Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Giz

6 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  15:32:54  Show Profile
Hi Terry / Derek

I'm trying to link all the info I've currently got on the Guile's and there are a number of baptisms in Billingshurst with parents of William and Dianah. Do you know whether this is William the son of Martha bapt 1805 and whether I am right in thinking that he married Diana Greenfield in Findon?

Also there is a Jane Guile, wife of Richard Guile, who died 10th Feb 1812 aged 21 and was buried in Worth. On the inscription it mentions that she was the daughter of Thomas and Barbara Humphreys. There is an IGI extracted record of a marriage between Richard Guile and Jane Humphreys 4th Oct 1813 Saint Saviour, Southwark, Surrey. Unfortunately the dates don't quite tie up - any ideas on this one and also where this Richard fits into the Guiles?

Thanks

Di
Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  22:57:10  Show Profile
Hi Di
Yes William was Martha Guiles Son, who married Dianah 1828, Findon.
This is the Line Of people I come from (Martha's side)
The father of William was a John Smith.

As for the second part I don't have this Richard listed on my tree,
even though I have Plenty of Guile's (300 and counting)and Humphreys on it.
Probably still alot of links I still need to get as new ones
pop up daily.

Terry

Edited by - Terry on 14 Jan 2009 22:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Giz

6 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  16:40:16  Show Profile
Hi Terry

I know what you mean about the links as the number of Guile grows!! I think I have now linked the Angmering and Arundel Guiles by William of Angmering moving there with his son Thomas, who I think was born c1755 and married Jane Mason.

Unfortunately until I manage to get down to the West Sussex records office the Poling / Patching familes will remain a mystery to me as I'm unable to find any way of getting these parish records online.

At the moment I'm trying to confirm what I think is a link between the Lyminster Guile's and the groom at Petworth House and his family...

Cheers

Di
Go to Top of Page

Giz

6 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  12:56:51  Show Profile
Derek

You've probably come across this but just in case you haven't it might help you link the Angmering Guiles to Patching / Poling

Midhurst Sessions, 13 & 14 January 1690
1323 GEALE John; recites order removing him from Angmering to Patching. He has since returned and is now ordered to the house of correction at Arundel

Cheers

Giz
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  14:16:21  Show Profile
Hi Giz

Yes I do have a record of the Quarter Sessions and very interesting it is. However my problem is trying to establish where the three brothers,John, Thomas and William Guile came from before settling in Angmering. There is a John Geale and his brother Thomas Geale baptised in Findon in 1682 and 1688 respectively but no trace anywhere of a William Geale/Guile. So at the moment I cannot make the link between Angmering Guiles and Patching/Poling Guiles. I have searched the IGI and all the parish registers and Bishops Transcripts but cannot find a William. Help!!!

Regards

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Giz

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  14:54:20  Show Profile
Hi Derek

There is a baptism in Rudgwick:
8/10/1686 William father - William mother - not given GEILL from Ewhurst, Surrey.

Ewhurst, Surrey has a number of Jeale / Geale records

Perhaps our ancestors came to Sussex via Surrey?

Cheers

Giz
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  12:09:06  Show Profile
Hi Giz

I must apologise for omitting a crucial bit of information earlier on. The 3 brothers at Angmering, John, Thomas and William, who were resident in the early 1700's had a father named John. I have a copy (from West Sussex Record Office) of Letters of Administration dated 1730 to Thomas Guile of Angmering in respect of his father John Guile.

From this I assume Thomas was the older of the brothers and that their father must have died a short while before 1730. However I cannot locate a burial of a John Guile at anytime near 1730.

The hunt continues!!!

Regards Derek
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  19:08:17  Show Profile
Hi Terry

I hope you still visit this site cos I need your help!!

I believe you are descended from Jude and then her daughter Martha, and last yesr you kindly offered me info on that side of the family. I am now in a position to take on board any info you can provide particularly the date and place of Martha's death, and details of any of her son william, baptised in 1805, and any other useful info of other children etc. I do have details of her first son James (B1803) who I believe was raised by his uncle John Guile and aunt Phoebe at Lyminster and later married and raised his own family. James was raised by his uncle and aunt becaused Martha was leading a very unfortunate life which included spells in the work-house.

Are you able to help please? If you wish to contact me direct my e-mail address is - derekguile@btinternet.com

Hope to hear from you soon.

Happy new year to you and your family.

kind regards

Derek Guile
Go to Top of Page

timguile

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  22:05:12  Show Profile
I am descended from Samuel Guile of Poling. I have a scarf and copies of papers from Henry Guile of Shoreham. I want to know if the family originally came from France.
Go to Top of Page

timguile

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  22:20:23  Show Profile
I am also descended from Samuel Guile of Poling. I recently met a guile in Wales whose grandfather came from Littlehampton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000