tempting for many.

Really really mad at the moment, going off to calm down!!

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  17:46:57  Show Profile
Thanks, Pat. Well at least one of the 15 candidates has posted here.

Are the rest even worth voting for? How do they expect to get any votes if they do not tell us more about themselves and why they are standing? Is it because they don't want to be the first one to post?

Is this sheer arrogance or is it that they have a personal agenda for standing and don't want us to know why? I'm beginning to think the latter!

It is appreciated that one or two of them may not have access to the internet and presumably they will be putting leaflets about themselves through doors. If so, have they realised that those people with postal votes are sending them off already. Do some existing councillors think that people know their names and will vote for them regardless?

For the gutless or clueless 14, by not bothering to communicate in one way or another, I think that they are treating the electorate with contempt. Perhaps we should get rid of our parish council altogether!!!

If anybody knows any of the 14 other candidates perhaps you could give them a kick! At present, it looks as if this long awaited parish council election will be a total waste of time and money.

Personally, I will not vote for anyone who has not communicated with the electorate in some form!

Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  18:08:46  Show Profile
I guess another way of looking at this Neil, is that the people standing for the PC are not politicians and are generally, normal people living and working in the village and would be terribly embarrassed to do anything that was seen to be blowing their own trumpet so to speak.
It is very hard to talk about yourself without sounding arrogant or idealist etc etc, so perhaps this could be a major factor.

The Pc are trying to get all of the applicants to write a short resume about themselves that they can put on their web site, but not sure if everyone has come across yet. I know I was one of the latter to do it, found it very hard to write.

Have to admit I do not know some of the applicants at all and would welcome some info on them.

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  19:11:50  Show Profile
When a member of the public decides to become a parish council and wants to become a representative of villagers (for that is what they are), they have a duty to tell residents why they are standing. Otherwise, it would seem that they are just getting elected to pursue their own personal agenda.

It would seem the APC agrees with me if they are trying to get candidates to write a little bit about themselves.

If they are unable to express themselves by writing just a few sentences about their candidature in the quietness of their homes, then what hope is there for expressing themselves at council meetings.

In short, Pat, I cannot accept the argument about blowing their own trumpets. Nearly all councillors in the past have had a lot to say for themselves. I don't mean that unkindly. It's just the nature of people who want to do something for the community - they need to make themselves heard!

Present councillors who are seeking re-election, also need to state or remind us why they are standing. Nearly all of them got on to the parish council without election and the vast majority of parishioners have not got a clue who they are anyway. How about you being the first?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  20:10:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by neil
For the gutless or clueless 14 .......
I wish to modify that remark. Most of the existing parish councillors have proved anything but gutless and to those, I apologise. However, many councillors standing for election this time do not seem to understand the need to tell the public why they are standing. They should not rely on previously being a councillor as a guarantee of getting elected this time.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  20:20:02  Show Profile
Ok Neil. Good argument.

Well, I have been on the PC for the last 4 years, got in by default as although signed up for the election, there was not enough candidates, so we all got in!. For the last 2 years I have been vice chair of the council which holds no powers whatsoever, except to stand in for the chair if absent. Also been chair of Environment commitee for last 3 years.

My passions are: to keep the village a village, to provide facilities for the youth, and to recognise and respect villagers who have helped to keep this village the way it is.
Also to do my utmost to enforce common sense over some of the idiotic rules that control us.
Like to think I am a good listener but also known to not suffer fools lightly.
Also believe you can dissagree with someone without falling out.

Get frustrated when hands tied and not able to do simple tasks.
Support as many of the village organisations as possible.

Organiser of Traders Christmas night each year for last 14 years and founder member and secretary of the Youth Forum which owns the Youth Bus.

Tries hard at everything but often wrong, although will generally be the first to hold hands up and admit!!
Moved to village in 1984 so still a newcomer, and runs a shop in village with Hubby, John.
If I had time for hobbies they would be various crafts including crocheting, and writing ( I would love the time to write a book one day). I would also do a course to learn more about how to use computers properly.

Will that do Neil?
Any questions?

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  22:32:14  Show Profile
That's great, Pat. This demonstrates the sort of statement that can be made without "blowing one's own trumpet".

I hope this will now inspire other candidates to tell us a bit more about themselves and in which way they want to serve the community in often a difficult and unappreciated role.
Go to Top of Page

Angmering resident

4 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  13:41:15  Show Profile
Hi All,
Are any other candidates going to post info about themselves and what they stand for, so we can vote for them?

This would be helpful, especially for postal voters, who need to decide who to vote for before the 5th.

Also Don Harris is listed as 'Independent' - more information on what he stands for would be particularly of interest. I for one won't be voting for him unless I can find more information.

