Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering General - Forum
 Building Development in Angmering (Part 1)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 11

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2012 :  20:37:37  Show Profile
Well Newbird - get involved and your friends too; spread the word. The Save Angmering Village campaign needs you and your enthusiasm and commitment. So welcome aboard.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  07:08:20  Show Profile
I live in Angmering on the Bramley Green estate, I do not feel hypocritical about saying "enough is enough" - not just for Angmering but for the whole South - East region.
Like many others I am glad to live in such a lovely part of the county and it is thanks to the building of new houses that has enabled us to do so. Should we deprive more people of the same oppurtunity??? I think the big questions are the ones based on amenities in the area, is there enough water to go round, will adequateroad works be put in place and so on.
However, what is hypocritical is those who have discounted the Bramley Geen estate and classed the residents as outsiders since it was built - now looking for support from these people.....just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Guiseppe
Average Member

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2012 :  19:33:56  Show Profile
AVL News & Views 3rd March 2012 :
"Mr Herbert talked of the Coalition's new approach to planning and expressed personal concern over increasing rural development and building projects that were unsustainable. He intends to contact Barratt/David Wilson Homes himself to discuss their proposed development".

Interesting to see that Nick Herbert( our local MP) visited Barratt/David Wilson Homes second exhibition at the village hall today ( about midday).
In a brief conversation he told me that he had arranged to meet a senior manager from the developers at the exhibition today but that person had failed to turn up !
In the light of this and the dismissive attitude shown by the developers to both APC and Angmering residents at the last Parish Council meeting on 12th March , I believe this demonstrates the contempt these people have for anyone other than the decision makers on ADC etc. who can help further their mission to drive this development through.
The people of Angmering must stand up to these arrogant people whose only purpose in life is share value enhancement and clearly despite their glossy presentations do not care a jot for the environmental aspects of the development locations they target.
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  04:47:26  Show Profile
Did anyone learn anything new from the latest exhibition by the developers? If so please share this with this forum or SAV Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Angmering-Village-from-more-houses/124415027577151?sk=wall.
Even if you didn't, let this forum have your thoughts on the exhibition.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  08:26:59  Show Profile
Plenty of plans but, unless I missed them, no renderings of what the houses would actually look like. Much the same as Bramley Green, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  11:18:15  Show Profile
Here's a quote I unashamedly culled from a Daily Torigraph blog which just about sums up my own view. To see it in DT go to: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/hands-off-our-land/9168701/Planning-reforms-applications-will-be-slammed-in-under-new-rules.html

Quote:
After immigration stupidity and energy short sightedness, the next big threat to Britain and its heritage is over development.

You can not trust the Government (any and all parties) and you certainly can never trust developers. Developers only care about their bottom line. Their plans always say they consider the local fabric of the community but it is all lies. We need sustainable policies that are simple, place control back into local peoples hands, not planning committees, and that respects the fabric of the community and understands the impact on the schools, medical care and support services such as Police and fire, and the environment.Tens of thousands of perfectly useful empty homes about, why not put them to service?
Unquote.
Go to Top of Page

Pansy

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  10:42:19  Show Profile
I wonder what the least expensive house on this proposed development might cost? Or, for that matter, what all the house prices would be should planning permission be granted? No-where have we seen any details of the actual houses proposed as mentioned above.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  11:46:59  Show Profile
Pansy..it's far too early for that....these are, as you say yourself..."proposals."

Hopefully, with the new Planning Laws giving Local Authorities 12 months to get their Local Plan in place, the developers should not be able to take advantage of the absence of a completed Plan.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  17:19:12  Show Profile
The expression "Local Plan" appears somewhat ambiguous....I do not know, but I assume "Local Plan" relates to the Plan to be produced, in our area, by Arun District Council, which will include the number of properties to be built in the whole Arun District.

Their Full Council, Preferred Option, is 400 properties a year, across the whole Arun District, and 100 properties for Angmering for the whole period of the next 16 years, with the possibility of a share with 4 other parishes of up to a further 143 properties, during that 16 years.

