New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maxiboost
Average Member

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  13:08:13  Show Profile
So, yet another accident at the junction of the Angmering bypass and Water Lane this morning. Littlehampton Gazette article here: http://bit.ly/gVDLoG

This is getting pretty scary now - surely it's time the authorities did something about this lethal stretch of road? Does anyone know who one would write to express concern?

Hopefully everyone involved in today's latest episode is okay/gets well soon.

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  13:14:47  Show Profile
See also AVL news item.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  16:54:42  Show Profile
Maxiboost, why do you feel this is a "lethal stretch of road?"

Drivers emerging out of Water Lane, into the northbound lane of the by-pass, have very good visibility to the south, and should only emerge when the lane is clear to do so.

Drivers crossing from the slip of the southbound lane of the by-pass, to cross the northbound lane into Water Lane, have very good visibility and should only do so when the lane is clear.
Go to Top of Page

Maxiboost
Average Member

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  19:43:07  Show Profile
Hmmm... so why so many accidents and near misses??

I think it's because the stretch is on an (albeit gentle) bend/curve and it kind of gives an optical illusion that cars are further away than they actually are... because of the bend it's very hard to judge how fast a vehicle is travelling. Seriously, believe me, this is a nasty bit of road - a potential 'black-spot' if you will - which needs sorting ASAP.

I for one would like to see the junction crossing the southbound > northbound junction closed, like at Hammerpot. Of course I accept this will not be a popular idea, but if it saves lives and accidents...

My advice would be to drop your speed and be extra careful/aware of this bit of road, folks.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  21:04:44  Show Profile
There's plenty of junctions like that around, it's a simple right turn and at least it has it's own lane so you do not delay traffic continuing south.

If anything, coming out of the village is more dangerous, a slip road would be good to give you a run at it and not have to join a fast road from a standing start. I've been behind vehicles many times thinking 'surely she (or he) is not going to go' but she or he does indeed and soon has a car tailgating them sounding the horn. But that's bad driving and not bad road layout.

Personally I think the junction should be a roundabout, a bit of traffic calming, plus the access from the village to the South would reduce traffic through the village.

Heading out of the village my satnav does not recognise this junction, it shows it just as a sharp bend, I wonder if that's caused any accidents.

Go to Top of Page

Maxiboost
Average Member

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  21:10:04  Show Profile
Some fair points BFA.

quote:
Originally posted by BFA

Personally I think the junction should be a roundabout, a bit of traffic calming, plus the access from the village to the South would reduce traffic through the village.

Nice idea, that could work.

quote:
Originally posted by BFA

Heading out of the village my satnav does not recognise this junction, it shows it just as a sharp bend, I wonder if that's caused any accidents.

Quite possibly!

Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  09:51:35  Show Profile
I too have seen drivers drift into this junction from Water Lane without giving way but nothing surprises me around the area.

When drivers routinely turn right from the left hand lane at roundabouts anything is possible.
Go to Top of Page

BOTFOJ

Kyrgyzstan
161 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  13:39:52  Show Profile
Talking of turning right from left hand lanes. I’d like to see views from on here.

The situation: Evening rush hour, driving from Clapham & Patching, heading for Angmering

When you get to the first roundabout, you have the option of left to join the eastbound A27, straight on and over the bridge, or right, up towards the Worlds End.

Your starter for ten: are you one of those drivers who sometimes gets in the right hand lane to avoid the usual small queue at that roundabout and then cuts up the motorists at the start of the bridge who have queued to go straight on.

Your bonus question: heading for Angmering, does everyone then ‘turn right in the left hand lane’ to hit the bypass, signage isn’t clear but it seems that’s the tradition, right hand lane is for A27 only?

Worst place round here for TRITLHL© is definitely Esporta roundabout, coming from Rustington, heading for Angmering, especially if you’re over 60.

As for turning Left in the right hand lane, Findon Roundabout, most mornings, heading for Horsham, a lot of people try this stunt, but as you’re heading onto a dual carriageway from a single lane road its fine as long as you keep out of my way.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  22:06:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BOTFOJ

... driving from Clapham & Patching, heading for Angmering

When you get to the first roundabout, you have the option of left to join the eastbound A27, straight on and over the bridge, or right, up towards the Worlds End.

.....are you one of those drivers who sometimes gets in the right hand lane to avoid the usual small queue at that roundabout and then cuts up the motorists at the start of the bridge who have queued to go straight on.

No, I use the left lane - BUT - when this system was new, the lanes were arrow-marked thus - left hand lane left turn only; right hand lane straight ahead or right. Now they are not marked it should be left lane - left or straight ahead, right lane - right.

quote:
Originally posted by BOTFOJ

.... heading for Angmering, does everyone then ‘turn right in the left hand lane’ to hit the bypass, signage isn’t clear but it seems that’s the tradition, right hand lane is for A27 only?

If you Google-map that roundabout the bypass is pretty much smack on 12 o' clock and 'the rules' are 6-12 o'clock, left hand lane; 12-6 o'clock, right hand lane, so maybe you would be correct in either lane. However, the roadsign clearly shows the bypass at about 1 o'clock, so going by that you should be in the right hand lane. The lanes should be arrow-marked here, either left lane - left only (Titnore lane) and right lane - bypass and A27 .... or left lane - Titnore lane and bypass and right lane -A27. But they are not marked and the 50/50 situation causes confusion & frustration.

If I have traffic behind me and none in front of me at this roundabout, I straddle the lanes, that way if the vehicle behind me wants the bypass like I do, there's no chance of it being anything but behind me when I exit. You won't find that in the highway code but it's not my fault that the road signs and lack of lane markings leave a 50/50 option.

If there are 3 exits from a roundabout and they are not a simple 9, 12 and 3 o'clock and/or there are less than 3 entry lanes to choose from, the lanes should be arrowed. These lanes are not and drivers are left to make decisions at short notice and a lot of those times those decisions cannot be made until you know which decision the driver in front or alongside has made.

Edited by - BFA on 13 Jan 2011 22:23:12
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  11:01:10  Show Profile
The Highway Code spells out what is really simple.

Turning Left-Left Lane.
Turning Right-Right Lane.

Going straight on is easier and safer from the left hand lane to ovoid cutting back in to traffic using the left lane. It works everywhere else in the country why not in our part of Sussex?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070338
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000