PRINCIPAL INHABITANTS 1841 Census
With additional notes from the 1845 Kelly's Directory
RW Standing 2004
This summary, with respect to occupations, is based upon Heads of Households only.
Where possible Tithe Numbers from the c1840 tithe map are quoted [T...] to locate the house, although in many instances the original buildings have been demolished or rebuilt extensively.
Most of the house locations may be found in the maps associated with the c1840 Houses List.
The principal residences, that can be found in the 1841 census, include old houses that had descended in the world. Principal of these was New Place north of the Decoy Ponds, once the grand mansion of the Palmer family but reduced to farm cottages by the 19th century, with five families in occupation [T182].
This great extent, including Barpham and Angmering Park, has always been a mix of downland pasture, arable, woods, and scattered hamlets. Lower Barpham [T20] appears to have been occupied only by a farm labourer in 1841, but William Wyatt at Michelgrove, outside the parish, no doubt managed the farm as indicated by the tithe apportionment and 1845 Directory. Neighbouring Upper Barpham [T18H] was occupied by its farmer Charles Hersee. South of that, in an enclave of Rustington parish, Park Farm house [T220R] was tenanted by the elderly George Olliver.
In the area of scattered hamlets north of what is now the A27, there were several small farms or outlying parts of farms, as at Priors Lease [T115] but at this time it was occupied by a labourer Charles Mills. Such was the case elsewhere with labourers mostly, and a few 'keepers', no doubt gamekeepers.
The area was served by one genuine public house
the Fox Inn [T193] and host William Hoad. Otherwise the Leather Bottle at
Priors Leas[T109] with Edward Hoad, and a cottage at Hammer Pot occupied by
Richard Green [T100] may well have been beer shops.
The Farming Interest
At that time Angmering was still replete with farm holdings great and small, all of them with long histories. The large farms comprised Upper Ecclesden [T300] on the slopes of Highdown, occupied by William Miles in succession to others of his family. Adjoining Ecclesden Manor had the elderly James Grant living at the mansion [T309] with the land no doubt farmed by the younger George Grant of the Old House in The Street [T429]. Avenals [T266] on the east of the village, long in the hands of the Penfold family, was now represented by James. The Pound House farm [T339] south of the village, belonged to the Olliver family with Mrs Ann in residence, but was probably farmed from Kingston.
Over in the west of the parish there were three large holdings. Ham Manor [T68H] with the last representative of an ancient family in residence, William GK Gratwicke, mainly interested in horse racing as is well known. In what is today Rectory Lane, Church Farm [T395] with John W Heasman its tenant, and nearby Old Place [T451] and Thomas Amoore, were the other two great farms.
Another estate of note is hidden away in the census. George Cortis of Church House [T387] had recently died, and his substantial holding would soon be sold. John Cortis at London House or Rosary [T408] was the only member of the family remaining in the village.
All other land holdings in the village were modest, and must have provided tenuous livings at that time. At the Decoy [T164} William Boniface had only a few acres, although he may have been in charge of the decoy as well. Pigeon House [T356] in The Street, with its scattering of fields, was held by Thomas Standen or Standing. Further west in The Street at Yew Trees [T370] Nathaniel Sayers still held on to his acres. Lastly, in the extreme south of the parish, another ancient farm survived at Hangleton by Ferring [T322] occupied by Charles Mills, and at Roundstone [T544] a smallholding belonging to John Bennett.
Only two millers are mentioned in the census. Henry Grant at the Malt House [T353] miller and malster, presumably working the Ecclesden mill belonging to the family. The other was James Carter at Garden House [T421] and since this was owned by Cortis together with the nearby mill, presumably it was "Lucks" mill he worked.
If the gentry of the village may be defined as those with no specified means of support who employed servants, then besides those such as Gratwicke of Ham Manor and John Cortis at the Rosary, already mentioned, there were at least five others, with all but one centred about Rectory Lane. The exception, not unnaturally, was James Grant who was living at the house at the east end of the Street [T345] that would later become the Spotted Cow Inn. The others were Lucy French of Elmhurst [T390] Susannah Laud and Ann Dyer at White Lodge [T392] and, for the old village family Amoore, Sarah at Watertone House [T391] and Mary Amoore of Aberdeen House [T389]
Several others, such as Rose Olliver at Bennington House [T427] may well have been in that gentlefolk category, but without living-in servants.
Of men of the cloth, Angmering had but one at that time, the Rector John Usborne at what is now Syon House [T422] but shortly to be Henry Reeks.
The only presently known school in the village was Older's, today the public library. In point of fact the old school house at that date was sited abutting Church Road [T385] and here lived Henry Ragless the master, before his retirement to Ann's Cottage. He evidently had an assistant teacher, for Jane Fowler is described as a school mistress, living in Arundel Road at an unidentified house.
Apart from the Fox already mentioned, and the Spotted Cow yet to be built, just two public houses existed in the village close by to each other in the Square. The Lamb Inn [T380] hosted by Zebedee Peskett, but shortly by Charles Parlett, and the Red Lion [T410] where Thomas Miles officiated, soon to be John Nye. There was one other establishment in the High Street, at Rose Cottage [T368] but this was a mere beer shop kept by Sarah Miles. According to some anecdotes the Rose and Crown cottages across the road had been some kind of hostelry or beer shop, but nothing in the census suggests this.
Besides the basic agricultural work of most cottagers, shepherds, and woodsmen, a miscellany of trades were required in a 19th century village of any size. Amongst those listed for householders, was that of carpenter, bonnet maker, tailor, sawyer, bricklayer, sailor, fisherman, thatcher, gardener, painter, journeyman miller, and several shoemakers. Also an excise officer at Ann's Cottage [T406].
Of those described humbly as bricklayers one or two would later become builders, if they were not so already, such as William Linfield at Littleworth [T347]. Cortis Monk of Weavers Cottage [T261] was a baker, but whether his bakery was at this house is uncertain. George Smith at the house attached to the Red Lion [T411] also had a baker's business. Richard Amoore, the butcher, lived at Ivy Cottage [T420] but it may be suspected he had a shop and slaughterhouse elsewhere, perhaps at Aberdeen House. Henry Baker at Conyers [T383] had a grocer's shop but not in the house itself. Another grocery and baker's shop could be found at Commerce House [T367] but no modern shopfront should be imagined for these cottage concerns. A similar comment may be made about Winchester House [T413] and draper John Pearson.
Blacksmiths shops and wheelwrights needed
substantial workshops. Amongst these was the blacksmith's attached to Blaber
Cottage owned by Elizabeth Hills [T382]. Other workshops were to be found
attached to the cottages south of the church, [T176, 177] a blacksmith's and a
wheelwright's, but these were in a peculiar enclave of Poling parish and their
occupants were not named in the Angmering census.
RW Standing, 2004