Parish Council Vacancy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  16:17:48  Show Profile
I see one of the recently elected Parish Councillors has resigned.

This is very disappointing, just a few weeks after the election.

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  19:51:47  Show Profile
Blimey, that was much quicker than I had expected.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  22:57:09  Show Profile
Yes, sad but very genuine.
With 13 Councillors, this is bound to happen from time to time.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  22:27:36  Show Profile
Heard tonight that another new Parish Councillor has resigned. I'll refrain from commenting further at this stage.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2011 :  18:16:33  Show Profile
Two resignations, within ten weeks of them asking us to vote for them.

Very poor show, unless there were exceptional reasons for standing down at such an early stage.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2011 :  23:06:35  Show Profile
Patty has said the 1st was genuine.

As for asking us to vote for them, as discussed here http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1041&whichpage=1 only one of them did any canvassing off his own back (and he has not resigned) - the rest made a resume for the APC website, and only because they were asked to; a couple also posted their same resumes on that thread.

The amount of applicants made the election necessary; not the applicants' desires.

Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  10:13:03  Show Profile
BFA. Applicants put themselves forward at election time, knowing there was a reasonable chance there would be an election. That being the case, they were asking us to vote for them.

There is no need to be so defensive. I feel this is disappointing for the Parish Council, as well as the residents. It must take time organising matters, changing the makeup of committees, and then co-opting other individuals. This is unfortunate for all.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  22:30:21  Show Profile
No defensiveness - but after Patty's reply the plural is still being used so you either believe her when she says the first resignation was 'genuine' and move on to the second one or ...... ?

Sure - they were 'asking us' to vote for them simply by putting themselves forward - it was 'the case' indeed - but more in your (and others') eyes than theirs, otherwise more than one would have done stuff off their own backs.

Only one of them did that - simples.

It could be worse too - two people have resigned and maybe were decent enough to do so instead of staying on to save face whilst contributing nothing. They will hopefully be replaced by two that will stay the course and contribute more.

Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2011 :  10:21:52  Show Profile
Yes, let's hope so.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2011 :  11:12:03  Show Profile
There appears to some coyness about who has actually resigned. The PC published on their website News Desk who was originally elected and has also published that there is a vacancy for "a councillor".

The PC amended the list of councillors on their website a little while ago so we know by deduction that Stephen Ash resigned first of all, but who is the second one to resign?

We voted these councillors in - should we therefore not be told who no longer is involved or will we have to wait until the next full Parish Council meeting? These things happen but it appears that the PC may feel that they will be criticised by parishioners (hence the lack of openness) but this is probably not the case.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2011 :  11:44:05  Show Profile
I can confirm there is no secrecy. The advertisement has already been put on the notice board on the PC wall, and the second resignation is from Don Harris.

More a case of old problem that we are slow sometimes in getting our website kept up to date. Another thing that is being addressed - eventually!

Personally sorry to see both of them go, but admire them for having the courage to step back and allow someone else to come in who may be able to devote more time to the job.

I understand people are already coming forward for the vacancies, so this has to be brillilant news and a great turn-a-round from the old days, when a resignation meant vacancies sitting for months, if not years!

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2011 :  12:18:57  Show Profile
"Personally sorry to see both of them go, but admire them for having the courage to step back and allow someone else to come in who may be able to devote more time to the job."

"Courage" ????

No disrespect Patty, you know that I am one of your supporters. But if the issue is, not being able to "devote more time to the job," one has to wonder what pre election planning and enquiries they made to ensure they have the time to give to this important responsibility, within ten weeks of having been elected.

So far as Don Harris is concerned, I believe he stood for Parish and District Council election in May. How would he have coped if he had been elected to District Council as well?

It is unfair on the two individuals who were unelected at the Parish Council election, that these two appear to have given little thought to how much time was involved.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2011 :  13:30:38  Show Profile
Bert - sorry, you take my words too literally.
Neither resigned due to time.

Both had personal reasons, which we must respect, but where they are to be admired is that instead of struggling on and possibly not being able to give their best, they both stepped down now to give time for new people to come in and be trained up.

Don attended all his meetings and even bothered to go to a training session for Councillors - he was serious about being a member.
I could certainly do with some of his energy!

Please, lets not damn those that try, lets give them some credit for trying.
We need to encourage and support.

Please.

Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2011 :  13:44:56  Show Profile
Patty, fair enough. You will see that I wrote on a previous post, that I thought it was "a poor show unless there were exceptional reasons for standing down at such an early stage."

If the reasons are exceptional, .......that could not have been known eleven weeks ago, ....that is clearly perfectly reasonable.

I'm sorry I took your "words too literally," I can only interpret what you mean, from what you say.

"Encourage and support," ...I'm with you.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2011 :  13:52:23  Show Profile
Thank you Bert.

I admit my original words were probably misleading, but hope we are on the same road now.

I can confirm the reasons would not have been known 11 weeks ago and are totally genuine.

Look forward from some davice from you shortly.

Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  12:26:44  Show Profile
I see that David Biss and Tony Shire have been co-opted onto APC.

It's good to be back to a full compliment of 13.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000