Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering General - Forum
 Attn Bramley Green peeps - Southern Water !!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

himnme

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  14:10:24  Show Profile
Hello

For anyone who lives on Bramley Green take note:

Southern Water are currently charging you for a service they don't provide.

Check your bill - if there is an entry for Surface Water Drainage call them on 01903 264444 and ask for the Surface Water Drainage department. The morons on the other end will tell you your postcode doesn't show up. The development as a whole has a massive soakaway at the south end - that's that big dent in the landscape with the pathetic pond to one end.

The Surface Water Drainage oik will try and make you call an 0845 automated service to request a Surface Water Drainage Rebate application form. Tell em you are allergic to 0845 numbers and get them to send you the form, pronto.

Just done a rough calculation. Southern have made approx. £36,000 out of us collectively over the last 6 years. Not bad for doing sod all apart from putting up prices [88] .....

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  16:46:17  Show Profile
Thanks for this advice, I will phone them first thing in the morning...Good Work
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  20:09:38  Show Profile
Southern Water are really pushing their luck. They are the same as some politicians, they treat us all with contempt.
My experience with them is that they expect individual households to claim for a reduction in costs for surface water drainage, when they know full well that a particular new residential road or in your case the whole of BG has a soakaway and that they do not have to deal with surface drain water.
When we moved into a new house in Angmering a little over 3 years ago we had to claim for a reduction because each property has a soakaway under the rear garden. They should do this automatically.
If they know that one large soakaway covers the whole or most of BG but charge each household until they claim individually, it is a disgrace.
I had occasion to 'phone them myself today. We received our quarterly water statement. We pay monthly direct debit, so at each statement we are either a few pounds in debt or in credit. It is not a bill, it is a statement, but it stated that "total now due is £15-40"
Absolutely nothing is "due," I pay by DD and in fact the DD was a couple of days after the date of the statement, so we are in credit. They should use the phrase.....amount in debit or amount in credit, as the power companies do when one pays by DD.
This may appear a technical point but some little old ladies ( and gents) who do not fully understand, could very well send a cheque for what appears, but is not, an outstanding amount "to pay."

My second point was more important. Last year the regulator fined them some few millions of pounds for serious inefficiencies in their costings. I recall seeing their Chief Exec. being interviewed on BBC Newsnight. He stated they were going to get their bills sorted out and all customers would receive a rebate. He was very very apologetic. I asked them where on my statement did it show or record where my rebate is. He was unable to provide an answer. He thought the unit price contained the rebate, but accepted it did not say this. I asked him why some written explanation was not included with or in the statement and he again was unable to provide an answer.
I suggested he inform a senior manager of my two issues and get their act together. He said he would. !!!!!

If what you say is correct re. BG/surface water, I suggest you make very strong representation to a senior exec. of the company.
Go to Top of Page

himnme

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  12:54:07  Show Profile
Just an update

Waited nigh on a fortnight for the Surface Water Rebate Form to pitch up and .... nada, nothing, zilch, not a bean.

On the phone as I type to the CEO of Southern (or some oik employed to field awkward squad questions. Also had a tug from the Herald so may choose to go that route if all else fails....

Still waiting to get through to CEO protection squad.... may well die of old age before this gets resolved. Apparently a Nick John is dealing although I've just been put through to a very high pitched woman, who's not at her desk so can't use her 'puter.....

God elp us [88]

Edited by - himnme on 07 May 2008 12:54:57
Go to Top of Page

Remarque
Average Member

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  12:57:56  Show Profile
Have you actually tried phoning the correct number for Southern Water Customer Services which is 0845 272 0845? Not the 01903 number quoted above. I've always found them very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

himnme

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  13:08:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Remarque

Have you actually tried phoning the correct number for Southern Water Customer Services which is 0845 272 0845? Not the 01903 number quoted above. I've always found them very helpful.

Don't actually like calling 0845 numbers at 4p a min - rather use my inclusive mobile minutes....... the 01903 number is the switchboard - from which the entire heaving beamoth that is Southern Water is your oyster....

By the by - glad to hear your happy over paying for your water AND paying Southern Water to call them..... for the majority of people fed up with being ripped off the 01903 number will do fine.

Just had a teeny result. CEO office person has rebated surface water drainage to my account but only from April (OFWAT guidelines and all that, don't you know). I asked about the other 600 odd houses and was told that they would have to ring in individually.

