Skate park vandalism
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  13:24:18  Show Profile
The scooter set on fire in the skate bowl yesterday caused further damage, the cost of which will have to be borne yet again by council tax payers.
For such an act of arson to be perpetrated in the early afternoon when children are exiting Angmering school suggests that the miscreants have little respect for the area or its residents.
Perhaps it is time for APC to stop wasting our money on providing expensive amenities for what seems to be an ungrateful sector of our community.

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  15:41:25  Show Profile
Bram, you are misinformed. The vandalism did not take place in the early afternoon Or even in daylight! It took place some time overnight between the hours of 10.30pm & 6.45am yesterday morning.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  16:44:46  Show Profile
I assumed the same as BRAM. Neil's news page put this incident at 3.0PM.

Perhaps there were two seperate incidents?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  16:59:18  Show Profile
Apologies, I think I may have made an error with the time of the incident. I received a daily update from the F&RS and, as I've been rushed off my feet in the last few days, probably did not read the item carefully enough. They must have arrived at 3.00 AM

However, that does not really change the basic sentiment of BRAM's posting.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  17:03:35  Show Profile
As it was 3am does that suggest that the miscreants DO have respect for the area and its residents?

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  17:14:32  Show Profile
I'm sure the miscreants have little respect for the area or its residents at 3am, 3pm, or at any other time of the day or night!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  18:33:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BRAM

The scooter set on fire in the skate bowl yesterday caused further damage, the cost of which will have to be borne yet again by council tax payers.
I would have thought the insurance would cover it, but the premiums are of course paid by council tax payers.

quote:
Originally posted by BRAM

Perhaps it is time for APC to stop wasting our money on providing expensive amenities for what seems to be an ungrateful sector of our community.

It's a well-used facility and I'd say that fortunately the majority are grateful, there will always be yobs etc - a police matter and not something to give in to by not providing such facilities. If someone gets killed by a drunk driver you don't blame the people that built the road
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  19:14:38  Show Profile
BFA.

"..there will always be yobs etc. .. a police matter.."

The police do of course have a role in such matters, but many people will be unaware of the significant change of emphasis in preventing and dealing with anti-social behaviour as a result of legislation, way back in 1998, that we do not hear much about.

Sec 17 Crime and Disorder Act 1998.

This legislation places a duty on councils (don't worry it's not APC, in our case, ADC,) to do all they reasonably can, to reduce crime and disorder locally, and improve people's quality of life as a result.

The duty, provides a focus on how council's delivery of core services, can make a significant difference to crime reduction.

The duty extends to:-

Anti social behaviour.
Substance abuse.
Behaviour adversely affecting the environment.

So it is not just the police. The police have a primary role in investigating crime and of course have always had a role in preventing it.

But, the Local Authority actually have the primary role in providing the climate and environment in which we live, to reduce crime and disorder, under this legislation.

So it is not just ..."a police matter."
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  23:23:50  Show Profile
Thanks for that Bert, and who knows what crimes have been prevented by that legislation.

Back to the opening post though.

1st sentence - wrong - insurance will pay

2nd sentence - (a) wrong but not the fault of the poster (b) goes without saying.

3rd sentence - It's good to see children/youths enjoying themselves and I'd rather see that 95% of the time with problems the other 5% (or whatever) than read these constant whinges from someone that won't change the record.
Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  07:22:34  Show Profile
Glad we sorted that one out then and we have the timings right! My gut feeling is that most of the vandalism & litter etc is caused by youths coming over from East Preston & Littlehampton areas rather than Angmering kids and I'm up there practically every day trying to keep it clean, so have some knowledge of the problem. How many of you have actually seen young people actually cleaning out the skate bowl before using it? I have!
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  13:38:29  Show Profile
BFA

So insurance will pay but normally when insurance claims are made excess premiums are required (first £100/£200 etc) & this presumably, like annual premiums is met from council tax revenue. Furthermore any claim inevitably leads to increased premiums in future years. If this is not the case perhaps APC can confirm.

It is encouraging to see his laid back attitude & in the event of his own properties being vandalised by "children/youths enjoying themselves" he will take the same view & continue trading regardless.

His rather naive picture of just a 5% problem suggests he is living on some planet other than Angmering & Grumpy Girl's experience of littering of the area together with the recent incident where a missile was thrown at one of the environment wardens clearly shows that all is not so rosy. Try reading the Policing statistics.

By the way what are the Angmering Youth Forum doing in regard to such problems?
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  21:01:23  Show Profile
Bram,

You said 'The cost of which will have to be borne yet again by .......' not 'part of the cost' or anything else. I said that we of course pay the premiums and it follows that normal terms and conditions apply. I wonder what the cost will be anyway, is there structural damage or will it just need a good scrub? It's concrete.

Regarding my own property in relation, it wasn't the majority (those enjoying themeselves; using the facility for what it was intended for) that did this. But anyway, yes I would continue, just as I did after the biggest act of vandalism this village has ever seen (the pinch points)!

