169 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  09:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
General discussions

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  12:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the comments I made to ADC in my letter of objection to the VHB Planning Application related to the poor drainage on the site and the water run-off that could cause, or contribute to, flooding. The brick-earth (clay based soil) is great for horticulture but rain water is exceptionally slow to drain (unlike the chalk several hundred metres to the north).

This morning, we walked down Cow Lane (the ancient road/track running parallel to the A280) and I have never seen it in such poor condition. The lane had become a stream and stretches past the Rugby Club down to the VHB site were impassable - we had to climb to the higher track.

I wonder how much worse Cow Lane could become with run-off from a housing development!
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  11:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over 260 Letters of Objection to the VHB Nurseries planning application were received by ADC before the 27th December deadline. Not as many as were posted in respect of the Barratt's site but a good result nevertheless, given there were other pressing matters to deal with in this period!

So, thanks to all who took the time and trouble to respond.

There are other potential applications over the horizon so we may very well be calling on all villagers yet again. Easy for 'objection fatigue' to set in but it's vital that those making the decisions are fully aware of the strength of feeling regarding unsuitable developments in the village. If we don't object they'll assume we are content with planning proposals.

Go to Top of Page

sandeW

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  12:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea ^ - one of the points I myself have raised in both objection letters written so far - is that using greenland/greenfield/? is going to lessen the habitat for nature - and as a VILLAGE rather than TOWN, wildlife is an important part of life.

Having spent more than 2 decades living abroad before returning to Angmering (where I was born/grew up) I have witnessed the after-effect of building on previously natural land.

I think I may start writing a base letter that can be altered to each proposal - that way, i will not have to start from scratch every time there is a call for a new letter and will be able to join in with my objection with more ease.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  09:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SAV have just posted their objections to the JV Plants-Pound Nursery developement onto their website - http://www.saveangmering.co.uk/ - look down the right hand side menu. I haven't yet seen any response from the Parish Council - are they supporting the village in objecting?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  10:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parish Council nearly always send in their comments after the deadline date. Seems they are allowed to do this but I would not rely on ADC accepting comments from PC after deadline!
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  14:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds a very risky strategy by APC to me, and completely unnecessary. If the final date for objections (or support) is 7th February, then what is wrong with submitting them before that date. Appears a perfectly simple option to me. Why leave it until after the closing date.

Let's hope they havn't left it too late to be accepted this time.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  14:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over 500 letters of objections from individuals in the village to the JV Plants application. A tremendous result! There were just over 600 objections to the Barratt's application so it compares very favourably. As we believe the two proposed developments are linked, the Planners and Councillors at ADC should really take notice of the strength of feeling.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  19:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Parish Council has now posted its objections letters to various proposed developments on its website here - http://www.angmeringparishcouncil.gov.uk/main.cfm?Type=NI&objectid=2705
Go to Top of Page

AngmeringAl

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  09:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for putting that up

Edited by - AngmeringAl on 10 Mar 2013 09:31:04
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  10:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This shows the importance of any development in Angmering, benefiting Angmering and not somewhere else. The Sainsbury development is in Angmering parish, not Littlehampton - from the Littlehampton Gazette website today - full article here http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/business/portas-money-doubles-good-news-for-littlehampton-1-4883366

- The Portas’ Project, a Government-backed drive to revitalise town centres, led by retail guru Mary Portas, has awarded a £10,000 starter grant to reinvigorate Littlehampton, despite the town failing in a bid last year for £100,000 of funding from the project for a pilot scheme.

The windfall has been announced at the same time that recruitment is underway for a new town centre regeneration officer for Littlehampton.

The successful candidate could be in line to earn between £32,216 and £34,549 a year during a four-year contract, funded by a cash injection from retail giant Sainsbury’s, as a condition of planning approval given by Arun District Council for the redevelopment of its supermarket at the New Road Retail Park in Rustington.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  11:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Neil's explanation of the Parish boundary, I don't think Sainsbury's is in Angmering. The boundary, from what was known as the Texaco roundabout to the Windmill Bridge roundabout runs along the centre of the dual carriageway.

