New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  08:15:45  Show Profile
Things on the Forums seems fairly quiet at the moment so I was wondering to the extent to which they were still read.

When I looked at the statistics this morning, I see that there have been nearly 10,000 visits to the Forums this year alone and almost 1000 visits in the last week.

It is sometimes said that only a handful of people post to the Forums, but statistics tell a different story. So far this year, 67 different people have made postings.

Since the Forums started up in 2006, there have been some 10,000 postings to them.

I believe in responsible free speech. I do not necessarity agree with every statement made in these Forums and do not expect everybody to agree with me

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  21:35:52  Show Profile
Neil

AVL is to be congratulated as the figures clearly show how popular it is & clearly belies claims by APC & its supporters that it is not representative demonstrating just how arrogant they are.

Long may it continue!
Go to Top of Page

apples

21 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  23:11:25  Show Profile
I wonder how many actual people have visited, it's still impressive numbers anyway, just wondering because if I go to another topic and then back to this one it clocks up another visit to it and if someone else posts later or tomorrow and I read it, that will be another visit clocked up.

Bram, I'd love to see APC getting stuck in on this forum, why don't you give it a rest? I don't expect to see APC bashing, or any sort of bashing on this sub forum and I don't think it's just APC you are discouraging from joining in.

I was going to send the above paragraph to Neil priavtely as a complaint (please take this posting as one anyway) but seeing as this is about the website itself may be it's worth asking if anyone else is put off from joining in by this constant barrage of negativity from a few prolific members, I certainly am.

Perhaps a new sub forum should be created, the "despondency forum" and maybe it could only be visible to registered members so as not to discourage new ones because personally if I wasn't already a member I don't think I'd register after reading some of this stuff and I look here less and less often these days because of it and when I clicked and read on what seems like a pretty innocent thread I still get the same old same old and it just doesn't do the village in general and AVL in particular any favours.

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  23:51:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by apples

I wonder how many actual people have visited, it's still impressive numbers anyway, just wondering because if I go to another topic and then back to this one it clocks up another visit to it and if someone else posts later or tomorrow and I read it, that will be another visit clocked up.

I have not counted the total number of readings of all the topics - yes they increase if you go back into them. The topic reading figures have nothing to do with the number of visitors to the Forums.

The figure of 10,000 which I quote is only the number of visitors coming through the Forums' portal page since 1 January 2010. Within that figure there are likely to be many hundreds of people who are regular or fairly regular visitors to the Forums.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2010 :  17:27:33  Show Profile
Well said Apples. It's not necessarily what people contribute - everyone has a right to their views. It's just that some seem to confuse quantity with quality and Go On, and On, and On, and ...........

Oh, and before some say you don't need to read it if you don't like it, there are sometimes some little gems, like Apple's, but you have to wade through a lot of rubbish to find them.

Some have genuine complaints and some just like repeatedly stirring the pot - you know who you are!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2010 :  20:40:15  Show Profile
Impressive figures Neil.

I check the forums each day and read all new additions, so have probably added a few digits to the numbers myself.

I have looked at other village web sites, as i have an interest in all local villages and towns and find that AVL is far and away the best of the lot.

Well done and long may we benefit from your time.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2010 :  13:45:29  Show Profile
Neil,

Interesting figures. Is it an easy task to break it down into numbers posted by member within each thread? In case you are wondering, there is no hidden agenda, just curiousity as I had a situation some time ago where high level figures gave cause for concern, but drilling deeper into the data identified that 2 out of 700 people were causing the poor results, and I now spend a part of my day providing detailed figures. I have similar thoughts about other forums I visit, where high-level figures are quoted.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2010 :  16:05:19  Show Profile
I don't have any problem with the number of visits to the Forums or on any page of the AVL website. They have been consistent and gradually growing since they started.

Of course some people enter the Forums several times a day and I've never claimed that 10,000 people have visited the Forums since the beginning of January this year. I do as well, but my visits are not logged in those figures

However, based on what people tell me personally, I know that there are dozens of people who regularly visit the Forums who are not even registered members.

It's perhaps others who are trying to put an interpretation on these statistics - not me. The 10,000 postings since 2006 is not in doubt either.

I only put up this statistics posting in an idle moment as things were so quiet and readers, like me, might be wondering whether people still look at the Forums. I was surprised to see members trying to make something out of it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000