New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  09:57:06  Show Profile
Perusing the attachments to the last APC Highways meeting on 23 October, I saw the following in the Priority List:

quote:
- implement use of village green as a roundabout (reducing congestion and improving general flow of traffic).

I hope that there is no intention to cut away the triangle that forms The Green.

Is the traffic that bad that this even needs to be considered? Reversing out of parking spaces in front of the Co-op might be even more of a hazard!

But have residents even been consulted in this matter? Who is responsible for this suggestion which is actively being pursued by consultants to WSCC?

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  10:15:17  Show Profile
Good grief!

If you want to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion, get rid of the pinch points, double yellow line water lane and bring back the double yellow lines on Arundel road.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  19:41:37  Show Profile
Absolute travesty. Are they intent on destroying the character of the village?
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  21:39:25  Show Profile
I thought there was an intention to reduce "street furniture" (signs to you and me), not increase it.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  23:03:44  Show Profile
One way to ease the traffic flow 'through' the village would be to close the bypass gap at the end of Water Lane. They did it at the Hammerpot junction and it proved very successful and made the junction much safer. Just a thought.....but I'm not a planner.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  23:05:57  Show Profile
Thank God!

Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  10:20:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BFA

Good grief!

If you want to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion, get rid of the pinch points, double yellow line water lane and bring back the double yellow lines on Arundel road.

BFA I agree with your idea of getting rid of the pinch points.I cannot see they provide any useful purpose other than to create problems.
Parking in Water Lane once BMW have left the area will probably be improved and I am not sure everybody (Butchers/Bakers/Vets) will agree with double lining Arundel Road. The High St bend at the back of BMW needs resolving.

Is closing the Northern access from the by-pass such a bad idea???

Anybody who seriously wants ""access"" to the village/Bramley Green could come A27 to Hammerpot and down to the village. Not many through travellers would use this route because of the latent hold ups created by the school and parking in Arundel Road. Closing it from the North would not affect access from the south.

Edited by - roosterbri on 06 Jan 2013 12:13:06
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  10:29:40  Show Profile
Be careful what you ask for in clearing pinch points and having double yellow lines. The clearer the road is the faster cars will travel, and then we have another serious problem. We really need a complete review of traffic management for the whole village, not just isolated points - but even with a plan/strategy in place, it will cost money, and the only way money will arrive is with big housing developments, which 60% of the village have made clear they do NOT want. Maybe Arun are just scare-mongering, or flying a kite to see what our reaction is.
Go to Top of Page

Crazypaving
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  10:37:03  Show Profile
BFA: I think closing the bypass access from the A280 would be catastrophic! Already those of us living in or around BG have a nghtmare trying to get on the A259 and with the proposed developments all accessing on to Roundstone Lane, we won't be able to get in or out. The ASDA debacle has already given us complete gridlock. You need to get out more. If only you could!!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  13:36:41  Show Profile
Whoa!
That wasn't my suggestion, it was Nigel's. I'm with you...... and I do get out a bit
Go to Top of Page

Crazypaving
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  14:12:16  Show Profile
My sincere apologies BFA. I need to get out myself!! How do you do it?! Obviously Nigel lives in the north of the village and the rediculous developments being planned for Roundstone Lane and probably (from my cynical and sceptical viewpoint!) have been secretly agreed between The DC and the developers won't impact on him!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  23:16:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by roosterbri

[BFA I agree with your idea of getting rid of the pinch points.I cannot see they provide any useful purpose other than to create problems.
Parking in Water Lane once BMW have left the area will probably be improved and I am not sure everybody (Butchers/Bakers/Vets) will agree with double lining Arundel Road. The High St bend at the back of BMW needs resolving.

Is closing the Northern access from the by-pass such a bad idea???

Anybody who seriously wants ""access"" to the village/Bramley Green could come A27 to Hammerpot and down to the village. Not many through travellers would use this route because of the latent hold ups created by the school and parking in Arundel Road. Closing it from the North would not affect access from the south.

quote:
Originally posted by BFA

...... bring back the double yellow lines on Arundel road.

