New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2010 :  16:23:13  Show Profile
I have received a letter from someone wishing to know more about Major George Woodthorpe Chaplin MC, 5th Bn., Grenadier Guards, who was killed in Italy on 2 December 1944. There is a record of his death on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. There is no known burial site for him although he is commemorated on his parents gravestone in St Margaret's churchyard, the Angmering war memorial, and on the Cassino memorial.

Much, of course, is known and written about his father, Angmering's doctor Clement Woodthorpe Chaplin (1875-1949) who lived at Winona (now Chaplins) in the High Street for many years and who was also the chairman of Angmering Parish Council from 1921-1946.

George must have grown up in Angmering although no doubt he went to a private school further afield. I also know that he had a sister, Pauline. But that is all I know of George.

Do any of our older readers have any information about George?

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2010 :  16:49:49  Show Profile
Thanks to information found by Patty, I have been able to make contact with Major Chaplin's daughter who has provided information about her father including his Military Cross citation.

The information has been relayed to my correspondent who has now also been in contact with Major Chaplin's daughter. It appears that the former's father (now 87) was Chaplin's batman and was right by his side when he was killed.

In the next few weeks I hope to prepare a new article for the history pages which will predominantly contain information and reminiscences about George's father - Angmering doctor Clement Chaplin.

All in all a very satisfactory outcome.

For those interested in the MC citation, visit the AVL War Memorial page at:
www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/memorial.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000