New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

charlie
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  20:25:26  Show Profile
Any news on the parking at Angmering school,I thought there was going to be a car park on the school grounds.As the cars start to arrive 30mins before school is out .

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  22:00:23  Show Profile
(I've moved this topic to the Angmering Roads & Paths Forum from the Chit Chat Forum)

The following statement was issued by The Angmering School at the beginning of November 2010:
quote:
"Parking is very difficult at the school at the moment because the final stages of the building project have taken existing parking out of use. This means that there even more cars parking outside the school gates. We are sorry for the inconvenience this is causing our neighbours. If all goes well, we will have the bigger car park ready for use by early in December".
Does anybody know what has caused the delay? Parking in Greenwood Drive is making life difficult for residents getting in and out.
Go to Top of Page

deb8
Average Member

59 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  17:10:13  Show Profile
Neil

At the risk of repeating myself, I fear parking on Greenwood Drive will be a problem until the entrance to the school is redirected via Roundstone by Pass or further down Station Road. Visitors for sports matches etc will always gravitate to the entrance of the school which, at present, is situated on Greenwood Drive.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  17:30:37  Show Profile
I've just received this reply from the school's headteacher, David Brixey:
quote:
I notice that comments are being made on the Forums about parking in Greenwood Drive.

Our new car park was completed in November. It has provided us with about 40 extra parking spaces. We have had comments from residents that they have noticed a improvement near their homes.

We are encouraging staff and students to park within the school grounds. We are not in a position to stop people associated with the school parking in Greenwood Drive.

There is not sufficient room for parents collecting and dropping off students to park on the school grounds but we have noticed a much better flow of traffic at the start and end of the school day.

Go to Top of Page

deb8
Average Member

59 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  19:31:58  Show Profile
Neil

Apart from the 40 spaces that have been allocated for staff and students within the school, is it possible to ascertain from Mr Brixley what further arrangements they have in place , once these floodlit matches take place. Are there spaces within the school for visiting coaches, supporters etc etc? Will a member of school staff direct parking within the school or will those attending just be left to their own devices ie. parking in Greenwood Drive up until 10pm. It seems to me that whilst the school/WSCC might reap financial benefits from the facilities the residents of Greenwood Drive are the people who will be inconvenienced.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  21:56:32  Show Profile
As Mr Brixey reads these Forums, he may wish to reply - via me if preferred.
Go to Top of Page

deb8
Average Member

59 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  12:09:50  Show Profile
I note that there was no response from Mr Brixley with regard to my previous post. At approximately 11am today, there were 11 cars parked outside the school entrance. Does this mean that the school car park is full or is there a reason why those attending the school dont use the carpark?

Can Mr Brixley tell us what steps have been made to encourage students/visitors to use the school car park. Are leaflets left on cars parked outside the school informing their owners that it would be helpful if they would park within the school grounds? Does he have registration numbers of cars used by school members, so that he can ascertain the reasons why their drivers dont want to use the school car park?

I was under the impression that the new school car park was going to alleviate these problems but, if at 'quiet time' this many cars are parked then it doesnt bode well for drop off and pick up times.

It may be that the row of cars have nothing to do with the school but at least if the enquiries above are followed through then we can maybe make the exit from the Dell a little less congested.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  13:24:04  Show Profile
Yes, it's really disappointing that the additional parking on the school campus has made no difference to the parking in Greenwood Drive.

If there is no more room to create additional parking within the school boundaries itself, then the solution must be to create more parking outside the school to alleviate driving difficulties within the westerly portion of the road with its associated dangers.

This is fairly easy to resolve. Just cut away 6ft of grass on the southern side to create a lay-by where cars can park with double yellow lines on the northern side. This will allow a two way flow of traffic which is not possible for much of the week and not just weekdays. Parking creates problems also at weekends when matches are played at the field to the south of the school.

Angmering Parish Council needs to promote the idea with WSCC. It did at one stage but all went quiet. OK, it will not be on WSCC's priority list, but that does not mean that APC should give up.

