1899 Kelly's Directory
Angmering is a parish and village, with a station a mile south from the village on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, 58 miles from London, 5 west from Worthing, 4 north-east from Littlehampton and 5 south-east from Arundel, in the South-Western division of the county, Poling hundred, Arundel rape, petty sessional division and county court district, East Preston incorporation, rural deanery of Storrington (fourth division), and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester.
The church of St. Peter (sic) at East Angmering, is now represented only by a few broken masses of stone. The church of St. Margaret, West Angmering, rebuilt in 1852, with the exception of the ancient tower, is of flint and stone in the Early English style, and has a tower containing a clock and 6 bells; the windows are stained, and there are 400 sitiings, 150 being free. The registers begin in the year 1562. The living of East Angmering rectory, with West Angmering vicarage annexed, average tithe rent-charge £231, joint net yearly value £225, with residence and 38 acres of glebe, is in the gift of Mrs Alfred Somerset, of Castle Goring, and held since 1866 by the Rev. Jas. Bond Orme MA of Brasenose College, Oxford.
The Catholic church, dedicated to St. Wilfred and built in 1872, is served from Arundel. There is also a Baptist chapel.
New Place, the residence of the Palmers from the time of Henry VIII, has been converted into labourers' cottages, but the mullioned windows remain, and a peculiar arrangement of relieving arches is noticeable.
Ham Manor, the seat of Col. Sir Henry Fletcher bart. MP DL JP VD is a mansion of stucco surrounded by fine old elm trees and rich park-like scenery.
The chief landed proprietors are the Duke of Norfolk EM KG, Mrs Alfred Somerset of Castle Goring (who is lady of the manor), Sir Henry Fletcher bart., Reginald Augustus Warren esq. and Gen. Sir A Lyon Freemantle GCMG.
The soil is various; subsoil, brick earth and various. The chief crops are wheat and oats.
The area is 4,546 acres of land and 11 of water, rateable value £5,951, the population in 1891 was 1,014 in the civil and 990 in the ecclesiastical parish. By the Divided Parishes Act portions of the parishes of East Preston, Rustington, and Poling have been annexed to this parish.
Sexton, Edward Parsons.
Post [etc] Richard Winchester, sub-postmaster. [deliveries 3 a day 1 on Sunday]
Post [etc] Railway station, Walter James Judges, sub-postmaster [3 deliveries] to Angmering, East Preston and Rustington.
Free, founded and endowed by the will of William Older, of Angmering, in 1682; it has an income of £120 yearly arising from a house and 32a 3r 27p of land; the school buildings were re-erected and a house for the master, built in 1853, from designs by SS Teulon esq. of London and at the sole expense of WK Gratwicke esq. of Ham Manor, for 140 children, average attendance, 102; Alfred Child, master, Miss Annie Mildred Cooke, Miss Edith Louisa Holley and Miss Fanny Child, assistants.
Infant, built in 1883 for 65 children, average attendance, 40; Miss Edith Tryor, mistress.
Catholic (mixed), built in 1872, for 90 children, average attendance, 30; Miss Maloney and Miss Lettitia Price, mistress.
Railway Station, Walter James Judges station master.
Amoore George The Laurels
Brennan Miss East End house
Brookman Charles Edward Lime cot
Brookman William The Limes
Child Alfred School house
Crunden Mrs Pound house
Duke Charles George SC Church Farm house
Fletcher Col Sir Henry [etc] Ham manor
Heasman John Elliott JP Ecclesden manor
McGregor Miss Kinnoull cottage
Orme Rev James Bond MA Rectory
Parnell Wiliam Malt house
Stoner Charles Elmhurst
Tompkins Mrs Old Place farm
Tompkins John N Old Place farm
Best Rose Mrs confectioner
Boore George carpenter
Cheesman Charles Red Lion PH
Cheesman Walter greengrocer
Clark S Vernon nurseryman
Doig Harriet E Mrs grocer
Duke Charles George SC farmer - Lee farm
Harris Edwin wheelwright and plumber
Heasman John Elliott JP farmer - Ecclesden manor
Hodges Frank grocer and draper and spirits
Horton Jesse shoe maker
Jupp Alfred farmer
Jarrett Thomas builder, contractor, artesian well engineer and undertaker
Judges Walter James sub-postmaster and station master
Langley William shopkeeper
Lee Hugh Spotted Cow PH
Linfield William builder
Luck Frederick miller - wind and steam
Mason John farmer - Angmering park
Miles Edwin farmer - Ecclesden farm
Miles George farmer
Payne Luke poultry dealer
Peskett George T ironmonger
Pocock Stephen Henry agent to Prudential Assurance Co
Phillips Henry saddler
Pyle Samuel S farmer - Avenals farm
Robins Alfred town missionary
Standing Thomas farmer
Terry James butcher
Thair William beer retailer
Todman Brothers butchers
Tompkins Jn N farmer - Old Place farm
Turner Charles blacksmith
Wapling Henry baker
Warr William fly proprietor and job master
Webber Frederick farm bailiff to Sir Henry Fletcher - Ham dairy
Wilkinson Thomas Lamb inn
Winchester Rd shopkeeper Post office