Honey Lane
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2013 :  11:56:53  Show Profile
Honey lane is not looking too good at the momentwith all the pot holes. It only seems like yesterday that it was re-surfaced. Shame it did not last very long. Any plans for repair?

seagull
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2013 :  13:45:31  Show Profile
It would appear that it was not re-surfaced properly, as it hasn't lasted very long. It also doesn't help if the
householders come in and out of their driveways too quickly churning up the surface which leads to pot holes. The only answer is for the residents to employ a proper contractor to do it properly with a guarantee. The allotment part has lasted much better because no turns can be made.
Go to Top of Page

doug

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2013 :  17:00:39  Show Profile
Also the fence abutting the allotments and the footpath through to Bramley green is down across the footpath and yep those potholes are getting doctor foster esq I have to jump them on my bike on my journey through to work
Go to Top of Page

SamG

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  10:20:14  Show Profile
I am a resident of Honey Lane, one of the houses that had to pay for the repair to the road. Although I have witnessed some residents drive quicker than the suggested 5 mph speed limit, I can safely say that the majority of the damage has occurred by allotment users. The speed humps were put in because this is not only a road but also a footpath, this should have slowed people down but instead they drive just as fast then slam on the breaks before hitting a hump, we then get pot holes. As for the road past the houses and towards the allotments, this was completed and paid for by the allotment society/council, they have the money to get the road fixed to that standard. When the honey lane residents approached the allotment society for money towards the fix of honey lane, they refused! After a few meetings they helped out with just a few hundred pound, along with the council doing the same, and yet they still want every allotment holder to use our private road. This money along with contributions of the home owners did not go far :( and the results are what we are now left with. I personally feel out of pocket and with more holes than ever before.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  16:50:41  Show Profile
Welcome SamG.

Undoubtedly, traffic to the allotments must cause wear and tear on the road surface. But, as I have observed on these Forums before, vehicles belonging to houses in Honey Lane are also a major contributor to the damage.

It is a known fact that the tyres of vehicles turning create significant resistance to a road surface and many of the holes can be seen outside properties where vehicles turn into driveways/parking areas.

Angmering residents made a contribution to the previous improvements in 2011 via the Parish Council, and the Council made it quite clear at that time that the contribution would not set any precedent for the future. Honey Lane is a private road and Angmering residents should not be paying to re-surface it. If the Council did this again, they would be inundated with demands from people living in private roads to contribute to the upkeep of those roads.

The costs of the repair of Honey Lane are down to the residents of that road, the Honey Lane Allotment Society, and the Somerset Estate.
Go to Top of Page

seagull
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  23:04:44  Show Profile
SamG you are totally wrong. Neil is correct in everything he said. The potholes are caused by the residents turning into and out of their properties. You only have to see where the potholes are! Driving in a straight line does not cause a pothole. You only have to look at the allotment part of the lane where there is hardly any damage.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  11:59:33  Show Profile
Not sure you can compare the two sections of Honey Lane. Aren't they totally different surfaces?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  12:25:01  Show Profile
Yes, there are two different surfaces done at two different times. There is wear on the allotment section (south) as well. This would have lasted much longer if the pavement had not been laid. I am not complaining about the excellent pavement, but the drilling out for the kerbing disturbed the stones underneath which passing traffic ground into the surface reducing the length of its life.

The surface laid there was quite interesting. I think it was reconstituted tarmac pieces.

The north section was just a cheap job and was never going to last long!
Go to Top of Page

SamG

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  12:55:56  Show Profile
Seagull I did not come on here to argue..
I think you all need to re look at where the holes are. At the start of the road there are 3 cottages, this is a straight road with no drives. There is a speed hump and either side of this speed hump are large pot holes, caused I can see by people speeding up to the hump then slowing to go over it. The best part of the road is in the middle, this is where there are no speed humps but there is houses with driveways. It is impossible to pull out or pull in to your driveway at speed, in front of most there is a brickwall, making it very tight and therefore making it much slower to get in or out.

This is a private road, but do the residents of honey lane own it? No! I own only my house and my drive. The owner of the road I have been advised refused to contribute to the repair to the road. The repair was organised by one householder who has now sold up and moved on. The repair was supposed to come with a ten year guarantee and they were advised that the job down would be suitable for the amount of traffic that it has to take. Unfortunately there was no guarantee and only one repair after. We as residents just coughed up the money as when requested.

I personally drive slowly down the road and do not fly in and out of my driveway. I just wish that everyone else respected this and then maybe this less than adequate job may have lasted a lot longer make it more pleasureable for foot and road traffic.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  07:36:47  Show Profile
Hard to argue with the points you make. Not convinced myself that potholes are caused by residents spinning tyres. More likely the volume of traffic - allotments, refuse vehicles, tradesmen's vans, etc.

If it's a private road perhaps you should take a leaf out of Church Lane residents' book and block entrance to traffic. Or would that just be bloody minded?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  11:00:32  Show Profile
Studies have shown that the tighter the turn, the greater the effect of scouring/scuffing vehicles have on a road surface. It is not a spinning tyres issue - it's the slow grinding effect during the turn. Those who back into their driveways in Honey Lane can cause a scouring effect on the opposite side of the road from their front wheels when they turn to come out.

I back slowly out of my own driveway in Greenwood Drive and need to turn out into the road. The result is that the turning effect on the last couple of heavy flagstones on my driveway is constantly moving them and they have to be levered back into position every few months.

Notwithstanding the turning/scouring issue, some of SamG's points are still valid and I'm sure that vehicles going at faster speeds over the bumps cause damage to the road surface. Delivery vehicles and traffic to the allotments must bear some responsibility for the wear and tear on the lane surface.

The holes at the entrance to Honey Lane from the High Street are probably the result of the turning and scouring effect of vehicles entering and leaving the lane - there are no bumps at that point.

It is shameful that the owner of the road will not make any contribution to the repair - even if it is just a nominal amount. As the road is probably part of the "Safer Walk to Schools", has the West Sussex County Council been approached for a contribution? I don't think that the safer route initiative is a Parish Council responsibility.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000