Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 3

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  05:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compost, I have a question for you. Over here we are plagued with deer roaming through the gardens at night. Do you have any natural or organic tips, to make plants less appetizing? I tried rubbing my dogs hair on the rose buds, and it sort of helped, til it rained, but I was hoping for a longer lasting solution. Any ideas are worth a try. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  16:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Not a problem I have I must admit - although would love to have.
No real solution comes to mind apart from,
Is there any way of stopping the path of the Deer - higher fence, more dense hedge?
Plant an abundance of the plants to allow for loss.
Put out apples for them to eat - trying to deflect their attention from the plants.
Would one of those ultra sonic cat/rodent scarer's have any effect!!!

Not being much help lately am I
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  16:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in what you call a static caravan park, so hedge plantings, etc, are out. I have a limited space that is mine, but the deer have free range throughout the park. I also have a limited space for plantings, so mass plantings is out. I'll look into the electronic device, and see if they have one for deer, but somehow, I doubt it.
As to leaving apples, etc, they make the most of all the fruit trees that are already here, as do the bears. We have them in the park every year too. No, they don't keep the deer away, as there's too many other things for them to eat, to bother chasing the deer! LOL I have been trying to plant things they don't like, or won't bother with, but it leaves such a limited garden. If you hear of anything more, please post. I'll keep checking.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  19:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lulu,

Try these sites,

WWW.plantmenow.com
WWW.thriftyfun.com

Hope they help
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  19:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do, thanks Compost!!
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  20:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried one of the sites you gave me, and found this site, through a link. Lots of good deer proof plants!!

http://www.greatgardenplants.com/index.php?pageId=482
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  10:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A former neighbour used to obtain lion dung from a zoo to spread over her garden in order to deter unwanted creatures but I suppose the only danger is that it might encourage other lions.
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  15:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha! I like that, Bram! Make a change from the bears! I also just heard a sort of "old wives tale" remedy. Apparently the testosterone filled urine of teenage boys will do the trick as well. I'll have to recruit my two strapping grandsons, for a midnight sortee!1[(#)]
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  20:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compost, do you know if the primula obconica are perennials or annuals? I bought a few on sale, while on holiday, and I need to know where to put them. It'll be one place if annual, and another, if perennial. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  07:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obconica are usually classed as indoor plants and like a temperature of up to 18 degrees. I have known them to be used as outdoor pot plants in sheltered sunny positions.
They are classed as annuals.
Just checked in the RHS book and they also say that they are basically indoor specimens.

Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  22:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. At last now I know where to put them!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  10:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have any advice as to why my honeysuckle is growing well but does not look like it has any buds on it? It was planted last may and also did not have one flower on it last year? thanks
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  16:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had one like that, and I found that it was not getting enough light. It got the morning light, but only for a few hours, once I moved it to a better location, it took off!! It had also started getting a powdery mildew on the leaves, which is also a clue to not enough light. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  09:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you find that the compost in your pots or hanging baskets is dried out and a gap is now all around the edge, place a small (2 drops) amount of washing up liquid in the watering can and add the 2 gallons of water, this should help the compost retain moisture again.
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  02:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of that compost, but I'm definitely going to try it. That is just what has happened to a couple of my baskets!!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  06:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lulu,
You may need to do this several times - or you can stand the basket in a bucket of water - with a drop of washing up liquid - and let it soak in that way. About half an hour would do it. Do not have the water to deep - about a quarter of the way up the basket.

If you use just compost in pots and baskets the issue of drying out and shrinking back is common - add a small % of soil to the compost first - this retains moisture better.
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  20:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  01:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compost, have you ever successfully rooted cuttings from a witch hazel? We have a lovely yellow one, where I work, and a few of us would like to start one for ourselves. Not sure if they should be old wood, new wood, or a bit of both? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  07:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lulu,

Hope all is well with you.