Therefore Sainsbury's is not in our parish. That's how I read Neil's explanation.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  11:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree Bert. On all my maps, Sainsbury's is in Rustington.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  13:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Councillors for hire who give firms planning advice - Telegraph
Telegraph investigation: Councillors across England are offering themselves for hire to property developers who are hoping to take advantage of relaxed planning laws which come into effect within weeks.Read more here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9921344/Councillors-for-hire-who-give-firms-planning-advice.html?fb
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  15:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presentation of the A259 improvement study - 7pm tomorrow (Tuesday 12th March) at The Millennium Chamber, Manor House, Church Street, Littlehampton (next to the Church Street car park)

The recommendations of a study commissioned to look at a section of the A259, between Littlehampton and Ferring, will be presented to the Joint Eastern Arun Area Committee on Tuesday 12 March 2013, from 7.00pm, at The New Millennium Chamber, Manor House, Church Street, Littlehampton, BN17 5EW.
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  22:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was always led to believe that the Parish Boundary ran from the 'Blue Star' or 'Texaco' (as it became) roundabout along the cycle/foot path past Sainsbury's, Halfords, etc.
This would make the retail park in Rustington.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  13:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presentation of the A259 improvement study
Tonight's meeting of the JEAAC (Joint Eastern Arun Area Committee) has been postponed.
This information will soon be posted on their website together with the new date which is expected to be Thursday 21st March. Members of the public are allowed to ask questions. Please watch the website for the revised date, time and venue.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  13:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nigel, it's very difficult to see from any map I possess whether the boundary runs along the footpath or in the centre of the dual carriageway. The Angmering Parish Council 1994 Council Centenary map has it running along the centre of the road, but that is only diagrammatic. Perhaps someone at APC could let us know as just a matter of interest.

Whether the boundary is in the centre of the road or 20 feet to the south, one thing is clear and that, as you say, is that the present Retail Park lies in Rustington.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  14:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clarity on the parish border - just as bad then for Rustington to have a supermarket, but with the financial benefits used in another part of the district - did Rustington not need this money? Surely funding from Morrisons would have been more appropriately used in Littlehampton, or has that been used as well?
Go to Top of Page

AngmeringAl

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  22:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So does the new Chandlers proposed site lie in or outside of the Angmering Parish ?
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  12:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its in.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  08:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chandler’s planning application for the village housing development has been withdrawn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  19:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea why? Answers on a postcard please......
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  20:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We suspect that they have taken note of the reservations expressed by SAV and others and decided they need to put forward alternative proposals.

Pressure is still on them from BMW to find and construct new site in late 2014/early 2015 so we expect a revised application will emerge before too long.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  16:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know why the trees along Roundstone Lane by the Rugby Club are being cleared - is this anything to do with any of the proposed developments?
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2013 :  15:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please see the SAV website for an urgent message about The Growth and Infrastructure bill in Parliament now - it could have huge repercussions for us. http://www.saveangmering.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2013 :  12:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see there is a plan on the Council Offices window for road modifications to allow for the development east of Roundstone Lane. Obviously a done deal!!!!

oooopss!! Just found it on Council Web Site

Edited by - roosterbri on 02 Jun 2013 13:03:47
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  18:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The following e-mail has come to our attention at SAV. It suggests that despite supposed public consultation, recommendation of reduced housing by the ADC Local Plan Sub Committee, and agreement of that recommendation by full Council, the Planners are intent on progressing the developments to the east of Roundstone Lane by continuing to hold meetings with the developers concerned, possibly to facilitate the process of approval.

What price democracy? And what is the stance of our Parish Council in all this? Check it out.

http://www.saveangmering.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Peter-Cleveland.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Atomius

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  19:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is already enough sprawl around our tow- sorry, village...

Wouldn't it make more sense to build some higher density developments in the current conurbation to the south than further encroaching upon what little rural/semi-rural land exists as a barrier around the village?

In Simcity my advisors tell me that low density sprawl causes more problems than it solves. While it may be desirable, it does not promote affordable housing (which is what is needed), nor does it utilise resources efficiently.

Any planner who thinks Roundstone is the spot for a new housing development is an idiot or corrupt.
Go to Top of Page

Smuggler

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  09:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It never seems to amaze me how the Save Angmering Village people have conveniently forgotten that your houses are on land once filtched from the wonderful village people. The land that Cumberland and BG, Greenacres were built on was once used for villagers to grow crops,have allotments and for countless little smallholdings to feed the village. WE didn't want your houses but it made no difference.
Lets face it Angmering is no longer a village its a small town.What right have you to try and stop others being a part of this wonderful community,and having somewhere nice to live

syliviajanesmith
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This undemocratic action by Arun Planners is an absolute disgrace. Angmering Parish Council needs to take action and issue a public statement - NOW.

I've now raised the issue on the AVL News page. What is also needed is for people to write to both ADC and to the Littlehampton Gazette.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  11:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smuggler, you seem to suggest that those 'Save Angmering Village people'
are those living primarily in the recent development areas. The support, however, is spread pretty equally around the entire village. And Angmering is still a village. At the moment anyway. Pity you don't seem to care much what happens.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  11:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smuggler - I presume you live in a house, and not a tent or caravan, in which case your house will have been built on England's green and pleasant land, however old it is, depriving someone of their ability to grow crops and feed themselves, even if it was the lord of the manor who owned the land.
Go to Top of Page

Atomius

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  16:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Smuggler-

All houses have been constructed at some point in time. Sustainable village sizes however can exist. There is plenty of land in Britain. Consider that it takes an hour to walk to Littlehampton. That's just two or three parishes at most. It took me seven hours to walk to Chichester via the South Downs Way. In this day of motoring it is easy to forget just how vast our land really is/was.

