Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guiseppe
Average Member

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  20:44:45  Show Profile
This monstrosity about to open its many doors to a public no doubt eager for yet another vastly over sized retail emporium along the A259 displays all the architectural attributes of the late 'Fords Of Dagenham' plant .
A few points to consider:
1. Leveling the previous perfectly adequate and relatively restrained building from a modern retail architecture viewpoint amounts to nothing short of commercial vandalism !
2. Q. How does anyone including a powerful retail organization/individual get planning permission to increase the size of a premises/ dwelling four fold A.Expert knowledge of how the get round the planning system and lots of money distributed in the right places I guess.
3. Q. What new exciting merchandise will this vast new shed have to offer A. Plenty of cheap naff textiles and other money saving gadgetry mostly manufactured under slave conditions in third world countries such as Bangladesh and Pakistan and purchased by a highly respectable retail trade through dubious agencies who ensure that there is a clear break in the link between manufacturing site and retail outlet.
Long live small retailers everywhere ( especially in Rustington and Angmering !
Go to Top of Page

Smuggler

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  11:43:39  Show Profile
Guiseppe. What a bundle of fun you seem to be.It appears you are one of the type that finds fault with everything.
I have been to Sainsbury's to day and it look a rather impressive store. Some of us look forward to shopping there. Bet you will be one of the first through the door on 30th

syliviajanesmith
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  13:08:49  Show Profile
Some individuals appear confused.

Most of the comments on these forums and others, fall into two main categories:-

1. Matters of Fact.
and
2. Matters of personal Opinion.

Some people, dd for example states..."If you're not angry that this has been allowed by the Planners, then you should be...."

I'm very sorry, but I do not share that view and I'm not all that keen on being told what I should feel.

It may be a "fact" that the new building is somewhat beyond the original approved planning application, but most of the recent comments on this subject are matters of "personal opinion."

Those that don't like the new building for whatever reason, are free to avoid it. Personally, my wife and I used the old Sainsburys, the temporary one and look forward to the new one.

We do however buy all our meat, at Meat in the Square in Angmering and often use the Co-op for occasional shopping, and I assure dd that the fact that our views do not coincide on this subject, does not put me in the category of .."one of the apathetic brigade that inhabits Angmering." If you assume everyone must agree with you, than you must find life very difficult.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  05:28:00  Show Profile
What!!!!!.......No comments on the new store now it has opened????????
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  08:39:03  Show Profile
Bert, in your long thought about posting you acknowledge:

"It may be a "fact" that the new building is somewhat beyond the original approved planning application"

That is what you should be angry about, surely. The apparent rampant ability of the planners to manipulate developments they want. That is what those that are not apathetic have been fighting strenuously for over the last few years in respect of Arun's overall planning process.

Heaven forbid, no-ones telling you what to think. Just that you might like to think a little more.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  19:18:03  Show Profile
Oh dear derek...are you still going on about that!

I was merely pointing out the difference between fact and personal opinion, which appears to cause many, some difficulty.

It may be a "fact" that the building is beyond the planning application. I do not know.

But my personal opinion is, that I feel positive about the new store and I'll leave the "anger" to you. The building does not cause me any difficulty whatsoever and I'm sure it will serve the residents of Angmering, Rustington and the surrounding area very well.

My wife and I look forward to our first visit.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  19:42:03  Show Profile
Well I hope you are not in a rush Bert - the travelators from the car park to shopping level are so supportive of health and safety by not going too fast, that they almost grind to a halt, so then you have a choice of one of two lifts, unless you enter at A259 level. I have been just once and look forward to never going again. Come Christmas they will be losing shoppers purely because they have not designed it to move the volumes of shoppers - regardless of the fact that they have given 2 fingers to the residents/planners and built what they wanted
Go to Top of Page

AngmeringAl

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  20:58:35  Show Profile
Well it looks better than I thought it would , but its so close to the road , which makes it look huge . As for it being built bigger than the plans , I cant see them getting away with that .

And Bert ... you and your wife are looking forward to your first visit !! Really ! you are actually looking forward to that in your life lol

Edited by - AngmeringAl on 01 Nov 2013 21:00:51
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  12:39:59  Show Profile
Did not know shopping involved racing

quote:
Originally posted by luckyduck

Well I hope you are not in a rush Bert - the travelators from the car park to shopping level are so supportive of health and safety by not going too fast, that they almost grind to a halt, so then you have a choice of one of two lifts, unless you enter at A259 level. I have been just once and look forward to never going again. Come Christmas they will be losing shoppers purely because they have not designed it to move the volumes of shoppers - regardless of the fact that they have given 2 fingers to the residents/planners and built what they wanted

Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  13:36:51  Show Profile
AngmeringAl....on the scale of life events, of course, a weekly shop at a brand new Sainsburys, is not near the top of the list.

However the fact that it is a weekly event, one has the choice of being negative, positive or completely indifferent, to such an occasion.

Clearly some are "angry," and I will leave that entirely with them, but we prefer a very positive outlook to such a weekly event, albeit of course the premises are not in Angmering, but in Rustington.

Happy days.....
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  14:41:19  Show Profile
Keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose I suppose :-)
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  18:24:07  Show Profile
Well, I don't recall the A259 being bedlam on the 30th - at least when I drove along it a couple of times, nor have I seen Halfords' car park overflowing, except because the Sainsbury's car park was near to full, so it didn't seem to worry many that the sky (or building) was about to fall on their heads.

Guess these prophesies of doom rank alongside those of the generations of schoolchildren that were going to be mown down by drivers pulling onto the Station Road footpath to avoid a collision at the pinch points, and the total collapse of village centre businesses caused by the pinch points.

Oh, nearly forgot - that big silver tank really is an eyesore isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  11:44:41  Show Profile
Fantastic shopping facility and great parking. Happy days.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  09:20:50  Show Profile
Anybody want to guess what they are doing to the old temporary Sainsburys???
Go to Top of Page

lindylou
Average Member

49 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  16:21:07  Show Profile
We could do with a Lidl/Aldi
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  05:53:25  Show Profile
Whisper is a Halfords Sevice Centre
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  22:19:55  Show Profile
I can't see the Halfords thing unless they close the existing Halfords...which is possible.

Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  09:24:53  Show Profile
Suspicions now turn to Dunelm with the advert in the West Sussex Gazette for staff
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  11:19:49  Show Profile
It would seem highly likely that Dunelm would be going into the old Focus DIY/ex-temporary Sainsburys store to the east of Windmill Bridge. The proposed non-food store to the west of Windmill Bridge (next to Chandlers proposed facilities) is unlikely to be of a suitable size for a Dunelm store.

The advert states that they Dunelm are now opening a brand new store in Rustington and that Dunelm have been voted the UK's 3rd favourite place to shop.

I think a Dunelm store would be generally welcomed but would, of course, increase traffic on the A259.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000