Angmering Organisations & Clubs - Forum
 haskins & country fayre redevelopment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  18:27:13  Show Profile
soooo... having driven past the coutry fayre site earlier this week as they demolished it - and appeared to be burning everything (is that actually legal beside an A-road during the day), i then popped into Haskins to get some bits and bobs only to find they have closed their pets department and what little stock they have left didn't include what I wanted... are they also closing down for a while?

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  21:15:43  Show Profile
They are doing a full rebuild including the carpark. It is in a different position to the current buildings but there is some overlap which is why part of the current buildings are closed down. There was a feature on local TV news in the last few weeks. Plans of the new build are on display by the entrance doors. They are not closing down completely, but I gather they may be closing for a short time as they transfer from the current building to the new one. It is because they are not closing completely for the rebuild that it will take about a year to do. It should also result in some new jobs.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  09:01:08  Show Profile
I heard a rumour that its going to be an ASDA at the country fayre site. Any truth in that?

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  10:35:55  Show Profile
This rumour has been going around for years. There is absolutely no truth in it according to the chat I had with the owner a few months' ago. However, when County Fayre opens again, it will have a sizeable food hall.
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  18:16:28  Show Profile
so guess this is good news for the other garden centres and nurseries in the area as they can make a bit more while other businesses are out of action... good thing too because haskins are overpriced and not very competitive, so will be good that people have to make the effort to go to other independent places... i think the local nurseries and independent garden centres all have aspects that are better than country fayre and haskins...

re country fayre, the 500+ parking spaces does plenty to fuel a rumour... what kind of garden centre/food hall would need that much parking, that's a superstore sized parking provision...
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  07:35:14  Show Profile
Its a prime location, and lets face it, sainsburys is overpriced and outdated. I think it would be good to have a nearer alternative to tescos, Guess we'll have to waiti and see, I suppose there must be planning permission somewhere, any links Neil?

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  10:14:06  Show Profile
Of course, with 500 agreed parking places and now with unrestricted A1 retail use, it would be an attractive proposition for one of the large supermarkets to buy at some time in the future.

Apart from part of the dual carriageway near the entrance (which is in Angmering), the site itself is in Ferring.

Jammer, the relevant Planning Application numbers are FG/33/10 and FG/174/08. These applications (all documents and plans) can be seen on the Arun District Council website. I cannot give you an exact page reference as they are session timed. However, if you can easily get to them by going to the planning search page at the following address and inserting the above Planning Application numbers in the "Reference" box:

http://www1.arun.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=3922
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  15:28:05  Show Profile
Thanks very much Neil.

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: