New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  22:16:04  Show Profile
I'd like to make a common sense reply to Angmeringpaul's question on the APC forum. (Not that APC's reply won't be a common sense one )

quote:
Can anyone at the council explain why the speed limit in Arundel Road increase as you approach a primary school?

Topic link -
http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1150

We have 3 schools; as you approach two of them from one direction, the speed limit drops. For the Angmering School it drops from 50 mph to 30 mph (which was reduced from 40 mph with the rest of the village "traffic calming" measures which included a 20 mph limit for the village centre) as soon as you join Station road from the A259 and for St Margarets from 60 mph to 30 mph on Arundel rd just before the pinch point. For the same two schools, as you approach from the other directions, the speed limit stays the same, 30 mph.

Continue past St Margarets on Arundel rd in to the village and the speed limit stays the same at St Wilfreds - 30 mph, but coming from the other direction, yes, it increases from 20 to 30 mph, which is the same as the other two schools.

Why should the speed limit at St Wilfreds be any different to the speed limits at the other two schools?

Edited by - BFA on 03 Nov 2011 22:22:05

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  23:37:45  Show Profile
bfa, perhaps you have not noticed, as it isn't that well signed, but outside st margarets there are school time 20mph signs, put in within the last couple of years, with flashing lights which the crossing lady switches on when she comes on duty.
the same thing is not in place for st wilfreds school as far as i know.
mind you, they make no difference at all, still plenty of people ploughing through there at ridiculous speed, flashing lights or not...
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  23:58:23  Show Profile
When the crossing lady is on duty - i.e. at school opening/closing times, you'd be lucky to average 15 mph along the whole length of Arundel road unless you were cycling!

Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  13:20:22  Show Profile
admitted, she is very proactive when it comes to getting children across the road - which is her job

(ie. she sometimes inadvertantly manages to block the traffic back a long way)

as a parent who drives and parks there every day i know from personal experience that when she is not stood in the road, the traffic does sometimes flow freely and plenty of morons do speed through there at 40mph plus

(and don't start moaning about driving short distances, i work and have a busy family and not enough time for leisurely strolls to school & back)
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  15:26:12  Show Profile
((as a parent who drives and parks there every day i know from personal experience that when she is not stood in the road, the traffic does sometimes flow freely and plenty of morons do speed through there at 40mph
(and don't start moaning about driving short distances, i work and have a busy family and not enough time for leisurely strolls to school & back)))

OMG and there was me thinking the 240 in her title was her age.....LMAO sorry felicia
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  17:05:22  Show Profile
I think the proactiveness of the lollipop lady would be negated if there were two lanes of traffic past the school (one either way, but due to mothers (and fathers) who are far too busy for a leisurely stroll to and from school, there is only one lane through there [;}]

Edited by - Karl@KCM on 04 Nov 2011 17:05:51
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  21:39:49  Show Profile
i think that if there were 2 lanes of free flowing traffic then the lollypop lady would need to be even more proactiev as people would be speeding more - at least the parked cars to prevent the idiots speeding when it's peak pick up and drop off times...
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  21:54:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 240felicia

i think that if there were 2 lanes of free flowing traffic then the lollypop lady would need to be even more proactiev as people would be speeding more - at least the parked cars to prevent the idiots speeding when it's peak pick up and drop off times...

Although it does mean driving on the wrong side of the road, in a similar way to you do past the rugby club
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000