So far as Angmering and other villages are concerned, it appears our Plan is called a Community Led Plan (CLP) that will, when complete be known as our Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP.)

On the APC website in an update of December 2011, re our CLP/NDP it indicated that there was a target date of Summer 2012, for it to be produced, voted upon by Angmering residents and adopted for action by the Parish Council.

Hopefully this is on schedule and hopefully the Arun District Council Local Plan will be produced and adopted within 12 months.

Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  18:29:20  Show Profile
What I do not understand then, with the figures Bert has just provided and which were also noted by the APC Clerk at the last APC meeting (where Barrat’s attended), is why at the same meeting did APC invite Barrett’s to get involved in the NDP where the developers are talking 100s of houses in the space of say 3 – 5 years, whilst the ADC preferred option for Angmering is 100 plus a possible share amongst 4 other villages of an additional 149 over the next 16 years? Am I missing something here? If I am can someone please explain it to me.

Whilst I appreciate that it is not possible to prevent developers submitting speculative planning applications, I would have thought with the knowledge that APC had regarding ADC plans and which I assume must also be in the public domain, that APC might have raised an eyebrow or two when the developers first made their overtures to APC back in what I understand was circa 2010.

If any member of the APC reads this forum perhaps they might like to make a comment on their own website as to this issue or better still reply on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  19:29:11  Show Profile
Robinf....hopefully a member of APC will respond to your point.

However, I did raise the issue of the numbers with APC Chair on the APC Q and A forum in December, under the heading of Housing Growth Consultation/Allocation, to which the Chair did reply...it may be helpful for you to re- read the Q and A.

Time and events have of course moved on since then and other issues have arisen, as you have indicated.

One of the reasons I have mentioned the 12 month issue..with the new law/guidelines coming into force yesterday (27th) is I think it very relevant to the issue, that the developers were probably going to use the weakness in Angmering and Arun position in not having a Plan adopted and in place, during which time to make their application

In other parts of the country there have been conflicting situations. In some cases, applications from developers have been refused, to give Local Authorities more time to get their Plans in place, but in others, applications have been given the green light on the basis that the Plan is not in place, so there is nothing against which to guage the application, and it was for the respective LA to get their act together and they hadn't, in effect.

Hence I think it extremely important that Angmering and Arun have a Plan in place as soon as possible and in any case within 12 months, I think it could make a difference to the outcome. I suspect this gives the system some "breathing space" but I would be interested in the views of others who have knowledge of these matters.

Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  09:12:23  Show Profile
With Save Angmering having now published the results of the village survey - 99% plus against development from the voting papers received - one third of those canvassed, and the statement from The Angmering Society indicating their strong objection, would it be too much now to expect the Parish Council to also reflect the view of its 'electorate' by starting to campaign in rejection of the scheme?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  11:51:48  Show Profile
The SAV group, and especially Sue Ware, have come out of this with much credit.

Unfortunately, the same thing cannot be said of the Parish Council which had a chance to do something similar, but baulked at spending on a vote to give residents the opportunity of letting them know their feelings on new large-scale housing developments. But this Council continues to spend on other non-important matters at a time when most people are feeling the pinch as central government measures start to bite - as they were intended.

And a posible solution? Cut the number of APC committees - they just provide the opportunity for councillors finding ways of spending our money!

As DD suggests, we should now expect the Parish Council to start acting positively against the Barratt/David Wilson housing scheme. But will we? I doubt it. I expect they will be worried about what impact this latest vote will have on parts of their emerging Neighbourhood Plan!

Having been criticised for its lack of action, at least The Angmering Society has now acted positively and declared its colours.
Go to Top of Page

Mr Growser
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  14:19:48  Show Profile
Agree fully with Neil that APC have dropped the ball on this one and need to really start sprinting to catch up.
First test of commitment will be how they organise facilities for us to attend upcoming APC Meeting this coming Monday.
The King`s Suite did not work last time and it does not need Rocket Science to anticipate a similar turnout by many interested Villagers particularly as SAV Voting Slips will be handed to APC.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  14:54:13  Show Profile
I have to agree with Neil that the number of committees (see the council website) is unbelievable.