Get ringing Bramley Greeners... I'd suggest that the truly local call rate on the 01903 number is best......[88]

Edited by - himnme on 07 May 2008 13:11:06
Go to Top of Page

Remarque
Average Member

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  13:54:17  Show Profile
I don't think I do 'over pay' for my water to be honest (and I've just had my measured account for my 4 person household). I appreciate what goes into the process of supplying me with water that is safe to drink, and also appreciate it being there and available at all times. This is of course a luxury that many people in this world don't have, and I for one will never take it for granted. Another reason I am impressed with Southern Water is their endless fundraising for charities like WaterAid.
Go to Top of Page

Medicine Man

2 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  23:44:21  Show Profile
I live on Bramley Green, so I 'phoned Southern Water, and they gave me the 0845 number, so did as they said and requested a rebate form.
Today I received a letter telling me that my water is dealt with by public drains, so I cannot apply for a rebate. If I don't agree with this I have to tell them why, and prove that my surface water drainage is dealt with by other means. How can I do this? Any ideas out there?
Go to Top of Page

Remarque
Average Member

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  11:17:02  Show Profile
Move?! [88]
Go to Top of Page

Medicine Man

2 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  12:42:17  Show Profile
Wa-Hey![88]
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  13:23:41  Show Profile
Just a quick question,

I am in a 4 person dwelling, my measured water supply seems incredibly high (usage volume) compared to what it was a year ago - no changes in what we would say was normal use but seen a 5 times increase in volume.
Have had meter checked and done a seep test - all show as clear. What is the average consumption of similar homes.
Mine shows 112 meters cube for six months.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  14:09:01  Show Profile
Your children are one year older!!!

Seriously, my mother-in-laws' water usage shot up significantly a few years' ago when she was living by herself in a ground-floor flat. What I found was that Southern Water had messed up the side-by-side meters on the pavement and my mother-in-law was getting the bill for the occupants upstairs which included 3 children, and they were getting the bill for the small amount of water she used!
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  14:28:16  Show Profile
Rule of thumb used to be 1 cubic metre per person per week.

Probably not so relevant with domestic meters but it can happen where the number of digits is not as expected and can give an increased reading. I've also known a meter where an incorrect dial was assembled giving a reading with an increased factor of 10x!

Simple checks are to ensure that the meter shown on your bill is actually serving your property (see Neil's post above). Has the meter been exchanged but the readings continued? You can also turn off your internal stop tap and check that your meter is not moving. Have you an external tap that comes off before your internal stop tap that someone else could be using?

It is not unknown for a builder to put 2 properties on one meter.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  17:28:20  Show Profile
Paul,

Thanks for your response.

I have done the test for the supply to be turned off and the meter stood still so no leak my side of the device.
Will request that the meter is changed.
Southern Water have checked the meter and say no fault!! but it still shows 5x consumption..

Neil,

Have now stopped the kids washing - funnily there were no arguments.
Go to Top of Page

Commuter

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  23:16:57  Show Profile
We should all resent allowing companies to profit from 0845 numbers etc - especially when we phone them to complain. Check out:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Commuter
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  13:57:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by himnme

Hello

For anyone who lives on Bramley Green take note:

Southern Water are currently charging you for a service they don't provide.

Check your bill - if there is an entry for Surface Water Drainage call them on 01903 264444 and ask for the Surface Water Drainage department. The morons on the other end will tell you your postcode doesn't show up. The development as a whole has a massive soakaway at the south end - that's that big dent in the landscape with the pathetic pond to one end.

The Surface Water Drainage oik will try and make you call an 0845 automated service to request a Surface Water Drainage Rebate application form. Tell em you are allergic to 0845 numbers and get them to send you the form, pronto.

Just done a rough calculation. Southern have made approx. £36,000 out of us collectively over the last 6 years. Not bad for doing sod all apart from putting up prices [88] .....

Thansk very much for the advice, I called today, spoke to billing dept, and they agreed to remove the charge and refund previous payments. Thanks for this advice!
Go to Top of Page

bgresident

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  18:28:40  Show Profile
I contacted Southern Water and they agreed they had charged incorrectly and would be arranging a credit. However, the tight *******s would only refund the last year. So effectively they have got away with over-charging us for 4 years. Has anyone received a refund to cover the entire period they have been over-charging?
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  10:44:34  Show Profile
I had the same response as Medicine Man above. I haven't persued it but feel I should. I do not understand how some people have had a rebate and others are turned down flat. Anyone who got the rebate, did you do anything in particular other than the forms?
Go to Top of Page

bgresident

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  16:47:22  Show Profile
I just phoned the 01903 number above and they agreed over the phone that we had been incorrectly charged. The chap I spoke to credited our account by £25.00 but told us that if we wanted to pursue the charges for previous years we would have to submit a complaint (we have been sent info regarding the complaints procedure). Don't know if we can be bothered but at least we got 1 year back - has anyone received a complete refund?
Go to Top of Page

Nick2020

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  11:33:48  Show Profile
Southern Water now have an on line surface water rebate form

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/DomesticCustomers/aboutYourBill/surfaceWaterRebateForm.asp

Click on the link and claim your cash back!

