Uninsured Cars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2011 :  08:51:17  Show Profile
The News item on uninsured cars begs a question. As you cannot tax a car without proof of insurance we must presume that these cars are also not taxed. The DVLA must know which cars have not been taxed so why cannot a system be devised whereby those identified are prosecuted? It happens with speed cameras and the congestion charge so why not uninsured drivers?

Commuter

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2011 :  11:12:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by derekdainton

The News item on uninsured cars begs a question. As you cannot tax a car without proof of insurance we must presume that these cars are also not taxed. The DVLA must know which cars have not been taxed so why cannot a system be devised whereby those identified are prosecuted? It happens with speed cameras and the congestion charge so why not uninsured drivers?

I presume that they know which cars are untaxed but not where they are (assuming not parked outside of the previously registered property). There may also be time lags between insurance, tax and MOT running out. The DVLA does encourage reporting, though:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022073

Commuter
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2011 :  11:12:56  Show Profile
New rules from end of June 2011 should reduce the number of uninsured vehicles on the road.(http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696 )

Ufortunately people tend to lie, or more importantly fail to notify change of owner/vehicle & so the offending vehicle owners can often not be traced although the previous owner could be prosecuted if they failed to notify.

I find the MIB statistics for Angmering rather odd as I regularly see untaxed (& probably uninsured) vehicles on the roads of Angmering & while some may be visiting from other areas many appear to live locally.
Do the statistics perhaps relate to vehicles stopped or identified in places like Littlehampton rather than actually traced to owners addresses in Angmering? Either way if people cannot afford to tax or insure their vehicles then they should stick to public transport rather than risk injury or damage to legitimate motorists/pedestrians
Go to Top of Page

MrT
Average Member

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2011 :  14:01:25  Show Profile
I'm sure they can detect them using cameras. I saw it on one of those cop programmes on TV so it must be true. Some police cars and some roadside cameras use ANPR, linked to the central database, and the copper will chase you if the car flags up as uninsured.

Similarly, untaxed cars, the computer automatically posts you a fine if you are the registered keeper and the car isn't taxed and isn't reported as off the road via SORN.

Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  15:16:47  Show Profile
Uninsured/untaxed drivers in Sussex beware:-

http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/sussex_police_given_powers_to_seize_cars_1_3072100
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000