New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tinklebelle
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  22:26:18  Show Profile
I've heard that next door to VirginActiv in the large empty building there is to be a Bowling Alley + Pizza cafe + Soft Play area for Children. This will be under the same ownership as Rustington Golf Centre. American Golf is just the 'shop'.

That will spice up the traffic trying to get on the Roundabout leading from The Golf Centre/VirginActive which is already so congested that some people at rush-hours choose to drive along into Sainsbury's and turn straight out again just to safely get to the Windmill Bridge and Rustington !

Tinklebelle

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  22:42:54  Show Profile
Are you saying that some drivers take the Sainsburys slip exit and then pull back out on to the road again? I've never seen that.

This roundabout is much better now that the Sainsburys exit/entrance is traffic light-controlled and far less congested, due to being dual carriageway each side, than the station road and roundstone lane roundabouts.

Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  07:25:33  Show Profile
A good indication of what you can expect at Station Road and Roundstone Lane roundabouts if A259 is dualled.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  15:22:05  Show Profile
Yes, it's common sense really - a queue of traffic a kilometre long on a normal road, in theory, would be 500m long on a dual carriageway - and moving up to twice as fast past roundabouts etc. Hope it happens - may make the bypass route more attractive than the village through-route and if that happens maybe they'll get rid of the pinch points.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  17:36:26  Show Profile
Traffic won't be able to exit the By-Pass either. Absolutely no winners other than those on the A259 already.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  22:10:25  Show Profile
So, more winners!
Go to Top of Page

NickR60
Average Member

46 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  16:05:15  Show Profile
Personally I want the 259 dualled, and I live in Angmering. The road is far too congested at peak times and really needs updating IMO. The way to combat problems (as they already are) of exiting Roundstone Lane & Station Rd is to add some peak time traffic lights such as those on some motorway slip rounds that change lights quickly. This seems to work on busy motorways keeping the traffic flowing, so I don't see any reason why it won't work for Angmering.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  17:51:01  Show Profile
Presumably at the bottom of the By-Pass as well? Same problem exists, which is why people prefer to divert through the village.
Go to Top of Page

rogp

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2014 :  10:27:11  Show Profile
Derek, you seem to have a problem with dualling the 259 as you menton it every time it comes up.......I just don't see it. I agree with BFA and NickR60 it seems a no brainer really. Whenever you get 2 lanes going into 1 you get congestion at busy times...for example into Arundel from the Fontwell direction, however I do think the exits and entry points etc have be to managed properly rather than a cheap option. Also I think, contrary to the point above, one of the main reasons the By pass is under used is because of the single lane section past Haskins, traffic flow is just too slow, this should be quickened by the extra lane. Interesting debate though.
Go to Top of Page

seagull
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2014 :  14:58:51  Show Profile
Everyone agrees that the A259 requires dualling now, between Station Road and the by-pass, whether any new development is agreed or not.
Traffic lights would also be required, at peak times, otherwise access onto it from Station Road, Roundstone Lane or the by-pass would be
difficult. This would also help stop Angmering village being used as a rat-run. However, if any development is agreed, east of Roundstone
Lane, any Section 106 money, from the developers, SHOULD NOT be used towards the cost of the dualling. This traffic congestion exists already.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2014 :  19:20:22  Show Profile
I'm obviously fighting a losing battle here but I'll give it another go.
I totally accept that iof you are travelling on the A259, East or West, then the current single lane section between Station Road and the By-Pass does cause hold-ups, not helped at peak times, incidentally, by the Pedestrian lights on that particular section which are used by Angmering School pupils at at time to coincide with peak traffic flow.

That said, my concern with the dualling solution is not related to East/West traffic but totally to do with access onto the A259 from the By-Pass, Roundstone Lane and Station Road. At each of these entry points, particularly Station Road, you can only gain access because traffic has to bunch and realising their exit is blocked allow cars to enter the roundabout. If traffic on the A259 maintains a steady stream
access could become well nigh impossible. Those advocating traffic lights also realise this problem.

Sorry to be pedantic about this but I remain resolute in my belief that dualling is not a solution for Angmering residents. I welcome alternative views backed up by factual evidence.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2014 :  22:39:32  Show Profile
If the bypass roundabout was controlled by part time traffic lights but not the Station road roundabout - as things are now or if the 259 was dualled - would that help, would that make the bypass more attractive? The two options would be take your chances through the pinch points and the station road roundabout or know you'd get your fair chance with a green light at the end of the bypass.

That's travelling N-S mind - might not make a blind bit of difference S-N ..... unless, maybe, the 259 was dualled. It's not distance that's the problem (and the difference between the two routes is negligible) it's time.

Edited by - BFA on 15 Mar 2014 22:45:40
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2014 :  19:00:56  Show Profile
With the best will in the world, can't see Traffic Lights as acceptable addition to cost by WSCC.

