APC waste
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  11:31:26  Show Profile
The recent minutes of the Policy & Finance committee read like something from "Yes Minister" with the amount of bureacratic hot air expounded but the way that APC continue to spend Residents money in such a cavallier manner is appalling.
£8265 on acoustics panels - why wasn't this dealt with by the original builder & who exactly benefits from it?
An increase of £10 precept for support of the library based on 260 people expressing their desire to keep the library.IWSCC rate it as a tier 6 library so is not regarded as an essential service & users could travel to neighbouring parishes where libraries are deemed more viable so why should Angmering foot the bill for such a small number of users?

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  16:08:17  Show Profile
Wow........not a happy bunny
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  17:08:41  Show Profile
Considering the price of books these days, £10 seems a small amount to pay for a wealth of literature. Of course, if you don't read .....
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  17:11:00  Show Profile
And, of course, the figure of 260 merely represents those who sent a form back. It's not a true reflection of those who use the library. Governments are elected on less.

Not that I wish to spoil the fun of those who gripe at everything.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  17:17:34  Show Profile
Travellers gone then?
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  17:49:06  Show Profile
So far as the Library is concerned; I rarely use it, but I fully support APC taking over responsibility for running it from WSCC, if necessary to keep it open.

I am one who returned the consultation form, supporting an extra £10 a year per household, on the Angmering precept of our Council Tax.

£10 a year per household, is less than 20pence a week. A village of over 8,000 people should have a Library, and like everything it has a cost. WSCC do not have the funds to pay for every facility.

So far as the Community Centre is concerned; I was one of many who were very much against this project. However, it has been built at substantial cost and is "water under the bridge." I have been to a couple of meetings in the main hall and the accoustics are poor for such a modern building.

My view is, that there may be questions to ask about the initial spec. in this regard, and who was responsible for this defect, (planners or builders) but there is little point in having a facility which cost towards £1million, but is sub standard in such an important aspect, if an additional cost of £8,265 will make the accoustics so much better. So I fully support this additional cost.
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  19:24:16  Show Profile
With regard to the Community Centre, the old saying 'Don't spoil the ship for a haporth of tar' comes to mind. Well said Bert.
The Library seems like very good value at 'up to £10'(The amount will surely depend on actual running costs). Not only have you got a massive selection of literature available but you have public access to the internet and,not forgetting,The Family Centre.
Now here's a thought....Sell the Council offices and move them into the library.............
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  21:08:12  Show Profile
From the travellers thread
quote:
Originally posted by BRAM

.......................the latest brainwave of purchasing the library to create a village hub.
Newsflash - Angmering is a comparatively small village & does not need these lavish & expensive projects particularly if, as is constantly spouted, that we wish to preserve the village ethos.The amenities bring in outsiders whose use is then subsidised by residents along with the accompanying inconvenience & damage.

From this thread
quote:
Originally posted by BRAM

WSCC rate it as a tier 6 library so is not regarded as an essential service & users could travel to neighbouring parishes

Maybe there are people with the same attitide in neighbouring parishes - a bit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meF7NmfnXZ0 ... especially 1 min 53 seconds in

Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  09:58:13  Show Profile
Plenty of kids use the library and for £10 it's well worth it. Lets encourage the locals to use it, especially the youngsters.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  12:19:22  Show Profile
BFA

The shop could well have been based on a local Angmering business.
Go to Top of Page

Trevors

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  21:57:46  Show Profile
£10 is a small price to pay to have the library. The atmosphere in Angmering must be preserved.

Trevor
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000