New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gemmasmith1977

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  10:52:43  Show Profile
Hi

Has anyone else noticed the smell of burning recently on Bramley Green? It happens quite regularly with the last occasion on Friday night. We have to close all our windows and take our washing in as it smells so bad. It usually starts at about 10pm, when it has just got dark. The Environmental Health department at Arun District Council can only take action if they know who is creating the burning smell but I have no idea who it is! Any help?! Do you get affected by it too? If you have any information, can you let me know or contact Arun District Council by telephone on 01903 737755 or e-mail: pollution@arun.gov.uk.

Thanks

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  11:39:52  Show Profile
I hate it!!! it is so strong I keep thinking it can only be a few doors away but in reality I know how far away a bonfire can be and still smell strong. The other day we noticed a bonfire was in the field possibly where the new large big house has been built( near the spotted cow)
I am guessing the idiot who is lighting this bonfire late thinks they are not annoying anyone. but in this warm weather it is very inconsiderate, if I knew where it was a very large bucket of water would be chucked over their fence!!
Go to Top of Page

Gemmasmith1977

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  12:28:35  Show Profile

That is interesting, maybe it is there that is creating the problem. Next time I smell it I may take a wander up there and see if I can see anything there....It is very inconsiderate and not fair that in our warm weather we have to close all our windows!
Go to Top of Page

newbird
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  22:40:00  Show Profile
Someone along from us was burning something very smelly in a chimnea on Friday eve. They do it quite often and usually fairly late. I guess they try and do it when everyone is in doors but it does make the house smell if you have your Windows open. Was Nursery Road area. Was going to light ours tonight and sit out watching the meteor shower but conscious that all the neighbours have their windows open :0 (
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  23:00:51  Show Profile
Think the smell from chimneas and fire pits are ok , bonfires and burning rubbish is a completely different smell . The first few minutes when you light a fire pit or chimnea can smoke for a few mins but I don't think the smell from them would offend anyone , well not me .
Go to Top of Page

Gemmasmith1977

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  21:45:16  Show Profile
Anyone got any more information on the burning smell on Bramley Green? It started again tonight at about 9pm...another warm night bit no choice but to close all the windows...not happy!
Go to Top of Page

Bluebell
Average Member

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2013 :  08:22:14  Show Profile
Burning stench at 1 o'clock in the morning today, just wonder who has that much rubbish to have so many bonfires?
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2013 :  11:07:40  Show Profile
It carried on until 4 this morning..it made me feel sick and headachy !! Also 7.30 this morning started again , my husband walked and said it was coming from around the flower nurserys. God knows who is lighting them in the middle if the night ! A nutter ! I am seriously fed up with closing the windows .
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2013 :  14:27:09  Show Profile
The nursery's probably have an incinerator that is lit at night....or something similar
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2013 :  17:29:31  Show Profile
Which branch of the council deals with this sort of thing - environmental health? Give them a ring.
Go to Top of Page

Gemmasmith1977

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  09:24:37  Show Profile
It understand it was the new house being built opposite the Spotted Cow burning their rubbish but appears not to have happened for a few days, maybe someone told the Environmental Health people at the Council....fingers crossed!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  12:27:28  Show Profile
I don't know if there is any connection, but the West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service went to Mayflower Way (south-east of Bramley Green) on Friday at 7.30pm and extinguished a "fire in the open involving large amount of refuse".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000