destruction of beautiful willow trees
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eliza

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  12:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am horrified to see the destruction of the beautiful willow trees at the begining of Greenwood Drive this morning . I know they were in your front garden, but how could you ? What a shame ! I loved seeing these beautiful trees when entering The Dell. New people... shame on you... VANDALISM IN MY OPINION

dl

Edited by - Eliza on 20 Aug 2014 12:44:06

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  13:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The remaining stumps DO look horrific and ugly but presume the trees were getting out of control. I have just spoken to the "tree surgeons" who are clearing up after the "procedure" who confirm that the willows have just been pollarded but are not being removed. They were pollarded a few years back but I am sure not to the same extent as today's chain saw massacre! Hopefully they will regain some beauty in the next couple of years. They were planted by Hargreaves some 25 years ago to give an imposing entrance to The Dell.

Villagers were horrified when the lime trees in The Square were pollarded a few years ago but they have now regained their shape. Similarly, the black poplar behind The Lamb (recently struck by lightning) regained its shape after pollarding.

I only hope that the ancient yew tree by the entrance to St Margaret's Church is not badly damaged when the tree surgeons prune this again shortly!
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  11:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These trees have already started sprouting new branches
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: