553 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  12:28:52  Show Profile
Excellent news for the village
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  17:14:44  Show Profile
Let's hope it really will be a Gastro Pub, then it really will compete successfully against The Spotted Cow which likes to think of itself in the same vein but really isn't. We don't have a true Gastro Pub nearby so it should do well. Only reservation - is there sufficient regular clientele for a pub of this nature in the village?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  17:55:52  Show Profile
The Spotted Cow draws in clients from far and wide - not just from Angmering. There is no reason in principle why The Lamb could not do the same in time, but obviously they would have to build up the business and it may take a while to match the number of diners enjoyed by the Cow.

By re-naming the inn "The Lamb at Angmering", the owners wish to ensure that it is not confused with the Lambs at Rustington or Durrington, and especially the former. This suggests that they will also be aiming their marketing outside Angmering as well as within. I doubt whether The Cow's or The Lamb's restaurants could remain viable on Angmering diners alone.

The term "Gastro Pub" is difficult to satisfactorily define. However, my understanding of the new venture is that the standard the new owners will be aiming for will meet most people's expectations for a restaurant of that genre. As a retired quality assurance manager, the one thing that really gives me hope is the owners' aim to achieve not only "good value high quality food" but equally important - "consistency".
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  21:45:43  Show Profile
Gastro Pubs may be difficult to define but they are certainly easy to recognise by virtue of the fact that they serve well presented and imaginative dishes. The Royal Oak at Lavant, The Star and Garter at East Dean, The Crab and Lobster at Sidlesham are all good examples. But, and it's a big but in these straitened times, they are not inexpensive. Good value is too often identified with overwhelming quantity.

If The Lamb can bring something a bit different and imaginative to bear then it certainly deserves to do well and I for one wish it every success. Just don't think we should use The Spotted Cow, The Fox and The World's End as role models.

Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  21:59:48  Show Profile
It is excellent news and I wish them every success.

Will hate to see it closed for so long, but think it will be more than worth it and hopefully it will still be winter when they re-open, so we will be able to snuggle up around their great fire.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  09:32:01  Show Profile
Lets hope not too many obstacles are put in their way by Planning Committees.

It has to be good for the village and of course the South of England is renowned for having lots of grey pounds to spend on good quality products.............lol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000