I have not tried with Witch Hazel - I will refer to the RHS book when I get back in this evening. Off to the woods for the day.
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  22:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for putting in the time and effort. Much appreciated. You are so lucky to be able to just amble off to the woods. We do have a lot of wooded areas here, but you take your life in your hands, with the bears and cougars that are prowling about. The bears have been spotted already this season!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  07:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lulu,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Witch Hazel is best propagated by air layering - where you make a cut in a branch and fill with sphagnum moss and then surround the cut with more of the moss soaked in a little hormone/rooting compound. Cover and seal in a plastic (black) sleeve (a plastic bag is fine, open both ends - slide over the moss) and tape each end securely.
It will need at least one growing season to establish a good root ball. Then simply cut below the joint, unwrap the root ball and pot up.
When making the initial cut - make it from the main stem outwards at about 45 degrees.
Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  00:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks compost, I have air layered before. I will try it on the witch hazel, but it will be awkward, as it's in the parking lot at work, and if someone doesn't know what it is, they might remove it. I'll have to find a branch hidden from main view. I'm also going to try a few more softwood cuttings, just because. I'll let you know if anything happens.
ps Thought I was getting away lucky with the deer problem, but they hit me last night. Almost defoliated my plum tree, and removed most of my Cox's Orange Pippins, that were just starting to fill out. They're beautiful, but a pain in the patoot!!

Edited by - Lulu on 27 Jun 2009 00:15:52
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  08:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard that a few soap shavings help keep deer away - not sure what quantity you would have to use or even where/how you would place them. Bit of a dream to have deer in the garden - but also a problem with the plants/young trees.
I loved the idea of bears in the wood, dangerous but slightly exciting.
I am lucky enough that my work is going more and more over to woodland management and rural crafts - just sitting in the woods with a small fire going pottering about.

Speak soon
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  16:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by "crafts"?
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  07:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things like Charcoal Burning - Woven Hazel fence panels - gate hurdles and logging
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  15:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen the fencing done on Ground Force, and was fascinated by it. Would love to learn.I was thinking of buying myself a book on how to make furniture and trellises from branches and twigs. They look so lovely and rustic. I envy you your job!!
I have taken more softwood cuttings from the witch hazel and have potted them up using some rooting hormone. Now it's just wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  10:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to plant spring cabbage, i start mine in the greenhouse and when about 8 inches high transfer them to their growing position. Remember to plant then 2 inches deeper than they are in the pots.
January King is a good cabbage to plant now direct outside, heads will be ready for January harvest - may even get some in time for christmas.
Planting leeks out at 2 weeks intervals - again these were stared in deep pots in the greenhouse.
Pak Choi is best sown now - earlier sowings tend to bolt a bit.
As the seasons become more as one the growing season for each vegetable increases, I have a saying - seeds dont grow in packets - if you have a few seeds spare, plant them you never know.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  20:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have some spare carrot seeds, especially the early varieties, plant then now for some autumn crops.
Check sweetcorn - if the kernals exude a clear fluid- they need a bit longer, no fluid - its to late, however if a milky fluid shows - get them in the pot as soon as poss. Lots of butter and a sprinkle of black pepper.
Corn cobs are also good on the B-B-Q
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  21:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compost, I planted a few cabbge seeds, to try for some spring heads, but the plants are looking quite leggy. I tried to keep them from too much heat and light, but they still don't look too good. Would you advise planting them, or chucking them and starting over?

Sorry for such basic questions, but I was always the flower grower. My late husband was the veggie gardener.

Sorry for the edits, but I keep missing letters out of words and have to go back and retype them!

Edited by - Lulu on 15 Aug 2009 21:44:30
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  09:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lulu,

Plant them out, i do not protect my spring cabbages from bird attack - sounds strange but a bit off a pecking checks their growth and makes then less likely to bolt when the weather improves in the spring.

Plant them 2 inches deeper than they are in the pots.

