Angmering General - Forum
 Fishy Wishy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  20:36:40  Show Profile
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I am really feeling like going out to a fish focused restaurant but despite living so near to the sea, can only find fish & chips! I'm thinking oysters, lobster, whitebaite, not cod n chips - any suggestions please?

Mr Angry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  22:52:55  Show Profile
http://www.englishs.co.uk/

http://www.riddleandfinns.co.uk/

I've eaten at the second place - expensive but very very good - have not tried the first link but it's on my Fishy Wishy list!!

Both a short train ride, plus a short walk to build up the appetite - treat yourself to a taxi back - or just get the kids to take care of you both ways - they owe you; works for me!

Or - just cook it yourself - so many classic fish dishes are soooooooooo easy - there are quite a few very good fishmongers around - my fave is in Shoreham - near to B&Q - opposite side of the road - forget what it's called but you can't miss it - big pink prawn outside!

Here's a recipe to cook for your loved one on Valentine's day, if you can wait that long!

KARMA SOUPRA (!)

2 1/2 tbsp brown basmati rice
30g unsalted butter
100g echalion (banana) shallots, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 red chilli, seeded & thinly sliced
1 celery stick, thinly sliced
A few thyme sprigs, tied with string
175ml white wine
A pinch of saffron threads
1 litre fish stock
350g mussels, de-bearded
1/2 lemon, juice, to taste
2 tbsp roughly chopped flat leaf parsley

First, soak the rice in water for about an hour.

Gently heat the butter in a pan until it begins to sizzle, then toss in the shallots, garlic, chilli, celery and bundle of thyme sprigs. Put a lid on the pan, cook gently for about 10 mins, stirring occasionaly, don't let it brown.

Drain the rice & tip it in, making sure it gets a good coating of butter, then add the wine & saffron and cook until all the liquid has gone.. Pour on the fish stock and bring it to quite an 'aggressive simmer', uncovered, so it is reducing as the rice cooks.

After about 20 mins, once the grains are done, tip in the mussels (discard any that are damaged or do not close when sharply tapped)

Put the lid on and, holding on to the pan and the lid, give everything a swirl, firm but gentle.

Don't peek for about 3 mins, by which time the mussels should have opened.

Season and finish with the lemon juice. Serve in shallow bowls, scattered with the parsley.

Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Edited by - Mr Angry on 03 Feb 2009 23:24:39
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  10:22:58  Show Profile
Thanks for that comprehensive reply Mr A!

I am looking for a treat but will probably try your receipe sometime!

English's is OK, been a while since I ate there and have also been to Wheelers in Brighton but Riddle & Finns looks mighty inviting! Was hoping there may be somewhere more local, but will let you know if we try Riddles and Finns.

I know the wetb fish place you are talking about - only time I remembered to turn off, they were closed but absolutely must go there again. There is also a reasonable place on the industrial park in Littlehampton, up by Tesco and the guys on Worthing beach have some lovely fishies at good prices. They seem to risk life and limb to get them!
Go to Top of Page

John
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
499 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  13:17:30  Show Profile
There is a fish/seafood restaurant called "Bryce's" which is alongside the Chatsworth Hotel in Worthing.
I've never been there but have heard it's very good.
Go to Top of Page

Alyson

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  13:53:11  Show Profile
Don't know if it's still there or still as good but the oddly named "Seafood Experience" down on Shoreham beach is the absolute best seafood restaurant I have been to. Ever. They used to do a selection of seafood tapas which is really excellent but their other menu choices were always excellent to. Don't be deceived by the unpromising look of the place from the outside.

Alyson
Go to Top of Page

Alyson

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:58:38  Show Profile
Out of curiosity I had a trawl through the internet and found this ....http://www.restaurantspy.com/node/587 read the original review (2006) then the two updates at the bottom (both 2008)...pretty much sums up my feelings...best ever, ever!

Alyson
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  16:25:32  Show Profile
Wow, thanks folks. Had seen Bryces but not had any reports. Alyson, the Seafood Experience sounds great - one of those nook type places that's a local secret - we are definately going to give it a go. Thanks also for looking out those reviews too!
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  21:20:07  Show Profile
You should give the fish factory a go. Its good honest food, many many types of fish and Ive always found it great. Also its only in worthing. Have a look at the link:
http://www.protorestaurantgroup.com/the-fish-factory/contact.php

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  21:34:14  Show Profile
Thanks Jammer, looks like a good one for a family meal - reasonably priced I thought, and they have a kiddies menu. Couldn't see any oysters on the menu which I am hankering after! Even more so since looking at all these yummy menus!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  08:44:56  Show Profile
Everybody recommends the Fish Factory although we have not been there ourselves
Go to Top of Page

ruffage

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:05:07  Show Profile
Hmm I wouldn't go to the Fish Factory again. They messed our booking around. Okay so the table wasn't ready for the time we'd booked it for so we were asked to sit in the lounge bit for a short wait. Fair enough we thought.

20 minutes later and still no table, then four people came in without a booking and got seated immediately. Charming.

After I complained to the Kryten lookalike waiter we took our business to the Royal Jaipur a few doors along. Not fish but excellent food and service.
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  20:10:59  Show Profile
I once wrote 'The Squid Eaters Guide to Hertfordshire'. The way this topic is going, I may end up writing another useful but silly composition, of local fish eateries! Anyone interested in suggesting a title? Maybe the Oyster Searchers guide to Arun? We plan to try all your recommendations over the next few months so may as well share the experience!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  08:12:06  Show Profile
Plaices to eat?
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  17:56:03  Show Profile
Just an update - went to the fishmongers in Shoreham today - La Poissonnerie and successfully procured some fresh oysters and scallops, along with a few pieces of yummy looking fresh fish. They also have quite a good stock of frozen and preserved seafood. Impressively clean and professional, and apparently they have a lot more different fish in the summer - stands to reason I guess. Also stopped by the Seafood Experience in Shoreham Beach, sadly looks like they have closed down - signs in the windows saying "Sorry we have closed", which I assume is different to "Sorry we are closed". All the tables are in there all laid ready for service so maybe just a seasonal closing?
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  18:03:00  Show Profile
Oh yes, La Poissonnerie also had samphire - even though it is out of season, in my opinion the ideal accompaniment to fresh sea fishies yum yum yum! When it is in season (July & August), they do source it locally - good chaps!
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  21:58:15  Show Profile
Sorry .. going on a bit here ... but for anyone similarly seaford affected ..