At any rate Angmering is a textbook example of too much sprawl in the wrong place. Ideally the village shouldn't have grown much larger than it was when my grandfather was growing up in the 30s. The house we live in now was built circa 1950 and I would consider those houses to be sprawl.

Bramley Green I have only cycled past so am not very acquainted with, but I read somewhere the village has a population of 5000. I think there is a definite case of sprawl here, whether it was required or not.

Back where I used to live there was a development called Sandon Point which was controversial for a number of reasons but one argument was 'let people live in this lovely spot'. Thing is after a while there's so many people it's no longer such a lovely spot.

The village is barely within the definition of the term these days. Compare us with Poling or Crossbush for instance. If we were surrounded by farmland for miles and had a couple more shops we'd be a town.

We are lucky to still retain some vestige of ruralness. I cycle to work across fields for some way, but am always aware that a mile away is the hustle and bustle of Rustington.

Arun is not the district for more housing. Firstly as it would be low-density it wouldn't be affordable, and secondly if there really must be any new housing built it should be at Ford. Ford is ideally suited for this as it has a railway station that is underutilised (and also lacks a gentlemen's bathroom as I noted last time I changed trains there)and could house some developments thereabout.

More houses in Roundstone would just add to the traffic problems on the road and add to the depreciation of the rural nature of the area.
Go to Top of Page

Mr Growser
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  16:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who is this Peter Cleveland and where does he fit in to the Arun Council Planning Management Structure ?
He certainly has not been visible at the recent Council Meetings attended by SAV Supporters.
His 20/06 " Dear All............Kind Regards " e mail confidential to the recipients listed as addressees and not intended for the Public Domain begs the question as to who authorised such an approach and was it undertaken with the Authority of the relevant elected Cabinet Member,Ricky Bowers?
If so then we should be told and if not P45 would be the next correct step.
Am not holding my breath for a satisfactory response to my rantings.
Democracy is dead in Arun!!!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  17:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter Cleveland is Senior Planner at Arun District Council - see http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/peter-cleveland/62/483/272
Go to Top of Page

Sue Ware

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  13:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please see my posting on Angmering General – Forum, Sticky Building Development in Angmering on 24 July 2013
Sue Ware
SAV
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  12:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the delay in ADC consideration of development options, the next critical date in the calendar is the meeting on August 7th, which our Parish Clerk is attending, to purportedly discuss development options in Angmering. See the APC website comment http://www.angmeringparishcouncil.gov.uk/mediaFiles/downloads/48984229/Arun_invitation_to_meeting_Re__The_Roundstone_Planning_Applications.pdf.

We say 'purportedly' because there is continuing suspicion that this is not in fact a consideration of options but more a 'rubber stamp' of already agreed developments on Roundstone Lane between the developers and the planners.

Such an agenda would yet again illustrate the disdain which our councils have displayed to their electorate.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  20:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The words "likely" and "potential" should be writ large to emphasise that they give no promise at all.
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2015 :  14:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
District Council Elections – May 15th 2015.

With the upcoming District Council elections SAV thought this would be an excellent opportunity to pose a few questions to each of the 8 nominated candidates from the each of the 5 political parties they represent, these being, in no particular order of preference, Labour (1), Conservative (3), Lib Dems (2), Greens(1) and UKIP (1), especially as to-date leafleting of information about candidates and what they stand for seems to be patchy across the village.

The questions relate to local issues which will be of direct interest to the Angmering electorate regarding current and potential future large scale housing development in Angmering:

• Delivery of the developments east of Roundstone Lane,
• The timing of infrastructure delivery to support the Roundstone Lane Developments e.g. primary school places, A259 upgrade, doctors surgery.
• The ongoing threat by the Inspectorate for ADC to increase housing numbers in its Local Plan and the possible repercussions for Angmering.
• Their views on Localism and whether or not it is working.

SAV is non-politically motivated and their responses will be published verbatim in SAV's next Newsletter to be issued a few days before Election Day on 7th May.

We look forward to their responses and hope that it will be helpful in your decision making as to who will get your vote as your “local” representatives.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  10:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having written to our current Conservative Councillor Andy Cooper, giving him the opportunity to catalogue what he feels he has achieved for Angmering, I have yet to receive a response.

Have always been a Conservative supporter, and will continue to support our Local MP, but on the local election front, forget it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000