Some of the cabbages I have grown started out looking like they would not survive overnight, let alone go on to be good heads in the end. As with all brassica's they need to struggle to do well.
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  16:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right! Thanks compost, will do as you suggest. Wish me luck!!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  16:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the summer draws to a close it would be nice to hear of any gardening successes that have been acheived, have you grown your first crop of veg, was your sunflower higher than usual. Have your plants lasted longer this year.
Anything that has brought happiness to you in the gardening world - lets hear about it.
Would be great to hear some gardening tips from around the village, are there some "old timer" hints that seem to work.

Next year, put a small amount of your hoover dust around you tomato plants - really feeds them well.
This year I tried a patio/hanging basket type of tomato - "Hundred & Thousands" by Suttons - still picking them, they are the size of grapes and are as sweet as any variety I have tried. Look lovely in a salad.

Maybe users of the forum could add recipes for using up surplus garden produce - will add a few of my own if interest is shown.
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  16:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was given a LARGE zucchini that no one else wanted, and made the most delicious zucchini relish! I have also asked for and been given this years green tomatoes, the ones that probably won't ripen, and am making green tomato chutney. It uses up all those tomatoes that normally would be tossed out. If anyone is interested in either recipe, I'll post it here.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2009 :  22:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made some tomato soup and think it is better than anything you can buy,

All measurements are rough as I do not weigh anything,

In a roasting tin place 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 sliced cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of rosemary. Place in oven at around gas mark 5 until hot.
Cut 3lb of tomatoes in half - add to roasting tin once oil is hot and return to oven. I let them cook for around half an hour.
In a saucepan cut up 2 medium carrots and cook until soft.
Take roasting tin from oven and empty in to a large saucepan, you can remove the skins if you wish (I leave them on). Add the carrots and about a pint of vegetable stock (add more to get the consistency you prefer). Blitz with a blender - season to taste, add a squeeze of tomato puree and stir thouroghly. Serve.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2009 :  22:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to start thinking about starting some tomato seeds off in the greenhouse - I do not heat my greenhouse so will wait for the frosts to clear this week, then will start half a dozen seeds in pots for an early crop.
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  16:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any particular varieties? Have you ever grown the "black" tomatoes, said to have come from Russia, that are supposed to be very cold tolerant?
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  19:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I grow "Inca" as a plum tomato and will wait a few weeks before sowing these.
I grow "money Maker" "Gardeners Delight" as normal/cherry toms and will be sowing these in the next week.
I also grow a variety called "Hundreds & Thousands" for hanging baskets - but will not sow these until April. I picked the last crop of these in December this year.

As for the Black ones - a friend grew them last year, got a fair crop - but they look unappetising on a plate ! ! !
Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  20:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks compost, I'll look for those varieties in my newest seed catalogue. As to the black tomatoes, I don't think they look particularly appetising either. and I have not tasted them, but I thought the main purpose of them was that they would grow in colder weather, where other varieties wouldn't. Making them a good choice for gardeners who otherwise wouldn't think of growing tomatoes.
I am looking forward to summer, to try out the chutney recipe.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2010 :  17:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ideal weather to get the veg plot turned over, frosts will help break down any big clods as well as hopefully getting rid of a few soil bourne pests.

A good layer of well rotted manure over the area for potatoes will not do any harm. I have added seaweed to my potato patch this year - it has a few months to rot down a bit, and the salt content should be watered down sufficiently.

Check soil Ph - Brassicas like soil that has had a bit of lime added, remember it takes a few months for the benefits to get into the soil, so a light dusting now will help.

Would be nice to see other tips on this subject, seems I have an audience of 1. (Thanks Lulu)
Go to Top of Page

Tinklebelle
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2010 :  23:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have an allotment (which keeps our freezers filled with fruit for family and friends), as well as a pretty big garden - your hints are as good as BBC "GQT", Compost ! Thank you. I forgot to put all our tubbed red Canna Lilies in the greenhouse and now they look very sad, wonder if they will survive this cold weather ? Have joined the Angmering Horticultural Club too, that's an excellent friendly group.

Tinklebelle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000