GRUMPY in the VILLAGE
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  20:13:36  Show Profile
Just thought i might save some time and set up a topic for those who will moan about the activities coming up in the next few weeks. Halloween, Fireworks and carol singers. It seems there is no end to the amount of moans expressed at this time of year. So here it is ready for you. OR, you could actually enjoy the events, take the necessary precations for your or your pets fears, remember it happens each year so dont be alarmed when it happens. I will enjoy others fireworks, join in with trick or treat and welcome carol singers.

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  05:40:49  Show Profile
Oh no!!!! Not again..it comes around so quickly.......LMAO

Please make sure fireworks are quiet and only let off before 6pm

Take the battery out of the door bell or wrap knocker in cotton wool

and carol singers please sing only ""Silently Night.""
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  07:37:27  Show Profile
Roosterbri, looks like it's 2-0 to the common sense brigade. Must admit lost some money on my 3-1 fav to moan.

More fun is needed in the area, just because we live in a beautiful sleepy village does not mean we have to be beautiful (impossible for me) sleepy people all the time.
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  09:47:40  Show Profile
Bring it all on, those who do not wish to be bothered by anyone can put notes in windows.I have always found in the 4 years in Angmering anyone knocking on my doors for any celebration to be happy, pleasant and polite and yes I have had teenagers knock and they also have been great. Understand that some people who are older and those that are just miserable( of any age) do not want it and this should be respected.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  12:12:39  Show Profile
One in five people would support a ban on trick or treating this year in light of the recent riots in cities across England, according to a survey.

Some 22% took the view that the tradition should not take place this year, while 50% would introduce mandatory parental accompaniment.

The findings, from research commissioned by Santander Insurance, show 43% of people would support a ban on people wearing masks that obscure the face over Halloween, and one in three (31%) a ban on people wearing hooded tops.

Some 38% would support the introduction of curfews for groups of youths at this time of year.

A spokeswoman for Santander said support for these measures was driven not only by people's experiences of the riots, but also past experience of being victims in the Halloween to Bonfire Night period, dubbed "mischief week".

The research shows that one in four adults (24%) has suffered damage to their home during this period, facing an average of over £232 in repair fees, or a collective £2.65 billion. One in eight adults (12%) has suffered damage from eggs being thrown at or in their home and 6% have had garden plants, ornaments or fences damaged.

More than 1.6 million people, around 3%, have been victims of theft either inside or outside the home during this period, and 2% have had windows broken.

Over 1.4 million people have had their property damaged by sparklers or stray fireworks, and 1.1 million suffered damage from items such as firecrackers or silly string being put through their letterbox.

Some 2% of adults (941,000) have suffered from graffiti on their home during this period, around 460,000 have been attacked by people using fireworks as weapons, and more than 380,000 have suffered arson attacks on their property.

Andy Smith, head of media relations at Santander, said: "The summer's riots resulted in a huge amount of innocent people becoming victims of crime. Our research would suggest that there is genuine concern about any more criminal damage or anti-social behaviour taking place in the period that surrounds Halloween and bonfire night - a period which many people already find intimidating."
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  14:35:32  Show Profile
Whow roosterbri, bet you are fun at at party!! cannot believe you have put all that info on here. We live in Angmering not a war torn city. Amazed people actually find and upload this sort of info . so can safely say you win the Grumpy award ha ha ha !!!
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  21:22:27  Show Profile
well my children went out to trick or treat only to be met with loads of signs saying do not knock, no sweets here etc.

better for the children's teeth i suppose
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  09:19:18  Show Profile
Not grumpy Hairspray it just appeals to my sense of humour to enter into the spirit of Composts original light hearted topic.

The guff above came from a national newspaper web site.

My sense of humour is only exceeded by my personal charm.....wweeeeeeeeee!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  14:02:05  Show Profile
Big Apologies Roosterbri, as usual big foot in large mouth!! The trouble is as with texting, the messages and texts have no spoken voice so a wrong assumption is sometimes made. So again my apologies , Had masses of kids knock on door gave away 2 tubs of chocs and other sweets. Some fantastic costumes and all ages were polite, happy and it was like Oxford circus at Xmas down our street. I decorate the door so people know they are welcome .
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  14:06:48  Show Profile
Excellent...I suspect one of my grand-daughters may have been on your knocker(s)!!!??? LMAO

and she loves sweets
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  15:19:10  Show Profile
Had around 15 lots of callers, all very polite and grateful for the treats given. Nice to see so many parents getting involved.
Roosterbri ...might pop out and inspect a few knockers myself.
Right, fireworks next week..looking forward to a few free displays, our dog will not be scared of them as proper preperation prevents this... i will put her in a sack and bung her in a cupboard with a load of whitenoise, works on wimpy kids and moaning adults as well. Carol singers coming soon to a doorstep near you, dates and times may vary.
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  15:54:08  Show Profile
got through a tub of haribo, bloody kids in bloody outfits bloody knocking on my bloody door!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  20:11:30  Show Profile
Scary amount of blood there Karl@KCM, great to see this topic that was a lighthearted bash at the moaners has actually highlighted the lighter side of life. Race is on to see who gets the fist carol singer, a few years ago we had one group in september (seriously). Did see in Seldon Road Worthing a number of houses had the christmas decorations/lights up and on.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  21:36:18  Show Profile
Well for the first time ever I joined in with the Trick or Treating with my child and some others.
I know how I hate to be disturbed by anyone uninvited knocking on my door so we agreed to only knock on doors of houses that were decorated. We would only knock once and if they didn't answer we would move on. I think that is reasonable (at a sensible time in the evening). I didn't see any other people about doing anything else.
Notices on doors that occupants they had run out of sweets/not to disturb pets etc etc seemed to be respected. Children seemed to be accompanied...some by parents who seemed to be enjoying it all a little bit too much!!
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  06:51:11  Show Profile
quote:
The trouble is as with texting, the messages and texts have no spoken voice so a wrong assumption is sometimes made

Hairspray this is a common problem, however the internet convention of smilies are used to convey humour tongue in cheek etc.

These may help you from being misunderstood.

Glad everyone had a good and peaceful Halloween this year by the sounds of it

Hope this helps

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  15:37:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by compost

Race is on to see who gets the fist carol singer,

Does it count if i send my missus out to knock on doors, she does a great 'Deck the Halls'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000