Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering General - Forum
 Building Development in Angmering (Part 1)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 11

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  10:04:38  Show Profile
derekdainton.....If you re-read the full article in the L'tn Gazette which you yourself highlighted under the recent SAV forum newsletter, you will see the situation is as follows:-

Cllr. Cooper was at this meeting purely as an observer, not in any way to take part in discussions, as was the APC Clerk.

The meeting was to ascertain what various developers/parties are trying to achieve.

The meeting was for all the developers to sit round the table and put together a "masterplan" so ADC and the public, would have some idea of a co-ordinated plan.

The main thrust of the article by L'ton Gazette was that Cllr. Cooper was surprised at the lack of consensus, organisation and co-ordination between the various developers as to house building and infrastructure.

The article went on to say, "In his election campaign material and since gaining his seat on Arun DC, Cllr. Cooper has insisted he was against unsustainable development in the village. HOWEVER, IF, hundreds of homes were ultimately approved, he pointed out that a co-ordinated approach would be better than uncontrolled development, offering little or nothing to benefit Angmering."

"To have a joined-up development would be better for the people of Angmering in the long run. The infrastructure needs of the village, whether a new primary school or sports facilities, should be paramount IF that is going to go ahead. It has to be right for the people and right for the village."

I do not have to justify my position, it is you who are making the allegation, that he has "shifted"/changed his view, (and others have followed you,) and you have failed to do so. I am however, perfectly happy, to explain my view.

There is nothing whatsoever in the article which states or even suggests he has "shifted" his view. In fact it states his view is the same "since gaining his seat," and I have no reason whatsoever to disbelieve that.

My reading of the article is clear that he continues to oppose the large scale development, and having attended this meeting of the developers, having been spoken to by the L'ton Gaz. his main points were that:-

he was surprised at the total lack of organisation and co-ordination within the developers, .....and

that IF developments are approved by ADC, then he pointed out that a co-ordinated and organised approach by the developers and planners, would be far better than an unco-ordinated and disorganised approach by the developers and planners.

Where is there in any of that, that would indicate he has "shifted" his view?

He appears to me to be totally realistic, suggesting that IF further development is to take place, it be done in a co-ordinated and organised manner.

This is an important subject for Angmering residents. It does no good whatsoever to our cause and that of SAV, of stopping, or keeping development to a minimum,for anyone to throw around, on a public forum, such comments that are inaccurate.

These type of unjustifiable comments do no good for the credibility of our fight against large scale development, and apologies should be made by the individuals concerned.

I do not speak for Cllr. Cooper, I have only met him once when he called at our door, when canvassing earlier this year. These are my views alone.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  16:36:22  Show Profile
Thank you for your exhaustive response. I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree.

Of course I read the whole article. You will see it was I who pasted the complete link under the SAV banner.

If you have attended any of the ADC meetings, which I presume because
of your keen interest in this issue, you will have done, you would have noticed how unforthcoming any of our Councillors have been in speaking up against development. In fact, it was particularly noticed at one recent meeting that Councillor Cooper left early on in the debate, unlike the willingness of those of us who did attend and who sat through until the bitter end.

I still maintain that his proclaimed stance whilst canvassing for votes has shifted. But whether it has or not, it is the apparent absence of speaking out that many will find strange. Even stranger that a Councillor should be muzzled at the recent 'cosy' meeting by attending purely in the role of observer. Raises the question again "Who is running Arun, the elected representatives or the Planners?".

Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  20:03:53  Show Profile
Indeed, we will have to disagree as to how to progress the fight against the developers.

You clearly do not appreciate the terms of reference of the meeting to which we refer.

Comments such as being "muzzled" indicate a complete misunderstanding by you, of the purpose of the meeting.

I am surprised that you and others feel the best way forward in this fight for our village, is to attack the people who support your and my view on the subject of future development. You have no evidence of any change of stance, in opposition to the developers, by Cllr. Cooper.

If you think the best way to support our District Councillors and for them to support us, in this fight against the developers, is to attack their position, and for Robinf to state..."Everybody has their price," .....then you and the SAV group will see and hear nothing further from me on this subject.

I wish you the very best of luck with your strategy.
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  23:12:41  Show Profile
Calm down everyone.
At least Cllr,Cooper attended the meeting which is more than any other person elected by us did, if only as an observer.
Go to Top of Page

seagull
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  23:51:13  Show Profile
I have to agree with Bert here and also agree with Nigel that we should calm down somewhat.
Councillor Cooper has not changed his views on unsustainable developments, as far as I can see, but has taken a realistic view that it would be better, IF we have to have large scale developments east of Roundstone Lane, then it would be to have a joined up development and get as much from the developers as possible. At least he attended the meeting as an observer. The other two district councillors for Angmering decided not to, even though they are not involved in the planning process!
Although the Parish Council have objected to the three planning applications, I suspect they are also in a position of wondering whether to get the best deal they can from the developers, as the Arun planning officers seem determined to concrete over Angmering. They should be representing the majority view however!
I am completely against this un-needed, unwanted, and unsustainable development and we must tell our councillors, in no uncertain terms, that we will not stand for it. If they don't listen then we must ensure that they are all voted out in the District elections next year. UKIP seem the only current party that has any common sense these days and is prepared to represent what the ordinary voter wants.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  07:33:53  Show Profile
I should point out that any views or opinions I have expressed though these exchanges are my own and have nothing to do with SAV strategy.
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  20:17:53  Show Profile
I’ve always considered this forum a place where people of this village and others can express their views on how they see things happening with the various proposed development plans. Long may these views continue to flow.

These views are, by default, personal and have no relationship or bearing on whatever strategies action groups like SAV, VAG and others have in countering these plans. These actions groups all have their own strategies which naturally they will want to keep close to their chests but hopefully are working together for the common good. These organisations also have their own means of communicating their views and messages to the general public.

I fully support SAV in it’s efforts to protect this village from ADC and the planners steam rolling their visions and plans through without due consideration for the actual needs or views of the community and it's surrounds.

Like Chuckle Brother, I too think Cllr Cooper’s remarks do have a ring of defeatism about them as I am sure many others have thought too. However, I agree with Bert, his comments don’t necessarily say his stance has shifted but perhaps he has more likely ‘softened his stance’ and this after possibly some political horse trading down at the town hall. So any reference to ‘everybody has their price’, for the avoidance of doubt, to use a well-worn cliché, did not come with fiscal conations as some people might have thought but with good old fashion political ones. Such is the nature of politics at whatever level.

Heavens above, it’ll be a sad day when the general public has to include a disclaimer with any comment they make on a blog/forum.

SAV and other action groups, keep up the brilliant work. It’s a good job some people are prepared to give up their own time because they are passionate about how the future of the village is molded.

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  09:16:08  Show Profile
This has been such an emotive topic that it has generated over 400 responses, over 38000 viewings and has spread over 11 pages.

As this has got a bit unwieldy, I'm closing the topic while there is a bit of a lull, but opening a new "Part 2".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000