This proposed development would constitute an undesirable and excessive extension of the village of Angmering into the surrounding rural area which would be detrimental to the character and amenities of the locality.

This is currently a major issue for the residents of Angmering, not the patch of wilderness at the bottom of Dappers Lane (concrete it over and set a couple of large flower troughs in the concrete) nor the pond in Mayflower Park(which is so far away from most of the residents of Angmering.

Come on APC get a grip on your priorities!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  15:19:46  Show Profile
I totally agree with Neil.

In the absence of a parish referendum or any form of survey, organised and funded by our Parish Council, it has been left to a small group of volunteers and Sue Ware in particular, who has spent very substantial amounts of her time and effort over recent weeks and months, in doing what our Parish Council should have done.

She has ascertained the views of residents, that the Parish Council are supposed to represent, by a very well organised parish survey.

There has been considerable cost involved by Sue and the small group of volunteers, especially with the printing of thousands of information and voting forms, that were distributed around the households of the parish, together with much organisation, from scratch, to prepare the content and deliver the forms in this large parish.

I am sure I speak for 99% of the residents of Angmering, in thanking Sue in particular, and her group, for taking on this expensive and time consuming exercise.

If I were a Parish Councillor, I would be feeling very embarrassed, but I hope, as others have said, now the evidence is crystal clear, and placed in front of them, that the Parish Council start to act against any future large scale development, start representing the residents, and ensure the Community Neighbourhood Plan fully reflects the views of 99% of the residents, which of course, is their legal responsibility.
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  16:56:17  Show Profile
Item # 7 on the upcoming APC meeting on the 23 April 2012 could be interesting:

7. PUBLIC CONSULTATION.
An opportunity for parishioners to seek information or question the Council and its members on any matter in respect of the parish.

Wouldn't miss this meeting for the world!!
Go to Top of Page

Mr Growser
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  23:34:32  Show Profile
You had better get there early otherwise you will find there is no room for you in the Kings Suite.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  12:46:04  Show Profile
Having read the piece in this week's Littlehampton Gazette I'm struck by Sue Ware's tempered comments on the Parish Council. She feels the Council has been "fairly reserved" in their response. Fairly reserved?
More like comatose I would have thought.

Nice of the Council Chairman to congratulate Sue on the recent survey - is that called damning with faint praise? She says "there is nothing we can do until the application goes in" We don't expect the Council to actually do anything - why break the habit of a lifetime? Just make your approval/rejection of the scheme clear.
Go to Top of Page

Mr Growser
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  13:26:13  Show Profile
Still no comment from APC on why Parish Clerk felt it appropriate to invite Barratts to help in developing Angmering Neighbourhood Plan at the last APC Meeting in Kings Suite and whether such comments had their support.
Did I miss something or is this still their mindset?
Maybe this will be picked up next Monday under Item No 7 - Public Consultation.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  13:49:49  Show Profile
If the Council is so minded, it can prepare much of its case before the planning application is lodged. The Council knows most of the issues and can spend time now researching and documenting its findings.

There will be little enough time for the Council to prepare a decent case after the application is submitted. I have to say that I have seen very few good responses to planning applications from them over the years.

If residents find that the Council has submitted a sub-standard response, the pressure that it would bring upon itself would be enormous. All the good work the Council had done in the past would be totally negated. The Council should be prioritising NOW and be directing its resources to counter this threat to our community! At the moment, to the outsider, it looks like a rabbit staring into the headlights of an oncoming juggernaut!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  14:04:11  Show Profile
One of the items on the PC's agenda for Monday night is:

"The Chairman has received a request to meet Parish Council representatives from Julian Jones of Barratt Homes and seeks the Parish Council’s guidance on how to proceed."

Perhaps Forum members might like to give the Chairman some advice! Barratts obviously do not want the public to hear what they have to say. It's a great pity that the Clerk did not document notes/minutes of previous private meetings between Barratts and the PC.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  14:23:50  Show Profile
What do we want? Response from Angmering PC.

