Frenzied Felines
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  12:12:45  Show Profile
I have never been a disliker of cats & have sympathised with owners who lose their animals but the streets of Bramley Green seem to be rife with vicious antisocial felines who attack people & dogs without any provocation.
I have been victim to such attacks on 3 occasions recently.
Today whilst walking my dog on a lead through Oakwood Drive a black cat, with white bibb from neck to chest, jumped out of the shrubbery where it was hiding, at the junction with Ashmore Avenue & immediately started spitting & lashing out in a frenzied manner, clawing my thigh & then turning on my dog ripping her ear and clawing her front paw.

If a dog behaved in this uncontrolled manner then the police would almost certainly be involved but cats although equally able to inflict injury,particularly if a young child or elderly person were to be attacked,seem to get away with it

So far I have been unable to identify the cats owner or its address but if the owner is reading this then be advised that in future I will not hesitate in protecting myself & my dog if your animal attacks again.In the meantime I have reported the incident to ADC Environmental Health dept.

edited for mistype

Edited by - BRAM on 02 Oct 2011 12:18:38

Stirrer

17 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  21:38:56  Show Profile
"the streets of Bramley Green seem to be rife with vicious antisocial felines who attack people & dogs without any provocation"
The residents aren't much better behaved either!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  23:01:39  Show Profile
That's strange behaviour for a cat - is it just dogs/dog walkers that they are going for, and if so what sort of dogs being walked? surely not rottweilers, alsatians etc.

Anyway, I have a new name for you now .......................... wait for it .................... 'Claud'

Edited by - BFA on 02 Oct 2011 23:05:12
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  07:41:58  Show Profile
I have seen some stupid subjects and comments on here but this subject has made me speechless.there's a big bad world out there and if fighting pets around here are the worse thing than be grateful. I do not wish to for any animals to attack each other and I do not own either a or a dog .!
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  09:17:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hairspray

I have seen some stupid subjects and comments on here but this subject has made me speechless.there's a big bad world out there and if fighting pets around here are the worse thing than be grateful. I do not wish to for any animals to attack each other and I do not own either a or a dog .!

Women are from Zog....sheeesh!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jonah890
Average Member

39 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  12:18:09  Show Profile
I dont know if any one has noticed in the window of the shops in the village, that there is a poster/letter with reference for help.

The incident was a shooting of a cat in the Shardeloes Road area of the village with a air gun ?

Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  12:44:10  Show Profile
Oops did not have my glasses on when I last commented and have noticed spelling errors!! Also it should have read I do not own a cat or a dog.I commented earlier from my phone and the screen is small.
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  12:50:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BFA

That's strange behaviour for a cat

I do hope that's sarcasm
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  18:19:00  Show Profile
Stirrer
From the comments posted your observation would seem correct but applicable to Angmering residents not just BG.

Hairspray
Not so speechless,just shortsighted then !Perhaps when you or yours suffer such an attack whether from cat or dog you may have a different view.
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  18:21:37  Show Profile
Sorry Bram did not to offend and many years ago was mugged so know what an attack feels like.
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  13:05:57  Show Profile
a cat would not do that unless they felt threatened, they are not stupid, either you or somebody else must have been taunting the cat with a dog

it is your responsiblity as a pet owner, to have sympathy for an animal that is acting on instinct and clearly defending itself, and you should use your common sense in protecting yourself and your own pet, by walking a different route to avoid the cat in question

oh and by the way, i have a similar black cat with white bib, who recently met a very menacing dog at the vet... my cat was growling and hissing so much he scared the owner, let alone the dog, and i have never seen him behave like that before... most of our neighbours have dogs, so he's used to being around them, but this one was allowed to bark growl and generally menace him by it's rude owner, so he clearly felt threatened and stuck up for himself. my cat is sweet and cuddly and i happily let my children play with him, but if you back a cat into a corner or repeatedly intentionally frighten it, they are very capable of sticking up for themselves...

a cat doesn't just jump out at people for no reason, so if you didn't provoke that cat, someone else did, and it is that person's fault, not that of the frightened cat

edited for typo

Edited by - 240felicia on 04 Oct 2011 13:07:20
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  13:39:59  Show Profile
240felicia, I agree with you entirely.

I have never experienced this type of so called "vicious antisocial feline" behaviour (according to BRAM) from a pussycat, in over 60 years on this planet.

I have, very occasionally, seen a cat defend itself when attacked, provoked or frightened, by a human or dog, with whom they do not always have a harmomious relationship.

BRAM is clearly very unlucky to have experienced it on "3 occasions recently."

Perhaps he has come up against "Mad Max."
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  13:51:34  Show Profile
240felicia
The incident was witnessed by a cyclist passing who saw the cat stalking us down the street after the attack so he was certainly not afraid or traumatised. The cat did jump out of the shrubbery without cause or threat from my dog lunging at me as well.My vet suggests that un-neutered males frequently behave in this manner,so your assertion is incorrect.
Although there is an assumption that cats have a right of freedom to roam the cat owners owe a duty of care & consideration to neighbours to prevent nuisance,damage or injury.
They should also realise that it is behaviour such as this that alienates people against cats & results in cruel action towards them as jonah890 mentioned earlier.
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  16:47:25  Show Profile
yes but the thing is i'm pretty sure i've walked past the cat in question and it pays me no attention at all.... it feels threatened by your dog... it's only natural for it to do so, so walk a different route for goodness sakes
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  20:51:25  Show Profile
At the start of this video it seems a guy sets a cat on a dog - or just makes sure the cat has seen it, knowing it will have a go - at the end of the video you can see the owner got clawed in the process, but the cat was only interested in the dog.

People even kick the cat out of the way but it does not retaliate against them - it's eyes are on the dog the whole time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJE-eQjTwo4
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  20:50:51  Show Profile
Bram

Post away mate, sod everyone else. If you want to put something on here - do it ......its what the forum is about. I laughed my head off at the posting, not in a derogatory sense just found it tickled me. Postings will always cause difference of opinions and that is great, tongue in cheeck comments seem to offend some, but hey we are all different.
Now going out to find some wild pussy on the streets. Lets not try and turn each posting into a way of attacking each other.
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  22:00:41  Show Profile
Compost...the wording of your comment made me laugh, it could be taken 2 ways....am sure if you read it back you will see what I mean !
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  11:04:52  Show Profile
Hairspray, no ......i was correct in my statement, never ever gone out looking for a cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000