Roads in Bramley Green
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoJo

1 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  12:20:14  Show Profile
Hi All

I am thinking of purchasing a property in Bramley Green and I note from this website that there have been some issues with adoption of the roads by WSCC. Can anyone update me on the current situation and if they have not yet been adopted can anyone outline what this means in terms of owners responsibilities. Do owners have to pay towards the upkeep? What happens if there is a problem? Also what about the drains and utilites in the road and the street lights - have they been adopted by Southern water etc and what happens if not?

Any infomation would be greatly received.

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  12:31:21  Show Profile
Welcome JoJo. I had hoped somebody from Bramley Green with a far greater knowledge than me would have responded to your message. Perhaps they will over the next few days.

In the meantime, I will have a go at answering some of your questions but perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

At the Angmering Parish Council meeting on Monday, County Councillor Deborah Urquhart gave a report from which I understood her to say that West Sussex County Council plan to adopt the Bramley Green roads in the autumn. You could phone the Clerk at the Parish Council office in Angmering to verify this as it should be appearing in his minutes.

Don't think there is a problem with street lighting.

Regarding the drains etc, these have not been adopted yet for the whole of Bramley Green. However, from 1 October 2011, the Government is proposing that private sewers and lateral drains are transferred to the water and wastewater companies. Up until the sewers and drains are adopted, individual householders are responsible for them if ever there is a problem, but this seems unlikely on BG as adoption by Southern Water looks on the cards later this year. Your can read more about this at:
www.southernwater.co.uk/DomesticCustomers/whoOwnsTheSewers/default.asp
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  12:40:41  Show Profile
during my brief stint on the parish council a couple of years ago i am pretty sure one of the people there worked for the water company and said that the drains were all agreed to be the water companies liability... they had something about it in writing but i cannot recall much about it...

if you do move to bramley green, be sure to check they are not charging you for surface drainage as there's a surface drainage soak away for the estate which means most of us don't have to pay but you need to check as they have still been charging a lot of residents anyway!

also be wary of parking issues at the lower end of the estate there have been reports of people getting parking tickets for parking on the pavement.

if you're looking for a house that's a bargain, there's a 5 bed one on the cubitt & west site which is about £40k under the going rate for that kind of property round here... it is (sadly for the previous occupants) a recent reposession, but will be a sound investment and good home for somebody...

Edited by - 240felicia on 18 May 2011 12:44:48
Go to Top of Page

newbird
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  13:53:34  Show Profile
Hi JoJo. I have lived on Bramley Green (Nursery Road) since new and have never paid towards the upkeep of anything apart from my own property. I too understand that roads etc will be adopted by the end of the year. I also dont get charged for surface drainage. Regarding the parking, everyone knows how many allocated spaces their house has before they buy it but there are still a number of inconsiderate - or just stupid people who continue to leave their cars very close to the bend coming round into Nursery Road and between the pinch points. If they are parking inconsiderately then they deserve fines but generally it doesnt cause too many problems. The community centre has been a real bonus and living right opposite i can honestly say it has only enhanced the area. Users have to be cleared up and out by 10:30 and we have never had cause to complain. The only issue at the moment is that there are some classes on a Monday night which are either over subscribed or attracting A LOT of people from out of the area as they all park round the bend to the front of the centre. Very inconsiderate and actually quite dangerous but that is another topic!!
All in all,we love living here. Neighbours are friendly, its pretty quiet and we very rarely have any problems.
A good conveyancer should be able to answer your questions but thought you might like to hear from someone who has first hand experience!!
Go to Top of Page

Phill

4 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  14:16:37  Show Profile
Hi JoJo.
As a precursor to eventual adoption of the Bramley Green roads, in Feb 2011 WSCC Highways Dept issued proposals for final consultation on traffic calming & parking control measures. These can be viewed at
http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisure/getting_around_west_sussex/roads_and_pathways/traffic/traffic_regulation_orders/traffic_regulation_order_consu/joint_eastern_arun_area.aspx

The consultation closed on 17 March and WSCC have advised there were 2 objections received. Those will be discussed at their internal committee meeting on 14 June. You can e-mail tro.team@westsussex.gov.uk for further info.

Until the BG roads are adopted by WSCC, the original Development Consortium (led by Berkeley Homes) remains responsible for maintenance of Bramley Way, Rowan Way & Nursery Road. The original individual developers within the consortium each remain responsible for the various side roads in which they each built houses. Homeowners do not pay separately for the upkeep of the roads.

For surface water drainage, Southern Water issued a letter to homeowners in Jan 2010 stating that "There is a surface water sewer in your street which connects to our sewerage pipes and filters surface water back into the system for treatment. Therefore the property is indirectly connected to our services and the surface water drainage charges are payable."
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  15:13:28  Show Profile
phill, the water company did not issue the above letter to everyone... just so you know
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000