Angmering Roads & Paths - Forum
 Traffic lights at station road roundabout
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  08:44:33  Show Profile
Just a straw poll really, but does anyone else think that the roundabout at station road has become sufficiently busy to justify traffic lights, much in the same way as the roundabout at Broadwater?

It has become a complete free for all in the mornings and sounds like a New York intersection with all the horns blaring.

Not only that but I have seen several near misses with cars and saw one unfortunate cyclist get knocked off there last year. I'm sure some order could make this a safer and more functional junction.

If there was a consensus then how would a community go about asking for said traffic lights.

Alternatively is the feeling that this should not happen?

Just interested in all of your views.

..//.//..//..//..

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  10:26:40  Show Profile
Peak time lights would be good.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  10:41:05  Show Profile
I think if motorists can't observe priorities then the only answer is traffic lights.
I would like to see them first at the Roundstone level crossing where motorists routinely ignore the Give Ways Signs and road markings.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  12:31:18  Show Profile
It's not a case of failing to observe priorities, just traffic management, it's very frustrating waiting to get on or across the 259 sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  14:41:31  Show Profile
ironic in a time when in america there is a trend for removing traffic lights in preference for european style roundabouts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13863498

there is always going to be an inevitable slowing of traffic when 2 lanes merge into one on a roundabout, i can't see how traffic lights could improve things, people just can't have the courtesy and common sense to drive properly and lights wont change that...

additionally, it's actually not that major an issue, there are places where i get stuck in traffic where i would much rather funds went, for example the a27 needs bypasses in various places, much more of a pain than the odd wait at the roundabout...

so my thinking is that it wouldn't be a great idea

Edited by - 240felicia on 22 Sep 2011 14:43:17
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  17:40:09  Show Profile
Frustration is something that you have to deal with driving.

If you don't have the right of way then you have to wait until you do.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  17:52:02  Show Profile
Like when a light goes green as per the Broadwater example and many more around the area that never got as bad as this one, sometimes the traffic is backed up to the second pinch point. Personally I just never go near the place at school times but sometimes it's almost as bad at other peak times, and as for the roundstone crossing, I never go near it full stop, it's a nightmare.
Go to Top of Page

DEGOO
Average Member

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  18:46:24  Show Profile
I avoid that roundabout at peak times if at all possible, and would avoid it even more if there were traffic lights. All roads are getting stupidly busy and all the new houses that the councils are agreeing too are only going to make things worse, so who knows what the answer is! With regards to the cyclist getting knocked off.... use the cycle path!! Drives me potty when I see them on Station Road and the A259 where the cycle paths were put in just for them, not that I don't have sympathy for the poor cyclist you understand!!
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  22:40:38  Show Profile
In case you are not aware, this is the whole purpose of the Community Led Plan that is currently being formulated by the PC.
It is for the residents of the Parish to have THEIR say in what they want and do not want.

Everyone is welcome to take part if you are from the Parish and it is concerning the Parish.

So.............if you feel you could make a difference,something where you actually will be able to put your ideas forward and they will be listened to, because it is you, the public who form the committees and chair the committees, do think seriously about getting involved.

This subject would come under the Roads, Transport and Parking section and their first meeting is on Monday 26th September in the Kings suite of the Village Hall at 7.30pm

It does not matter if you have not already signed up, or been to the initial meeting, you can still take part, everyone is welcome, just turn up on the night and see what you think.

You really can make a difference.

edited to add time.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies

Edited by - patty on 22 Sep 2011 22:42:02
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  23:14:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DEGOO

Drives me potty when I see them on Station Road and the A259 where the cycle paths were put in just for them, not that I don't have sympathy for the poor cyclist you understand!!

Phsyco-paths are fine for potterers, but serious sport cyclists use the roads ... along with many potterers of course!

I came home via this roundabout tonight and coming down station road there was a cyclist on the road, on the wrong side of it and with no lights. Still, I see worse car driving habits all the time.

Anyway, as I was negotiating the roundabout I realised that lights would be a no-goer, it's just not big enough. Roundabouts with lights, be they part or full time, have lights on the roundabout as well as at the approaches; there's just not enough space between junctions for vehicles waiting on red at lights on the roundabout.

Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  06:09:21  Show Profile
Possibly the alternative option is that which has been discussed on here before: "Dualling the 259 through the Angmering section"
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  07:27:49  Show Profile
Degoo, you have prompted another issue I have with this particular piece of road.. cycle paths. Sorry guys dont mean to rant but it seems apt.
What is it with the cycle paths round here. From worthing you can cycle pretty much all the way to Shoreham on a cycle path. Round here we have little snatches of 100 / 200m what is that all about. In the case of the cycle path on station road, what a joke... If you are coming home from the station (Following the rules of the road of course) You either have to push your bike all the way along the pavement near where the garage used to be, and then cross the bridge for the privilege of a couple of hundred meters of cyclepath, at the end of which you are forced to cross the road at the busiest pinch point to re-join the road.

Failing that you could ride along the road to the roundabout, mount the curb, cross there and repeat from the bridge onwards.

Of course if you want to add 2 miles onto your journey you could ride up to sainsburies, cross there and cycle through the ever so people friendly ham manor!!!

Cycle paths. dont make me laugh.

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  08:32:29  Show Profile
There are ""friendly people"" on Ham Manor???????!!!!!!lol
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  08:58:22  Show Profile
quote:
There are ""friendly people"" on Ham Manor???????!!!!!!lol

That was only a tongue in cheek comment really, no offence intended to Ham Manor residents, however I have seem them manually guarding the roads before :-)

[edited as I hit post before I was finished, and then to correct a typo]

..//.//..//..//..

Edited by - jammer on 23 Sep 2011 09:00:15
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  23:01:40  Show Profile
I think they "guard the roads" as East Drive is private and all maintainance costs are met by the people that live there. It is not a public road. It used to be a handy short cut to the Angmering School! There are similar roads on the Sea Lane Esate.
Go to Top of Page

Coastal Fire Systems

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  14:32:09  Show Profile
Just to add my bit here. The traffic calming measures that are in place through the village. Help or Hinderance?? My business is based in Dappers Lane and it is pretty much 'run the gauntlet' at any time of the day through these calming measures.
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  08:42:22  Show Profile
Definite and absolute hindrance IMO.
They are dangerous, poorly placed, and cause drivers to be reckless towards other cars and cyclist with the right of way. They were put in I think to try and coerce people to use the bypass. That hasn't happened as the same amount of traffic seems to come through the village now, just incredibly more dangerously. As none of the many accidents that have happened at these points have been fatal, they do not get added to the stats, therefore they did not happen. IMO it is the single most catastrophic FAIL ever implemented into Angmering. Staion road is now a far more dangerous place to be than ever.

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

Pansy

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  15:11:13  Show Profile
They are an absolute menace and do not slow the traffic down. I totally agree with the above comment. I fear they are here to stay though!
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  21:23:01  Show Profile
The entire traffic situation in Angmering is farsical. The pinch points are dangerous and counter-productive, as are the zig-zag lines taking up the safest parking spaces at schools.

How does it make any sense at all for the speed limit to INCREASE as motorists approach a primary school!?
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  10:57:47  Show Profile
Can anybody advise if there has been a change at the roundabout?? I notice the cross hatching from the village side has been worn away and not redone. Is it intentional that it has not been redone????

Because as sure as heck the people from the west block the way across whereas before they generally took notice of the hatching.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000