Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering General - Forum
 Angmering FC and ASRA - what has happened?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  09:53:23  Show Profile
What has happened to Angmering Football Club? It appears from the following forums that it has folded or about to fold after 101 years.

www.nomad-forum.co.uk/mb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10051&start=0
www.nomad-forum.co.uk/mb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10126&start=0

From these forum topics there seems to be much finger-pointing at ASRA (Angmering Sports & Recreation Association) who hire out the pitches to clubs like AFC and let them use their facilities - especially the bar. It seems that the WSFL demanded facility improvements over the Summer if Angmering FC were accepted into County League Div.3. Obviously this did not happen.

If AFC has indeed folded, what impact does it have on ASRA itself who have had financial problems over the years? They will not only be losing pitch hire fees but also money AFC members and families spend at the bar.

This is not just a potential problem for ASRA but also for us who pay the parish precept within our Council Tax. I think the ASRA building is owned or the responsibility of Angmering Parish Council who have an obligation for maintaining the facilities at Decoy Drive.

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  11:24:02  Show Profile
Yes Neil, this appears a very poor show for a village the size of Angmering, with its long excellent history of Angmering Football Club.

I'm sure someone who has a good grasp of what has happened will explain all, for us on this forum.

As I understand it, Angmering FC had a superb season 2010/11 ending just four months ago, by winning the West Sussex Premier League title, which allowed them to apply for entry up to Div 3 of the higher Sussex County League. This was however subject of certain improvements to facilities. It would appear these have not been authorised or met, and entry to Sussex County League has been refused.

Things appear to have got much worse, in that, many of the players have left the club due to the chaos, and gone to other clubs and who can blame them.

It would appear they had to re-register with the same, lower, West Sussex league as last season, instead of the promotion they deserved.

With the administrative chaos and many players leaving, it would appear the club have been unable to field a team at the start of the new season. It would appear the club has folded, which if correct is appalling and someone needs to explain all and correct any of my assumptions if they are incorrect.
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  12:19:40  Show Profile
Surely as posted on the forum first linked to, they could field a lower quality side, then drop down due to relegation, I know i'm new to the village, but a village needs its sports teams
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  15:01:42  Show Profile
I see that the APC agenda for the next full meeting on 12th September, contains the following items:-

Item 18. "Report from ASRA rep." (This is a routine item.)

and

Item 20. "To consider the request from ASRA for finance to enable the appointment of Architects to draw up initial plans for the proposed replacement changing rooms, clubhouse and community facilities."

This is an interesting item in the light of the above issue.

I am sure a very detailed report will be forthcoming at this APC meeting under items 18 and 20, in respect of ASRA, as to how the Angmering Football Club issue has occurred and the ASRA involvement and consequences, and how it relates to the specifics of item 20.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  15:36:04  Show Profile
Sounds a bit like horse/stable/door
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  19:15:32  Show Profile
The requirement to replace the existing building is not new, and based solely on the success of AFC. Plans/intentions to start the replacement procedure have been around for some time.

It is indeed sad if success has caused the demise of the team, but I'm sure they are not alone and many Youth teams have problems finding suitable venues for their matches, due to costs, location, and facilities. As teams climb the league ladder, then higher standards of both football and facilities are expected.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Average Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  22:11:26  Show Profile
Well said Paul. Plenty of other clubs use the facility and only recently a new junior football club have joined to use the facilities and along with the junior cricket club are using the facilities to the maximum capacity available. This must be good news for the village and also reassuring to anyone who feels that sport in the village is non existant. The need for some sort of new sports/community building remains and is something that the remaining clubs are committed to supporting.

When you look around other local villages they all have reasonable sporting facilities, why should Angmering be any different.

Its a shame that the football club has folded, as there was good potential and also it had the full support of the sports club in general for the club to progress.

Jim Hughes
Angmering Cricket Club
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  12:52:07  Show Profile
The above comments from Paul and Jim are perfectly reasonable.

However, they do not negate the responsibility upon Angmering Parish Council, in any way, to report fully, to the Full Council meeting, to be reflected in the minutes. This is due to the relationship of the Parish Council and ASRA, as indicated by Neil in the original comment.

The routine ASRA report, which appears on every Full Council agenda, must provide some form of explanation as to what has been happening.

Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  23:02:30  Show Profile
The report was part of the Agenda tonight Bert, and will show as an attachment with the minutes.

Hope that will keep things clear for everyone.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000