New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Crazypaving
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  12:35:17  Show Profile
I know that rumours are abounding over Ikea and so wondered if anybody had info about this site already having been sold and Ikea moving there? God help us! The A259 is already completely gridlocked near Haskins for most of the day. I cannot imagine how bad the impact on Angmering would be if this proves to be more than just an idle rumour. All these huge companies must know something we don't and just wonder how many promises ADC has made to these predators for their business.

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  17:27:41  Show Profile
Just think, you're selling modern design items, primarily to young singles and families. Not always endowed with quality but attractive nevertheless. You need a steady flow of such customers, given the significant investment you need to make.

You also need to have a large store, always on two floors. One floor to ease customers round a pre-ordained maze and the other for large item storage, long queues at the tills and various eating outlets, preferably meat balls.

Now, look at Ferring or Angmering, and consider whether those requirements are met by the local populace and their shopping habits?

Anything's possible these days but rumours of IKEA choosing this locality in the near future look somewhat unlikely.
Go to Top of Page

lindylou
Average Member

49 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  18:18:43  Show Profile
Not so sure about that .

IKEA stores generate a large proportion of their customers from a large geographical area - and Brighton is in striking distance !! lots of the right customer profiles over there.

I have been surprised that IKEA haven't opened a store on the outskirts of Brighton but why am I not suprised that they would like to put one on 'our' bit of the A259 - probably because they know they can as ADC seems to ' wave ' everything through however ludicrous . Having written my 3 objection letters re the housing applications do we get any opportunity to put our objections forward with reference to the likes of Asda, Haskins/Hobby Craft/ Sainsburys etc and now IKEA.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  18:50:40  Show Profile
It's not just local population but ease of access for those coming from further away, which they will do for Ikea (if it's true, but I think it's just a rumour) and are doing for Haskins/hobbycraft.

Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  18:51:12  Show Profile
It's a fair point but, as I say, availabilty of customers is but one element of the overall commercial consideration. We'll see.

Many are concerned about the apparent inclination of ADC to permit every application presented to them, both residential and commercial. Your resolve to register objections is to be applauded. Those who haven't will no doubt be the first to complain if developments are granted permission.

Incidentally, referring to original posting, there is no gridlock on the A259. Gridlock only occurs when traffic is at a standstill for prolonged periods. It may be slow but whether that is directly related to new commercial develoments is unproven.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  19:15:51  Show Profile
They're also coming to Haskins/Hobbycraft for a more pleasurable retail experience. We have to remember that this site and also Asda were existing commercial sites. They have not added to the commercial footprint. As far as Asda is concerned there is a lot of apparent snobbishness prevalent. But, if they open a petrol station many will flock there.

Sainsbury's is also an existing site, so is Morrisons. So, they are red herrings. Chandlers, however, much as their development might be attractive, and their removal from the village centre a benefit, is an addition and so is the proposed Retail Park west of Windmill Bridge.

Go to Top of Page

lindylou
Average Member

49 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  21:35:35  Show Profile
Sainsburys may be an existing site but the new, extended site will, no doubt, attract more customers as it will no longer be selling just food ie clothes, electricals and homewares.
Morrisons may be an existing site but even when the old site was operational it was mainly workers.
The Country Garden site attracted a minute number of customers compared to Asda even it is using the same footprint.
How much of a coincidence - although not 'proven' - is it that the undeniable fact that the traffic flow along this section of the A259 is much worse than before Haskins/Hobbycraft/Asda
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000