Go to Top of Page

maza

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  16:02:56  Show Profile
I live on Bramley Green, and got in touch with Southern Water about the Surface Water Drainage charge.

They replied saying 'Using all the information available, they believe that some or all the surface water from our property discharges directly on indirectly into a public sewer so we do not qualify, if we are unhappy about their decision they can re-examine our application'.

However we would have to tell them why we believe their decision is wrong and send them evidence to show them we have an alternative method of disposing of surface water.

Any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

Nick2020

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2009 :  21:24:47  Show Profile
I complained to Southern Water about surface drainage charges and they declined to re calculate my bill.

I took my complaint to the Consumer Council for Water - http://www.ccwater.org.uk Southern Water were in touch like a flash – they credited 6 years worth of drainage charges and I have an assurance that surface drainage will not appear on my bill again.

My advice – complain to the Consumer Council for Water.

Nick
Go to Top of Page

Number Six

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  19:46:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick2020

I complained to Southern Water about surface drainage charges and they declined to re calculate my bill.

I took my complaint to the Consumer Council for Water - http://www.ccwater.org.uk Southern Water were in touch like a flash – they credited 6 years worth of drainage charges and I have an assurance that surface drainage will not appear on my bill again.

My advice – complain to the Consumer Council for Water.

Nick

Do you have your own soakaway?
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  21:45:23  Show Profile
APC environmental committee meeting notes for 22/9/09 report that APC are to raise the adoption of the drainage pond/storm interceptor at Mayflower park with Southern Water.
Since residents of Bramley Green receive a rebate on water charges for surface water running into the soakaway they should be aware that this may be withdrawn if Southern Water adopt the pond as APC want.

Why is it that APC haven't cared about adoption of roads or sewers on Bramley Green for the last seven years but now see a way of passing the buck for maintenance of the pond which they should accept is as much an amenity for the area as the skatepark.

Go to Top of Page

clueless
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  22:09:35  Show Profile
Well BRAM, what good observations you make.

Looking at this long term, I can see that in time, we will ALL be having to pay for this drainage system, even though we dont live on BG, because the precept cannot be split. I for one do NOT wish to be paying for YOUR waste water as well as my own.
Seems fair to me that if this is taken on by Southern Water, then you can pay your own rates without the rest of village being penalised.

Strange also, how none of the residents on BG seemed to care about the road and sewer adoption, until the school build, at which time, the PC had already been working on this matter for some time.

Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  11:24:07  Show Profile
clueless

We all pay for sewage & water supply wherever we live in the village.Bramley Green residents water empties into a natural soakaway at the pond which also forms part of the Mayflower park landscape enjoyed by all Angmering residents & visitors. You & all Angmering residents who live elsewhere in the village pay for waste water that empties into public drains that Southern Water maintain but BG houses do not & it is only fair that the rebate is paid.Since all BG houses are metered each household pays for its own water use. Any subsidy is likely to be by metered customers to those on the old property rateable value water charges. How then will you be paying my waste water rates?
I would be interested to know just how much APC have spent in maintaining the pond over the last 7 years & then compare it to the amount of additional cost to BG residents if/when they lose the £20p.a. or so as this will probably be further revenue/profit to Southern Water & any saving to APC is highly unlikely to result in a reduction of precept levied by APC.

I must disgree with you over your assertion that APC "had already been working on the matter for some time" "before the school build" as the issue has been driven forward from the start by BG residents(particularly the efforts of a few)& I have seen no evidence of any active involvement by APC other than their letter to Duncan Barratt on 11/8/09 but would welcome any response by them to prove me wrong.
Go to Top of Page

fitzbern

1 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2010 :  11:53:44  Show Profile
Hi

I have just recieved a call from Southern Water who claim that before the water gets to the infiltration system it passes through their sewer and therefore the surface water charges will be added back to bills.

I have asked them to confirm this in writing and provide drawing evidence that demonstrate that the charge is valid.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000