I was referring to the double lines that used to exist, from Bewley Rd to Palmer Rd and yes it is a bad idea to close that gap, it (Water lane) is and always was the main access to the village from the North, if the same amount of traffic were to access the village (or go through it), or even half that amount, via Hammerpot, it would be havoc.

Edited by - BFA on 06 Jan 2013 23:19:17
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  14:46:17  Show Profile
A bitover the top BFA

Havoc....

Noun
great destruction or devastation; ruinous damage.

verb (used with object)
to work havoc upon; devastate

Edited by - roosterbri on 07 Jan 2013 14:47:33
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:46:55  Show Profile
For the benefit of Crazypaving and everyone else. I do live in the north of the village so know the benefits of closing gaps on village approaches. My post highlighted the word 'through' because the traffic and congestion in the village is mainly caused by just that, people cutting through. This might benefit the likes of BFA as local businesses could obvious benefit from passing trade, but I doubt if many stop, they just want to get home as quick as possible. The speed they drive through the village is proof of that. I understand that people who live in the south of the village would oppose closing the A280 gap, but they could at least exit the village as usual on the morning run.
As for future developments not impacting on my life, you couldn't be further from the truth. I moved here over 20yrs ago because I loved the village of Angmering, its beauty, pace of life and atmosphere.
This is slowly being eroded by development and modern trends in living style. Anyone who followed my time as a councillor will know that I was and still am opposed to anything that would cause too much change unless there are distinct benefits for the village. Also, anyone living in the north of the village, and that includes BFA, know the problems of more development in the village and the flow of traffic generated to the primary schools, both in Arundel Road. None of the proposed developments include any benefits for the village apart from housing which we may or not be needed, (...another argument)and WSCC don't seem to think we need another school.
Final rant, pinch points. I hate them, but anything that slows drivers down surely must be a benefit. Pity they are in the wrong place.

Never judge what you don't understand.

Edited by - Nigel on 07 Jan 2013 18:49:38
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  23:32:57  Show Profile
There are only three dual access points to the village, water lane, roundstone lane and station road and out of those three, only two are also dual exit, roundstone lane and station road, both in the south.

The village needs dual access from both north and south, that is THE VILLAGE as in people that live here and people that want to get here.

A thought should also be spared for those that just want to get home, or somwhere else south of the village for any reason. It's not their fault that the best route at certain times (like most of the time), is through the village - I would take it in their wheels and so would you (anyone) if you're honest.

If that gap were closed then at certain times if I wanted to get home from the North, I wouldn't be taking the Hammerpot junction or the A259/roundstone lane/station road. I'd be going to the bottom of the bypass and coming back on myself to water lane.

So think about the environment as well, because that option would be the quickest and most economical.

It's a pity parish councillors can't be interviewed by the parishioners before being accepted because ideas like this - and the roundabout this thread is about, are bananas and I personally don't want anyone representing me, and am unhappy that I ever did have, with such ideas.

Edited by - BFA on 08 Jan 2013 00:02:04
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  00:07:32  Show Profile
the pinch points dont slow down drivers, they are bloody dangerous! case in point the stupid moose who smashed into my car with my daughter in it just before christmas at the so-called "traffic calming island" (traffic calming, my @r$e) just up the hill from the surgery - she was speeding at least 30% over the speed limit and paid no attention to her surroundings, she didnt pay any attention to my car coming up the hill when she totally misjudged the situation and ended up speeding on the wrong side of the road with no priority heading straight towards a car and giving my partner no time to stop and avoid a collision
- and she was driving through on her way home apaprently (this person works in bognor and lives in kent and drives through angmering to get home?!)
the pinch points have got to be removed (and that one in particular) before someone is more seriously injured
she's a very good example of why the pinch points need to go AND why something also needs to be done to stop people using angmering as a cut-through
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000