Straw-grab over my plucked-out-of-the air figures all you like, my point was that the use to abuse ratio is well in favour of the use.

(Edit) If the whole post above was directed at me, I've no idea what the Youth Forum are up to, what do you think they should be?

Edited by - BFA on 17 Feb 2011 21:11:48
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  13:09:20  Show Profile
No BFA it was not all about you although I fail to see how pinchpoints affect the sale of fish & chips.

My question about the Angmering Youth Forum was a general one since their purpose presumably is to represent & interact with the youth element in Angmering with their original stated intention of:
"trying to solve a problem of children hanging around the streets in the evenings, causing anti-social behaviour" {http://www.angmeringyouthforum.co.uk/about-us}
Shouldn't they then be working together with APC to address the issue of vandalism or have they now run out of steam?

Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  19:04:31  Show Profile
What issue of vandalism?
Go to Top of Page

mark

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  22:57:27  Show Profile
Will the real BFA please stand up. Bram correct me if I am wrong but I don't see what pinch points ,fish and chip and BFA have in common as I am owner of fish and chip and have only ever posted on Neils site under my real name which I am sure Neil can confirm as he as access to all your ip addresses . I have never found the need to hide behind a false name or coded name either as I pride myself on being honest member of community and open to discuss things with people in open so please correct me if I am wrong or barking up wrong tree but I hope you do not think BFA is owner of chip shop (no offence BFA ) if you do then you are quite wrong and please get correct information before bringing my business into this forum. So please can the real BFA please correct this member whoever they are .

Many thanks Mark Edwards

Big fry
Angmering

Edited by - mark on 18 Feb 2011 23:09:06
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  23:08:52  Show Profile
Hi Mark,

BFA stands for 'Best Framer in Angmering' - In past posts it's been obvious who I am and the abbreviation was never intended to mislead, but I can appreciate that the username, to anyone new or anyone that does not read the forum that regularly, could be left to work out what BFA stands for and get it wrong - like 'Big Fry Angmering' - never thought of that one until your post, so I'll add a signature to my profile so's there's no confusion.

JT
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  23:10:56  Show Profile
I can confirm that Mark has only ever posted under his real name.

Not sure where this topic is going!
Go to Top of Page

mark

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  23:19:19  Show Profile
Hi BFA yer I know who you are jt and know you have never hidden behind your name as anyone who has read any of your posts will know if they had read them properly and understood your hints to who you are .hope you all have good weekend and bram now realise who he has been arguing with all this time instead of me. Just think if he hired hitman and then you continued to post after my hit . Cheers Mark

Edited by - mark on 18 Feb 2011 23:21:13
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  23:26:42  Show Profile
I always thought Bram knew who I was, but now I'm wondering!

Soooooo - seeing as you do, and seeing as Bram will now know 'BFA' has sod-all to do with the chippy, I'll remove my signature.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  23:45:11  Show Profile
Hey Mark
Wanna buy a lovely beat up Volvo with your personalised number plates??

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  07:05:33  Show Profile
I lost the will to live over the Greenwood Drive school parking thread. Now I am losing it again over the skate bowl topic. Let's all go up to the park and have a bit of fisti-cuffs to settle things which would make a far more interesting topic. I'm Grumpy Girl and I know who I am (just!). I walk the southern streets & green spaces of Angmering picking up litter and dog poo (of which there seems to be an increasing amount lately) - I'm on the trail of one particular dog and owner and when I catch them... I think I know what I will do with the poo!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  09:59:46  Show Profile
I think the post by Grumpygirl on 17.02.11 is probably the nearest to the actual issue. Just because the moped was found at the bowl does not implicate those who use it. We had a moped taken from outside our house a few years ago - it was found destroyed in the middle of the rugby field - should we have blamed the rugby team cos it must have been them - or the low life lout from East Preston that we eventually found out who done it????
On the identity issue - i use my username as when i joined the forum I saw the majority were using such names. Any member has the option of looking at my e-mail address to see who I am.
It is a shame to see these topics turn into slanging matches as it detracts from the real issues that do affect us. Peoples opinions do differ and that is what makes a forum work - just because my view may be different to yours does not make either of us wrong.
Go to Top of Page

GrumpyGirl
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  10:42:33  Show Profile
Wow! Thank you Compost. At last somebody talking sense and in plain English that I can understand!
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  12:45:43  Show Profile
Apologies to all who feel maligned in anyway.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  13:37:16  Show Profile
Just for information, members of the Forums cannot see another member's email address but they can send an email to another member if the latter has allowed that option.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  14:25:04  Show Profile
In an effort to draw a line under my error I would say that I have never sought or wished to know the identity of any poster as I am only interested in the topics & opinions posted & whether these contribute to improving life in Angmering for all without unnecessary cost or inconvenience.
Go to Top of Page

deb8
Average Member

59 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  15:20:14  Show Profile
BRAM

You are a great contributor to these forums - keep the posts coming - I dont think anyone would doubt your sincerity :)) Your attention to financial accountability is commendable.

It is the lively debate that makes the forums interesting.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000