Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  15:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several times recently, I've been asked whether I could put up some new photos on the website.

Today I've uploaded two new photos - Elmgrove Cottage in the Square and one of the Decoy Ponds. These can be found through the "Photos of Village" link in the left-hand navigation bar or directly at http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/gallery_present.htm. Hope you enjoy them.

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  19:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful pics, Neil!! Thanks for showing us outsiders just how lovely Angmering is!
Go to Top of Page

Jodie

30 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  22:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aren't we lucky to live somewhere so lovely!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  12:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four new electronic cards are now available on the "Send a Village Card" page (see left-hand Navigation Bar). These cards are:
  • Elmgrove Cottages
  • Decoy Ponds
  • Stubbs Hill (High Street)
  • The Lamb Inn
Regarding the Decoy Ponds, readers might be interested to know that AA Milne and his family stayed the Summer at Decoy Cottage early in the 20th Century. His son CR Milne (Christopher Robin) confirmed that on the Ponds (lakes) was a friendly swan which the Milne's christened "Pooh". That name was later used for Christopher Robin's teddy bear "Winnie the Pooh" in AA Milne's children's stories.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  15:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've uploaded two further new photos today - The Square in Spring. These can be found through the "Photos of Village" link in the left-hand navigation bar or directly at http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/gallery_present.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  12:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Policing Report for Angmering for March 2007 added to Policing page (see navigation bar on left of screen)
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  14:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A map of Angmering Conservation Area is available from the Maps page (see navigation bar on left of screen).

You can click on tabs and links to see buildings and other features in the village with a little bit of information on each of them plus a small photo in some cases. This map sits on the new Google Maps site - a really good facility that others may like to use.

Hope you enjoy this map as much as I did preparing it!
Go to Top of Page

macca
Advanced Member

320 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  19:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FAB on lots of levels Neil, many thanks!
My young daughter has lots learning and concentration problems, she also has obessions,one of her obessions is maps! I can usually be seen dragging her away from the map of Angmering in the village square, thanks parish council!

Well for a child that finds it very difficult to focus and concentrate (and to sit still!) we have sat for ages this afternoon looking at the maps and photographs, made even special by the fact she could recognize the places in question, by our walks out and about.

Brilliant!

"Humans debating theology is like ants debating computers" Moby
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  19:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PCSO Andrea Oakley has reported on the first (Police) Community Forum. This can be found on the Policing page (see navigation bar on left of screen).

I believe in responsible free speech. I do not necessarity agree with every statement made in these Forums and do not expect everybody to agree with me
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2007 :  09:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now for something completely different!

An interactive crossword puzzle specifically about Angmering people, places and history has been added to the website. Some clues are local knowledge based, some are anagrams, and some are slightly cryptic. The link to this crossword can be found under Articles (see navigation bar on left-hand side of screen). Alternatively, click on this direct link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/articles/Crossword1.html

If you want a non-interactive version that you can print off and work on off-line click on the following link. You will be able to get answers from the interactive version if required.

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/articles/Crossword1_a.html

Other crosswords could be added if readers like these. You can also let me have your own Angmering clues and answers and I will design them into a crossword for this site (giving you credit, of course).

Enjoy!

I believe in responsible free speech. I do not necessarity agree with every statement made in these Forums and do not expect everybody to agree with me
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  14:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two new articles have today been added to the History Centre pages and can be found under the "People, General Resources" sub-index. These articles are:

Wealth & Poverty in Angmering (C16 to C19) - a substantial article by RW Standing in which he challenges some of the claims made by village historian, Edwin Harris (1866-1942), as to the cause of poverty in Angmering in that period. Contains information on farms and families who owned or worked them, and provides a fascinating insight into the effects of land enclosure and why areas of the parish de-populated).

Land Enclosure and its effects - an article by NA Rogers-Davis which explains land enclosure (or inclosure) and which complements Mr Standing's article

Go to Top of Page

macca
Advanced Member

320 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  14:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! Very much look forward to reading them

"Humans debating theology is like ants debating computers" Moby
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  17:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also added today are some more Reminiscences of Old Angmering. The latest are those of Joy Luck (1912-2002). These can be found on the Articles page (see navigation bar on the left of your screen) and under the sub-heading "Angmering Specific".

I know some of you enjoy these old Angmering memories.

Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  00:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am I doing something wrong Neil??
Have tried for the last couple of days but cannot find your new article by Joy Luck.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  09:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patty, presumably you can see the page with the other two earlier reminiscences. If so, you should be able to see the latest one containing Joy Luck's memories. If you can't, while on that page, try pressing your "refresh" button. Maybe the page is held in a cache and you can only see the information on the page from a time when you previously it.

Just to be sure, can anybody else see Joy Luck's memories?

The direct link to the page (without going through navigation bar) is http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/articles/a_angspecific.htm

Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  14:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found it no problem, Neil. I also sent the page to Patty, so between us, I'm sure she should have it now!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  16:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lulu. I spoke to Patty this morning. Hubby could see it on his PC but she couldn't for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

Mr Angry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  00:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lulu

I also sent the page to Patty, so between us, I'm sure she should have it now!

You can't send a page of this website to anyone Lulu, not unless you cut and paste it - the URL link does not change within the site. Click on anything to the left and you'll see nothing different in your browser.

If I wanted to send someone this topic, or the village photos, or anything, the link would be the same - all you'd get is the homepage.

Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
Go to Top of Page

Mr Angry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  01:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anything be done about that Neil?

Have often wanted to send topics (etc) to others, but have always had to add instructions, such as "Go to forums, then continue, then Angmering general, then...................

Bit of a pain!

Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  02:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mr. Angry. I didn't realise that. I guess Patty was wondering what was going on. LOL [88]
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  08:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Angry wrote:
quote:
You can't send a page of this website to anyone Lulu, not unless you cut and paste it - the URL link does not change within the site. Click on anything to the left and you'll see nothing different in your browser.

If I wanted to send someone this topic, or the village photos, or anything, the link would be the same - all you'd get is the homepage.

Not sure if I fully understand your problem, Mr A. You should be able to identify the URL address of any specific page of this website, and any specific topic from these Forums, and send that URL to anybody.

While I agree that the URL of AVL's home page in the top address bar of your browser does not change, no matter which navigation link you click on, if you let your cursor "hover" over any link, you should be able to see the full address of that specific link on the left of the bottom bar of your browser. You will not be able to cut and paste it, but you can physically write it down. As an example, hovering over this topic "What's New on the Website" will provide the specific URL:

http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=402

If you can't see the address in the bottom bar for any reason, you can hover over the desired link, right mouse click, and then select "Properties" which will also show you the URL address. Using this method, you can actually copy and paste the address.

Does this help?
Go to Top of Page

Mr Angry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  12:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah - yes it does!

Thanks for that, I've learnt something else about this box! Dinosaur that I am.

I Only ever look(ed) at the top browser!

Go to Top of Page

Lulu
Advanced Member

337 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  16:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found it, too Neil. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  19:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting new illustrated article by RW Standing has been added to the History Centre pages. This article relates to the structural changes made to St Margaret's Church between c1450 and the great Teulon/Gratwicke rebuilding in 1853.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  10:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God's Acre, Church Litten, or Churchyard, but never cemetery. That is how the burial grounds surrounding our ancient parish churches were known and for nearly a thousand years.

In a new article, uploaded today, Richard Standing plots the expansion of St Margaret's Churchyard, Angmering. The article can be found in AVL's History Centre pages (see navigation bar on left), or directly by clicking on the following link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/Articles/Churchyard.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  16:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new article, uploaded today, provides details of the stained glass windows in St Margaret's Church, Angmering, photos of a number of them, and details of their makers. The article can be found in AVL's History Centre pages (see navigation bar on left), or directly by clicking on the following link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/Articles/Church_Windows.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  13:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some new church articles, written by Richard Standing, have been uploaded to the website history pages recently. These include a substantial re-write of his article on the changes in St Margaret's between the 15th and 19th centuries.

Additionally, there are new articles on the bells & bell ringers, tower clock, organs, and pew owners in 1850.

All of these articles include photos and/or diagrams, and can be found in the history centre's Building & Structures sub-index, the direct link of which is:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/hist_indx_buildgs.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  12:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a full breakdown of the 2001 Census for Angmering (ages, religion, house ownership, economically active, etc) recently from the Office for National Statistics (ONS). This is quite interesting if you like this sort of thing. The link to the Angmering statistics page is the ridiculously long link (and distorts all the page settings on the Forums!), but you can find a new link to the Angmering statistics on the AVL Population page at:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/population.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  17:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new resource has today been added to the History Centre on this website - i.e. Businesses and Organisations in Angmering in 1962 - extracted from Kelly's Directory for that year. The page can be found through the Resources sub-category index in the "History Centre" or by clicking on the following direct link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/1962.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  14:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now for something completely different!