The road surface has also deteriorated on that first stretch of Greenwood Drive and there is a nasty elongated hole at the junction with Station Road which is not doing much for my car's suspension!
Go to Top of Page

deb8
Average Member

59 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  09:45:02  Show Profile
Sadly Neil, it would appear, by the lack of posts, that only you and I are concerned with matters pertaining to school parking on The Dell.

I am not sure whether the apathy reflects peoples' true feelings or whether they are weary that their voice goes unheard. However the indifference doesnt suggest a recipe for change :(
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  11:57:07  Show Profile
deb8; I don't think it is apathy, I have posted on other subjects myself, usually with little response over the past year or so. There appears to be far fewer residents posting these days, which is a shame.

So far as this subject is concerned, I agree entirely with both you and Neil, and I could not add to your comments.

I also get fed up with the parking in Dell Drive, just in from Station Road. There are often 3-5 cars parked there, during weekdays, causing drivers exiting Dell Drive into Station Road, to go onto the oncoming lane, which is just not on.

As for the road surface in Station Road, on the southbound lane between Dell Drive and Greenwood Drive; it is a disgrace. I am sure I am not the only one to have made representation to WSCC, without success.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  13:53:57  Show Profile
While off-topic, but just for information, readership of the Forums certainly dropped off in the second half of 2010 - probably because there was nothing too controversial going on in the village! However, readership is increasing again and in January 2011, there were 3046 accesses to the Forums' portal page.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  17:53:58  Show Profile
I agree it is not apathy on the part of residents but frustration at the fact that our so called representatives on the various local authorities, like MPs at central government level, ignore real life problems to pursue their own agendas.
Go to Top of Page

deb8
Average Member

59 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  18:09:42  Show Profile
Inclined to agree with you BRAM.

In view of the lack of contribution from Mr Brixley it is difficult to know what steps have been taken to encourage people to park with the school grounds. A mention on the weekly new letter from school may alert 'offenders' to the wishes of their neighbours but is nothing more than a 'ticking boxes' exercise.

Has anyone ascertained why those parking outside the school grounds do not wish to park in the new allocated spots?? Is it a matter of nervous new drivers anxious of parking, quick getaway drivers, security?? If the school are not willing to assist in ascertaining the reasons, could this be an issue that could be dealt with by our PCSO?

Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  18:15:44  Show Profile
Unless the school moves to the fish & chip shop in the village, don't think you will see much of our local PCSO!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  09:44:05  Show Profile
I have this morning received the following message from David Brixey, Headteacher of The Angmering School:

quote:
I read the Angmering Village Life Forums regularly – but not daily! I like to see what issues are important to those who use the Forums.

The Governors of the school have invested a considerable capital sum on improving the parking on the school site. This has, amongst other things, greatly reduced congestion on the site and removed the need for double parking.

We have told all staff that parking is available for them on the school site. We have made available a small number of parking spaces specifically for Sixth Form students. In addition we now have properly regulated spaces for visitors to the school.

We are seeking to reduce car use by our staff and Sixth Form students and to encourage our younger students to walk or cycle.

We think that the Synthetic Turf Pitch will not cause problems. We have additional hard standing near the pitch and users have been informed that they should use the main car park if needed.

Greenwood Drive is a normal public road without parking restrictions and we don’t have much control over parking in it. If I have specific complaints – particularly about cars obstructing householders’ drives - I will follow up on their behalf if I can identify a culprit who is involved with the school.

Neighbours may not be aware that we have been working with a number of local people to resolve issues relating to parking by football clubs that use the Woodlands site. Their home supporters and coaches can now park on our site. We hope that this will be seen as an attempt by us to reduce parking local problems.

If anyone would like to come and talk to me about this issue or any other please telephone to ask for an appointment.

Go to Top of Page

deb8
Average Member

59 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  14:56:57  Show Profile
AAAAAAAAAArrrrrrgh...

Well slap my forehead and call me stupid!! Am I the only one that doesnt see the logic in spending considerable sums of money on expanding a school car park only to have students/staff park outside the school?
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  20:05:54  Show Profile
So football coaches can park in the school car park? Most of them are carrying their coaching kit and are not going to park in the school and then carry it all the way to Woodlands, or stop in Woodlands, unload it, move the car to the car park and walk back, and do the reverse when finished. Sorry, but it just isn't going to happen. It will be the same as this weekend - Woodlands' Car Park FULL.