When do we want it? Now.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  16:09:27  Show Profile
DD, I look forward to the PCs answer to the question you have directly asked on the Parish Council Forum. Perhaps it will also help them focus on Monday night's agenda item which I detailed earlier!
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  18:00:29  Show Profile
Not sure how 'constitutional' this would be, but perhaps in AOB, if the APC does not come up to snuff so to speak, in regard to it's responses to issues that no-doubt will be tabled on Monday evening by the parishioners, that a vote of 'no confidence' should be called for by the parishioners?!?!

Let's all hope however, that APC will at last remove any doubt as to their position on this issue, although I am bound to say I'm not holding my breath based on their past performance.

Come on APC, what are you waiting for? Do yourselves and the parish residents a favour and let's have some transparency for a change.
Go to Top of Page

Pansy

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  12:53:54  Show Profile
"The Chairman has received a request to meet Parish Council representatives from Julian Jones of Barratt Homes and seeks the Parish Council’s guidance on how to proceed."

Perhaps I could offer a helpful suggestion to the above request to APC from Barratt Homes.............continue along Water Lane until you reach the Angmering By Pass and keep going and, please, don't bother to return!
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  12:26:24  Show Profile
At the end of the day the developers will win.

Ask yourself what happens to the Rugby Club?? There is nothing stopping the Rugby Club selling to anybody they like...they would of course prefer to sell to somebody who can offer them alternative accommodations (or at least space to build them). If the Rugby Club want to get into the higher leagues thay need a bigger and better ground with better facilities for supporters.

The developers can sit on the land and eventually barge their way through all opposition.

One day all the available land south of the A27 between Worthing and Arundel and the A259 will be ""Housing"
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  15:54:49  Show Profile
Not much Churchillian spirit there then. A lot of people are working hard to contest this development. You may be right but it's a bit early to throw in the towel.

The Rugby Club's only real option is to sell for development. Who else would want the land? Extension of the Nursery, I suppose, but the sale value would be a lot less.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  15:58:29  Show Profile
Not throwing in the towel...I just wonder how long the Rugby Club can wait while the dithering goes on!!
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  15:59:16  Show Profile
Neil, nearly one week on and no response from APC to my question of the 20th so it looks as if your scepticism was well justified.

It seems that any response prior to the Planning Application might be prejudicial. That may or not be the case but it does sound suspiciously like a 'fence sitters' charter'.

If, however, legal opinion supports this contention then all the APC needs to do is say it. It is the silence that causes people to feel that their current position is untenable.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  17:37:09  Show Profile
I suspect they replied at the recent Council Meeting.....see the Gazette
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  18:15:48  Show Profile
Derekdainton
Please accept my apologies for the delay, I know it looks so bad.
the reason is that it was agreed at the outset that all replies would be vetted by our clerk for legalities etc.
Unfortunately, although I have done reply ready, our clerk has been on leave since Tuesday, and I cannot post it until it has been approved.

This is not an excuse, it is a reason, and I will make sure the reply is posted as soon as possible.

Many thanks

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  18:42:45  Show Profile
The Gazette article today probably states their position, but it is unacceptable that the PC has not responded to Derek's question - because they do not like it!

If the PC fail to respond, then they will have broken the terms of having the APC Forum which would ultimately result in the withdrawal of the facility.

Did anyone sit through the whole PC meeting on Monday and learn the outcome of the agenda item:

Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  20:42:07  Show Profile
I did not stay to the death on Monday evening but the subject was I believe covered in an earlier agenda item. If I remember rightly the PC Clerk stated that APC was obliged to receive the Barratt’s representative as a part of ‘the process’ of dealing with planning applications and this whole CLDP issue. To do otherwise by APC would be seen as obstructing the process. I also believe that the clerk stated that all they were obliged to do is listen and nothing more. However, since Barratt’s have asked an open question I’m not sure how APC will respond when the meeting takes place.
Since feeling are running high in the village on this subject, perhaps it would be helpful in this particular case if minutes were taken of the meeting and posted on APC website for all to read.
If someone did stay to hear this agenda item they would like to enlighten the community at large as to what was discussed by the APC members although I am sure the minutes of the Council meeting will be published at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Mr Growser
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  21:22:47  Show Profile
I also did not stay to the end on Monday but agree with RobinF that this issue was discussed earlier in the Agenda when we were told APC could not avoid a Meeting with Barratts but were not legally permitted to help Barratts case forward,as they had to be seen as impartial, but as I understand could only merely listen and not respond.
Given APC`s timidity to engage it would seem that such a Meeting should be in the public domain so that no one could be in any doubt as to what was said.
Whether we as Parishioners have a right to demand this course of action should be tested with the Council.
They have also agreed to fully Minute Parish Clerk`s statement on Monday saying why he had invited Barratts to form part of the Neighbourhood Plan Drafting Group.This should make interesting reading for AVL readers.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2012 :  11:12:48  Show Profile
THIS POSTING WAS A VIOLATION OF COPYRIGHT AND HAS BEEN DELETED AT THE REQUEST OF THE LITTLEHAMPTON GAZETTE.

HOWEVER, THE FULL ARTICLE IS AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO SEE IT ON THE GAZETTE'S WEBSITE AT THE FOLLOWING LINK:

http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/local/angmering-council-walks-a-housing-tightrope-1-3777917

ANGMERING VILLAGE LIFE OBJECTS TO ITS OWN MATERIAL BEING USED WITHOUT PERMISSION AND DOES NOT ACCEPT COPYRIGHT MATERIAL BEING USED ON ITS WEBSITE OR FORUMS WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE OWNER(S) OF THE MATERIAL. HOWEVER, LINKS TO OTHER SITES ARE PERMISSIBLE.

FORUM MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT, IN REGISTERING FOR THESE FORUMS, THEY SPECIFICALLY ACCEPT THAT THEY WILL NOT POST COPYRIGHT MATERIAL.

Neil - Forums' Moderator
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:38:58  Show Profile
Looks like Humber Growers/VHB are pressing ahead with development of their site south of the Rugby Club - see today's News page article.
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  11:20:04  Show Profile
Thank you Neil for bringing us this latest news of another possible housing development within our village. You state on the News section that the Parish Council are aware of these developments. Given that the Parish Council also has a News section, wouldn't this have been an opportunity to inform the parishoners (who they represent)instead of leaving the job to you? They sit on the fence,understandably, on an issue that is obviously of great concern to a large number of the parish,but just giving information without comment would have been better than no information.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  11:57:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by roosterbri

THIS POSTING WAS A VIOLATION OF COPYRIGHT AND HAS BEEN DELETED AT THE REQUEST OF THE LITTLEHAMPTON GAZETTE.

HOWEVER, THE FULL ARTICLE IS AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO SEE IT ON THE GAZETTE'S WEBSITE AT THE FOLLOWING LINK:

http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/local/angmering-council-walks-a-housing-tightrope-1-3777917

ANGMERING VILLAGE LIFE OBJECTS TO ITS OWN MATERIAL BEING USED WITHOUT PERMISSION AND DOES NOT ACCEPT COPYRIGHT MATERIAL BEING USED ON ITS WEBSITE OR FORUMS WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE OWNER(S) OF THE MATERIAL. HOWEVER, LINKS TO OTHER SITES ARE PERMISSIBLE.

FORUM MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT, IN REGISTERING FOR THESE FORUMS, THEY SPECIFICALLY ACCEPT THAT THEY WILL NOT POST COPYRIGHT MATERIAL.

Neil - Forums' Moderator

Oooops!!! Takes smack on back of head from Gibbs (NCIS)
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  12:14:41  Show Profile
Nigel, APC has probably only been aware of this new development themselves in the last couple of days and may not have had the opportunity of discussing it at any committee level yet. Therefore I would not expect them to post any comment on their website just yet. Whether they would do it anyway is, of course, another matter!

My source of information was not APC.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000