Any help would be appreciated people! Many thanks
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  19:15:53  Show Profile
I only recognise 3 names from that list that are registered on this forum, will the rest have even read this?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  19:54:21  Show Profile
Even if they don't read the Forums, there is a greater chance that a number of candidates read the AVL News page (and perhaps they should if they are really interested in what is going on in the village). The News article invites them to say more about themselves on the Forums for which, of course, they will need to register.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  23:27:16  Show Profile
To be perfectly honest, were I a wannabe parish councillor and a newcomer to the forum, reading some of the comments here and on previous topics, I would treat the forum, where my name and address has been published AND I've been bad-mouthed before I've even got here, with contempt!
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  06:23:40  Show Profile
BFA...surely to be a councillor is like being an MP..you should be oblivious to all criticism and let it go straight over your head
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  08:52:34  Show Profile
Looks like some candidates have had no intention of telling residents why they are standing. This appears to be treating the electorate with contempt with or without the Forums.

By comparison with many other Forums, comments on the Angmering Forums are relatively mild as you well know, BFA!

I find it difficult to accept how candidates who want to get our votes won't lift a finger to do something about getting them - there are a number of ways they can do this and not just on the Forums. Is this arrogance, contempt or just plain cluelessness?
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  09:24:14  Show Profile
I suspect many candidates, (previous PC's and those that had not stood before,) thought the same process would occur as had done so hitherto; ie. some of the previous PC's would stand down, and there would be insufficient "new" candidates to force an election, and that they would be automatically "elected," by default.

It is good to see 15 candidates for 13 places.

Go to Top of Page

Susan

3 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  18:25:13  Show Profile
Sorry for the delay everyone but I have only just been advised that you have kindly allowed us to speak to you about the forthcoming election.

So a little something about myself!

I have lived in the Parish of Angmering for over four years.

Together with my partner I own and run a small business which has been based in the village for approximately nine years and employ ten local people.

I am accountancy trained, worked in the city during the last recession and specialised in trouble shooting.

I was appointed to the Council a year ago and have enjoyed serving the parish during that time. I believe that we face difficult and interesting times ahead and would welcome the opportunity to continue to serve the community in the best way I can.

My main interests are planning, conservation, community life and saving the library. That does not mean I am not interested in the other areas because I am and will do my best to serve this community should you lect me on the 5th May

Thank you for listening

Susan Francis

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  18:40:38  Show Profile
Thanks for that, Susan. I'm sure readers will appreciate that you have made an effort to communicate with voters. Good luck on 5 May.

Well, we now know a little about 2 of the 15 candidates.
Go to Top of Page

Susan

3 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  18:43:44  Show Profile
I have only just read through the comments on this forum and I have to say I am somewhat surprised and would like to opportunity to defend myself and the other candidates.

I was unaware that we had been invited to take part in the forum. I work seven days a week and very often 12 hours a day. I ensure that Council time is allocated to ensure that I fullfill both my obligations and extra council activites. I sit on two committees, planning and environment as well as the Parish Council meeting, obviously. To say that we are not interested and arrogant is unfair.I have visited the Angmering Village Life website before and used it to find out about the village when I first moved here but by the time I have finished work, committee meeting dealt with tons of emails and eaten all I want to do at the end of the day is sleep!

The council members work hard, despite what anyone may think and to say that we are arrogant because we have not posted on this website is unfair.

As for letting people know you are standing for election, I have been talking to people and I apologise if you are not one of them.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  19:21:09  Show Profile
I'm not advocating that candidates should write on these Forums. I'm saying that they should use their best efforts to communicate with the electorate. There are several means of doing this. My comments still stand.
Go to Top of Page

Angmering resident

4 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  14:02:46  Show Profile
Thank you to Susan for adding something about herself on here. I really appreciate it and am sure others will as well.

I'm sorry if any candidates were not aware of the request for information to be posted about them on here - I hope they don't think our frustrations are negative to them personally. Forums are a place to vent frustrations and ask for information, I completely understand that not everyone sees them, or may not want to put information on the internet.

I do hope we get to know something about the remaining candidates, whether it's online or a leaflet drop, so we can make an informed choice.

I also hope my earlier request for information about Don Harris didn't come across the wrong way either - I am genuinely interested in voting for him and would like to know why he is standing.

Good luck to all candidates!
Go to Top of Page

stephen

2 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  15:11:43  Show Profile
RE: Elections 5th May 2011

I would like to introduce myself prior to the Parish Council Elections being held on the 5th May.

My name is Stephen Winn, I am 39 years old and married to Victoria. I am a local business owner and I live on Bramley Green, Angmering.

My motivation behind wanting to join the Angmering Parish Council is to give something back to the community in which I live, and also to be a fresh pair of eyes.

As a business owner I understand the pressures around costs. With the current situation in central government cutting budgets and services across the country, we as a community need to use our resources better, finding cheaper solutions without compromising our standards.

Vote for me Stephen Winn (Independent)
"Looking after the interests of our community"
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  19:44:52  Show Profile
Thanks, Stephen. This is the simple basic information that we voters want to know.

It's good that candidates are now coming forward. I would urge others to do the same as people will be sending off their postal votes shortly, if they haven't done already. The Forums are, of course, a cost free method of informing the electorate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000