A previous attempt to "reduce parking local problems" (whatever that is) was to suggest to drivers that they park in North Drive. I'm guessing that the residents of North Drive were not party to that decision.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  23:22:41  Show Profile
I think North Drive is a private road...if so, no go!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  23:46:41  Show Profile
North Drive may look like a private road, residents might like people to think it's a private road, but the fact is that it isn't!

I'm not suggesting for one moment that people should park in North Drive as it would create a similar problem for residents there.

One way or another parked cars are causing a problem for residents. I've advocated cutting back the verge to create a long lay-by at the west end of Greenwood Drive to allow two-way traffic to move freely. The Parish Council could push our case for solutions with WSCC if they had the will which I'm not sure they have.
Go to Top of Page

charlie
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  09:33:54  Show Profile
North Drive has its problems with parking to drop off or picking up the children at school times.If you have a look folk have had to try and protect the grass verge.We do live near a school,I am sure anyone else who does so has the same problems.
Go to Top of Page

deb8
Average Member

59 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  12:48:08  Show Profile
I think the very fact that the entrance road to the school, Greenwood Drive and North Drive are all experiencing serious congestion would call for a solution.

Twenty plus years ago the parking was not a problem. The school has expanded and has possibly three to five times as many pupils as when first opened. I note that Neil pointed out the pupil projection figures when the school was built, but I doubt many of us were aware of these figures until he mentioned them.

Angmering has seen many changes over the years, by-passes, supermarkets, sports centres, medical centres, new builds etc etc . All these additions have been made to cater for increasing inhabitants, traffic, health needs, buying power etc etc.

The expanded parking within the school have not enticed drivers to desist from parking outside the school and I believe that drivers will always gravitate towards the entrance and park.

If WSCC can work with the community and resituate the entrance to the school, thereby alleviating the frustrations experienced by parents, pupils, staff and residents, why would they choose to ignore a solution? This situation will not get better.

WSCC obviously had intentions to build a new school when Bramley Green was planned. I understand money was handed over by the builders and not used for the new school. Perhaps it could be used for a new entrance and increased parking?

As Neil says, one would hope that our representatives, APC, would start to be pro active on this issue. Perhaps a new topic could be started where the community could suggest whether they favour a new entrance on Station Road, Roundstone by Pass etc etc and we can thrash out some ideas to put to APC. They will then be very clear about the needs and wishes of the community they represent.

From an 'Emergency' perspective, ie. fire, ambulance, police, the present situation is quite dangerous.

As a side issue, I believe nearly 100 people read the last few posts whilst only a few people have contributed. I note Bert's message that, although he had read the posts, he had nothing else to add. I think, if we are to persuade WSCC to listen to our needs then even an 'I agree" posted by a reader would give them a measure of feeling.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  15:14:57  Show Profile
This reply may need to be moved to a new Forum. Is it true that the lease on the Football Foelds run out soon, and that it may wellbes old off? I heard this ages ago, it may be just an old rumour. If th training ground goes, it may be the start of a new problem or the end of an old one!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  19:22:27  Show Profile
Headteacher David Brixey and his staff have this week really been trying to get staff and 6th Formers to park within the school campus and I'm aware of some of the actions that have been taken. However, the road falls outside their jurisdiction and I believe there is little more that the school can do. If people think they can, then go and talk to Mr Brixey as he suggests.

It is now down to residents and the Parish Council to put pressure on West Sussex County Council Highways Department to resolve the situation. The Parish Council Highways Committee should include this in their next agenda. They should not forget that Parish Council elections are due this May!
Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  07:14:24  Show Profile
Think I've lost the will to live with this thread. Am sure most of us have problems with inconsiderate and lazy drivers! There must be something more interesting going on in the village surely?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  08:22:46  Show Profile
Nope!

On second thoughts, if there is anything more interesting going on in the village, GrumpyGirl, I would have thought you might just possibly be the one who knows!
Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  11:32:28  Show Profile
I know nothing! I'm too busy with my eyes to the ground picking up endless mounds of litter!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000