Weather (local) page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  15:40:40  Show Profile
Neil, I often check the weather page and in particular the five day forecast for this area, along with the BBC five day forecast for Littlehampton.

I have noticed recently things have not been so accurate on this weather page.

Today, (10/7) the next five days forecast is a "Chance of Rain." Now I appreciate there is such a chance, infact over the next couple of days there is a strong chance of rain, but is it the predominant weather condition for the next five days?

I recall a week ago when we had some fine, sunny, warm and dry weather, which was certainly the predominant condition, the weather pages indicated "Chance of Rain."

Also recently, the max. daily temp. appears much higher than it will possibly be. Today for example, it indicates a max. temp. of 34C.

I should think this extremely unlikely. I noticed the max. temp. was very optimistic over recent days.
Not being critical, but just wondered if anything is amiss.

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  16:02:56  Show Profile
Yes, Bert, the equipment is getting old and it is the intention to replace it.

Some items of the equipment are still functioning fairly well. The rain gauge is fine and so is the wind speed and direction. The pressure gauge seems to be operating well and the rate of pressure change graph looks OK. The current temperature is reading a degree or so high but it is a reading from the Rustington/Littlehampton border which may be slightly different from here - the weather station is about 1.75 miles from the village centre. The highest temp of the day has gone completely to pot as you suggest - not sure whether anything can be done about this but perhaps Philip may wish to comment as it's his equipment.

The 5 Day weather forecast is imported from "Weather Underground" and there is nothing that can be done about that. Readers who are interested in the forecast for the coming days might try clicking on the link immediately below the Weather Underground forecast. That will bring up the BBC forecast which is much more accurate.

I note Weathercam is out of action again. System will need re-booting.

Apologies for current problems. I don't think that there will be an immediate solution to some of the problems.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  16:26:27  Show Profile
Neil, many thanks for reply and explanation.
Go to Top of Page

philip
Administrator

15 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  16:41:30  Show Profile
Sorted the weather cam, as system needed a reboot folling a power failure.

Yes, the weather station has served us well, but is now having wobbly moments on a number of fronts (the wind speed only likes sunny days)....and the thermometer is now a temporary unit that does not support "Wind Chill" and catches the sun in the mornings, hence the erroneous readings in the mornings.

However, the good news is that I intend to replace it soon, with more advanced equipment, that will give much greater accuracy on the temperature readings as well as wind speed and rainfall too.

Can't give a definitive date, but hope to have it fully installed and up and running by end August.....weather permitting!
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  17:07:33  Show Profile
Many thanks Philip.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page