Travellers Again
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maza

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  17:07:10  Show Profile
Travellers have arrived, they are on the farmers field near the footpath by the traffic lights on the 259.

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  18:07:31  Show Profile
It looks like the start of a big group...hopefully the council are on the ball and will serve notice today or tomorrow to get them gone before the bank Holiday Weekend.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  19:11:49  Show Profile
Angmering Parish Council are fully aware of this development. However, this is on private land and I understand that Angmering Parish Council will not be involved unless the travellers move onto Mayflower Park.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  10:20:36  Show Profile
It sounds like they will be there until they have to go home for the new school year.....how nice!
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  09:11:51  Show Profile
This is Hargreaves' grazing land (for rent). Wonder what the charge will be?

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  09:14:35  Show Profile
Ha-Ha-Ha! Like it, Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Candice

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  09:31:07  Show Profile
The sooner they get rid of them the better. I was simply walking past and one of their dogs proceeded to run up to me and bark angrily. No one batted an eye-lid, I hope he's child and dog friendly, he certainly wasn't adult friendly.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  09:41:08  Show Profile
Welcome to the Forums, Candice.

Footpaths are located right next to the invaded site and pedestrians should not have to suffer threathening behaviour from dogs (or the occupants)!
Go to Top of Page

Candice

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  09:43:05  Show Profile
Absolutely agree, I'm a dog lover and very confident around dogs - but even this one frightened me.
Go to Top of Page

Candice

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  10:00:44  Show Profile
Am I correct in assuming that the owner of the land is the only body who has the right to complain and get something done about them?

You'll have to forgive me as my husband and I have only been living in the area since March, so I don't know the owners (Hargreaves?) - do they know about this violation on their land? Have they allowed it?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  10:29:58  Show Profile
Don't know the answer to your first question. Perhaps someone else can advise.

Regarding your other questions, Hargreaves are a local building company with their head office in Rustington. Knowing this firm (I have a Hargreaves-built house!), I cannot believe they would know nothing about the invasion of their property or would have allowed it. They have a reputation of being quite tough - hence Paul's comment above.
Go to Top of Page

maza

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  13:04:10  Show Profile
The Travellers have moved from the private land, onto land on the other side, not the first field on the right of the footpath but the second one.
Go to Top of Page

Candice

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  13:09:18  Show Profile
I will have to have a look on my way back from the station this evening.

If I recollect correctly, it appears a good couple of metres of fencing between the footpath and the field was removed when I walked by this morning. Perhaps it was always like that?
Go to Top of Page

ibel

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  13:22:04  Show Profile
They are definitely there hidden away, you are quite right Candice, the fencing is down, it was not always like that, they must have chopped it down last night maybe.

Edited by - ibel on 23 Aug 2012 13:34:23
Go to Top of Page

Candice

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  15:34:49  Show Profile
I see from from an old post in the forum that this happened last summer...

How long was it before they were moved on?
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  20:37:49  Show Profile
These are the same ones as last year and the year before..they must get rich pickings down here!
Go to Top of Page

Candice

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  21:05:10  Show Profile
I couldn't see them on either side of the footpath this evening, any ideas if they've moved somewhere close-by?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  21:44:21  Show Profile
There is another field to the west of the one which is immediately to the west of the footpath to BG. They are in there - saw the vehicles in there this eveing.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  21:48:07  Show Profile
Its seems that they are quite a decerning group and the open aspect of Hargreaves field was not in keeping with their desired pitch!!
Go to Top of Page

Candice

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  09:44:11  Show Profile
Hopefully it won't be long before they move on again. It's just such a shame that they'll leave broken fences and mess behind
Go to Top of Page

Crazypaving
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  12:03:35  Show Profile
You ain't seen nothing yet!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bluebell
Average Member

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  21:25:17  Show Profile
Quite amazing that they got moved on in a day from private land but council land takes a week or more!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  21:29:21  Show Profile
Were they moved or did they just decide to move themselves?
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  15:20:11  Show Profile
they are still there - the first hole they made in the fence has been blocked up, and they have now made another - they must be taking down fences, which surely is against the law - so getting them out should be easier - it is only very hard to remove them when they arrive on a piece of land, having caused no damage on entry?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  16:12:28  Show Profile
Yes, they are still there. I suppose they are reluctant to move from a piece of land where others cannot easily see what they are up to! 100 bags of rubbish had to removed from the Findon site earlier they vacated on Monday week plus a lorry load of tree cuttings. Don't want to think what waste they are dumping in the bushes!
Go to Top of Page

Bluebell
Average Member

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  21:14:21  Show Profile
I can never understand how they get away with the rubbish dumping every time. If one of us dumped or fly tipped we would be prosecuted pdq and how do they get away with the criminal damage they cause without prosecution? Anybody know?
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  21:42:16  Show Profile
Bluebell, I guess the first problem is having evidence of who actually dumped the rubbish - a bit like who did the damage - "not me, gov, already done when I got there". Secondly, (based on my own experience) they just move on and don't turn up at court.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

Candice

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  17:13:15  Show Profile
Such a shame... could you imagine the hell you would pay if their property was damaged?

I absolutely can't stand this 'travellers rights' nonsense - they get away with absolutely everything. Makes me sick!

I haven't been that way in a while, so I don't know if they are still there are not...
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  21:37:27  Show Profile
As a minority they seem to be able to be exempt from the law of the land...as are some other minorities.
Go to Top of Page

ibel

11 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  08:24:59  Show Profile
They were still there yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  22:19:46  Show Profile
They will be going back to their permanent site in the next few days in time for the children to go back to school.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  15:19:30  Show Profile
Looks like they have now gone.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  17:03:04  Show Profile
and no doubt left us their rubbish, as well as the vegetation and soil pollution
Go to Top of Page

Crazypaving
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  17:15:15  Show Profile
Does anyone know who the land belongs to? If it is private (think so) it might take quite a while for the owner to be bothered to clear it up. Good news for the rat and fox population! Not very nice for the school kids at Angmering School.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  19:29:18  Show Profile
I saw the clean up teams arriving this morning. It is a pity they can't track the greenery to the fools that employed them to cut it and give them the bill for its proper disposal.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  21:58:32  Show Profile
angmeringpaul - you have a point - however people will always go for the cheaper option. I am a licensed waste carrier and carry out house clearances and rubbish clearances - i am constantly losing trade to "cheaper" operatives. I have to pay a minimum to get into tips and get charged extra for tellys, matress's and pc screens - it is not a cheap service. Those who do offer the cheaper option dump their loads in fields, ditches and in some cases sites where caravans have been. All homeowners should ask to see the appropriate certification when having waste cleared. It costs the council a fortune to clear fly tipped material - a cost that is passed on to us all in community charge.

Edited by - compost on 05 Sep 2012 21:59:16
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  14:02:58  Show Profile
Hi Compost.

I an not sure the customers really get a cheaper deal. My understanding is that a "quote" for £50 becomes a demand for £500 once the job is done.

I always look for a local company 01903 01273 01243 number on the side of the van is a good start....a mobile contact number and I won't entertain them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000