Just have to tell you that the oysters I brought at La Poissonnerie in Shoreham today were amazing, truly big, fresh and tasty, totally yummy. OK, off to sizzle up the scallops now .....
Go to Top of Page

Mr Angry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  00:43:15  Show Profile
Is that La poissonnerie the place I was on about, with the big prawn outside?

Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  01:22:42  Show Profile
Indeed it is Mr A, am very happy to report that the scallops were equally wonderful! Happily I have washed it all down with suitably wonderful wine and have no idea why I am am fettering about typing this.

All hail the big prawn!
Go to Top of Page

John
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
499 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  20:03:23  Show Profile
The Lost Plot............
I've booked a table at Bryce's for this coming Wed evening (It's Mrs Johns birthday) so I will send you a report after the event.
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  20:23:33  Show Profile
Oooh yes, please do! Hope you, and Mrs John especially, have a lovely evening :-)
Go to Top of Page

John
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
499 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  11:59:48  Show Profile
Dined at Bryce's on Wed evening..... in a word.. Superb.
Food was excellent as was the service.
They have a small bar area with easy chairs for pre dinner drinks and the kitchens are "open plan" so you can see your food being cooked.
Our bill for 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 glasses of wine and coffee was £47. That was from the a la carte menu
However they currently have a promotion of 2 courses for £10 or 3 courses for £15 from a special menu. Choice of 4 dishes for each course.
No lobster or crab on the menu but the owner informed us that he can get these with one days notice.
All in all...highly recommended
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  07:38:39  Show Profile
Went to Food in Worthing last week, strange name for a restaurant - but excellent food and service. (owned by the same people at the Fish Factory).

Quite a bit of fish/shellfish on the menu, I had Octopus to start followed by belly pork with scallops - both courses cooked to perfection.
Well worth a visit and not too pricey.
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  12:32:33  Show Profile
I just wanted to say I agree with John's review of the 13th Feb on Bryce's seafood restaurant.6 of us went with my son on his birthday everything was superb, food , drink and service.it cost 174pd for the six of us that included 3 bottles of wine( 2 of them sparkling)5 starters, 6 mains and some desserts, liquers and coffees.if you go in the week they have specials which I can promise you we will be back to try.Lovely place for a special occasion and its thanks to John's good review that we booked there!!
Go to Top of Page

uskoks
Average Member

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  17:31:27  Show Profile
Just wanted to say that due to the reviews on here I & a friend went to Bryce's last night and had a wonderful time. The food was superb. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

uskoks
Go to Top of Page

John
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
499 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  18:14:47  Show Profile
In view of the last 2 postings I hereby apply to be appointed AVLs restaurant critic

Neil ????
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  19:24:28  Show Profile
AVL Restaurant Critic? John, you seem to have much experience of local eateries and readers back your judgement. You are therefore appointed to this role. However, don't expect to get paid for it!!!

What other roles can be assigned to our readers for their experience on a specific subject? Let's have some views and a bit of fun. Perhaps these could be posted to a new topic as we'll be getting away from the "Fishy Wishy" topic.
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  19:38:19  Show Profile
Congratulations John, perhaps you can get some free meals!!! I think a general restaurant/food recommendations page/topic/forum would be a great idea? Back on the Fishy Wishy subject - the fishmongers in the town centre behind Montague St, near the Sony shop is very good - tuna steak a particular recommendation and the butchers next door is pretty good too - especially their Lamb burgers which are huge (and don't shrink to nothing when cooked) and only £1.99 for four! Perhaps I could be shopping critic!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2010 :  23:36:54  Show Profile
There is a Fish Factory in Littlehampton now, where the Spotted Cow used to be - we've tried it and it was good but we weren't that adventurous - very nice place though - probably nice plaice too

We have also tried the Royal Fish & Grill on Pier Road - I'd rate that higher, but I'd rate the Riverside restaurant, Pier Road, higher than both - also higher than Bryces in Worthing if food itself is what's important and not surroundings.

We stumbled across the Riverside on our first attempt to try the Royal Fish & Grill, (which although was supposed to be open at 6 pm, wasn't - and with no explanation on the door) and were very impressed.

It's (The Riverside) a no-frills place - 'homely' - gingham tablecloths, pine furniture. No menus on the tables, just two chalkboards, one for fish and one for the rest, I thought that was a bad sign, but forget it - an example of 'the rest' - braised oxtail, don't see that often!

Anyway we went back on Thursday, Patty had a cheese omlette (bo-o-o-o-o-riimg) but Ramsay couldn't have faulted it and the chunky chips that came with it were to die for!

I had pan-fried hake with ('on' actually) sautéed spuds with a butter and tomato sauce and spinach - it was absolutely delicious and I mopped my plate with the posh chips that Patty couldn't finish.

Also quite nice to be able to park on the double yellows smack outside - they don't apply after 6pm Oct-Apr - and watch the sun set over the Arun.

Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2010 :  23:45:56  Show Profile
Wow, sounds great - love down-to-earth places! Thanks so much for posting all your info - trouble is, maybe next time it will be full now we all know about it :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000