An Angmering Photo Quiz has been uploaded today - just for fun and no prizes, I'm afraid. You can find it by going through the Articles index (see navigation bar on the left) or by clicking on the following link:

http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/articles/a_photoquiz.htm

Hope you enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  10:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several readers have said they have enjoyed the Reminiscences of Old Angmering so it's about time I published another one. Memories of the village c1920 by the late Peter Newman can be found in "Articles" - Angmering Specific" (see left side navigation bar) or by clicking on the following direct link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/articles/a_angspecific.htm

There is also an interesting new article this month by Richard Standing about villagers in 1785 who forcibly had to pay increased church rates to pay for new church bells! This article can be found in the "History Centre" pages, but the direct link is:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/Articles/Church_Bells_courtcase.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  16:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sir Hubert Parry lived in Rustington in his later life but was very much aware of Angmering. Read more about Parry and play the hymn tune "Angmering" or print the music score from our new Music page (under "Articles"). Alternatively go direct to the page by clicking on the folowing link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/articles/a_music3.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new article on the history of education and schools in Angmering has been added to the History Centre website. This page cancels and supersedes the old page on Older's Charity School. The direct link to the new page can be found at:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/schools.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  15:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt everyone in the parish has now received their Angmering Parish News for November together with a leaflet asking people to vote for the the PC's £80,000 lottery bid which will be shown on the ITV Meridian News at 6.PM on Wednesday 28 November. To support this, a Lottery Bid page was added to this website which tells people more about the project and shows a number of photos of ITV's filming in Angmering last week. Also included is a short clip of ITV's Gareth Evans interviewing Cllr Nigel Nunn, chairman of the PC, and children at The Angmering School responding very enthusiastically to Nigel's call to vote for the Angmering project!

The direct link to this page is:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/lotterybid.htm
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  14:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of Angmering’s most intriguing residents in the 20th century was Major Francis John Angus Skeet. Skeet lived at Syon House in the High Street for 22 years and wrote Angmering’s one and only dedicated history book.

In addition to being a historian, a soldier, and a devout Catholic, Skeet was a Jacobite who wished for the restoration of the Stuart monarchy in Britain and promoted that cause. But did he have even more secrets in his family closet?

You can read about the life of Skeet in a new article on this website by selecting the appropriate link in the Local History Centre (People) or the Articles page, or by clicking on the following direct link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/Articles/Skeet.htm

Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  19:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FASCINATING. Thanks for that Neil

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

Pansy

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  22:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've done an incredible amount of research on this man which makes for very interesting reading. All your efforts here and with the website are hugely appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  13:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the years, there has been a lot of nonsense written about the age of The Lamb. In a new article entitled "When the Lamb became a Lion!, Richard Standing unravels the histories of The Lamb and the old Red Lion which was located where Woodies and the Parish Council Office are sited today. You can read this article at:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/Articles/LambLion.htm

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  12:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Recreaction Facilities page on this website has now been expanded and its name changed to "What to do and see in and around Angmering". The new page now includes places that visitors staying in Angmering can visit within about 20 miles of it and incorporates a Google location map of the attractions.

The page is now accessed by clicking on the "What to do and see" link in the left hand navigation bar.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  23:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excellent Neil, once again you have excelled yourself.

I am sure there are lots of clubs and organisations that could offer more information for your site, and hope they will come forward and help to make this even better than it is.

Thanks again for your support on everything this village has.
[8~2][x2x]

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  19:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments Patty. I wonder sometimes whether the clubs and organisations are rather inward looking and ring-fence themselves from the rest of the village. Having said that, it is appreciated that they often have only limited resources or have no mandate to do anything other than meet their constitutional aims.

Regarding the new information on West Sussex attractions on the "What to do and see" page, there was a motive for doing this. I have been made aware that the current economic conditions, recent poor weather, and parking restrictions (yellow line enforcement and church car park unavailability) may be having impact on some village shops' takings. As if WSCC cared!

We therefore need to find ways in getting more people into the village who hopefully will patronise our shops. What I have done may or may not be effective but it is attempting to make Angmering a good and convenient place to stay when visiting West Sussex. It takes the longer term approach. Hidden "meta tags" in the page containing trigger words will in time be picked up by search engines, although this may take up to a year to maximise. Hopefully by then some more car parking spaces will come back on stream in the village.

What we need to think of now are other ideas to get villagers and outsiders to use our shops if we are to save them. Any ideas? If so, please post them in the General Forum as a new topic.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000