And wouldn't lights only contribute to congestion on the very road the whole scheme is designed to improve?
Go to Top of Page

rogp

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2014 :  09:39:57  Show Profile
So Derek, as you are not keen on any of the above what would you do?
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2014 :  17:44:53  Show Profile
Don't think I said I wasn't keen on Traffic Lights. Just that the idea is probably a financial non-starter and, in any event, seems to defeat the object of trying to improve traffic flow.

Getting rid of the pedestrian lights might be an interesting experiment, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain the benefits of A259 dualling to Angmering residents.
Go to Top of Page

rogp

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2014 :  18:29:41  Show Profile
Apologies I meant you weren't keen on what has discussed so far re the dualling, etc. not necessarily the lights. Not sure how much lights would cost, however loads of money would have to be spent on things like,
enlarging the roundabouts themselves to accomodate the dual carrigeway,
widening exit/entry points to assist traffic flow,
replacing the footbridge near the station rd roundabout with one for the addition road width,
new asda style entry lights and runoff at the Haskins entrance, for right turns from the east side, not sure how lowertrees nursery would get anybody in.
the pedestrian lights you speak of would need work done or getting rid of, like you I agree they are a pain in the &&&& at school times for cars but not for safe crossing for the school kids themselves
As well as the obvious cost of the road itself and moving of street lights etc

Thats just off the top of my head, probably loads more. Surprised some of the environmentalists havent mentioned the trees and hedges that would most likely have to be chopped down as well.

If done on the cheap it has the makings if a real dogs dinner, done properly and the proposal of the newlink road from roundstone lane to the bypass through the new houses it has to be a better bet than what we have now.

Looking at it from another way, had the 259 been dual carrigeway all the way through from the time it was originally built, I can't imagine we would be debating the merits of putting a single carrigeway section in to assist traffic flow in the area. So it must work both ways.

Have you any other/better ideas or thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2014 :  19:34:54  Show Profile
Think you've covered the points well, all of which would have to be taken into consideration. Going back to basics you have to ask what is considered to be the objective of the change? It can only be to speed up traffic flow East/West and vice versa (North/South and vice versa has seemingly been left out of the consideration).

Is it worth doing for easing traffic flow purely at peak periods? Every road is busy at that time, some with higher priority than the A259 I would suggest.

You've set off another interesting line of discussion - the exit from any Roundstone Lane development onto the A280. Yet another set of traffic lights? The majority of traffic exiting would travel North I would think. But what about returning? Lights on the southbound lane to facilitate re-entry, as per Sainsbury's and Asda or the alternative to go down to the roundabout and return northbound?

So many considerations and very few answers - not yet at any rate.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  00:00:06  Show Profile
Authorities have ... or should have .. an obligation to keep traffic flowing, for many reasons, not least of all environmental.

In these very strange parts of the world drivers are offered two routes, both of which provide more fuel consumption than when it was one route, because, whichever route you opt for, you'll take more time and/or burn more fuel than you would have before the bypass/pinch point/20mph zone that no-one's ever been fined for exceeding .... were introduced.

The bypass was built by a developer - we wuz conned, simples. We, as a village, are suckers - we've allowed ourselves to become a place that is not just bad to get through (even if it's only slightly better than the alternative route) but also a place that is bad to get TO!

Edited by - BFA on 20 Mar 2014 00:01:37
Go to Top of Page

lizh
Average Member

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  12:19:12  Show Profile
well i think the new facilities sound fabulous and look forward to them
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2014 :  15:13:41  Show Profile
a big roundabout was removed near the big tesco north of portsmouth and was replaced with lights which if, i recall correctly, dramatically improved the traffic flow. it just has to be done right. bowling alley and soft play sounds great.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2014 :  09:27:55  Show Profile
I think that traffic lights sound like a good idea. It would certainly stop drivers turning right from left hand lanes as is common (bad) practice from the windmill bridge approach.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2014 :  09:38:44  Show Profile
Traffic lights everywhere are the first step down the road to creeping urbanisation. Be careful what you wish for.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2014 :  13:04:58  Show Profile
I think if drivers can't adhere the very basics then the inconvenience of traffic lights is something I could live with.
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  16:58:58  Show Profile
Derek, the first steps you speak of must have been taken long before I moved here - I would hardly call this area rural, it's like a spread out suburban sprawl pinned between the Downs and the English Channel Traffic lights are not going to make it worse
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  06:33:23  Show Profile
Don't think I've used the word 'rural'. Most people living in Angmering still appreciate its village atmosphere. All I'm saying is that changes such as those being suggested will only erode any remaining vestiges.

Any way, we're not just talking about traffic lights on one junction. It's grown during this thread to Windmill Bridge, Station Road, Roundstone Lane and the By-Pass. That's in addition to Sainsbury's and the Pedestrian Crossing. Seems to me to be completely contradictory to the stated objective of speeding up traffic flow.
Go to Top of Page

CatNip

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  11:42:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rogp

Apologies I meant you weren't keen on what has discussed so far re the dualling, etc. not necessarily the lights. Not sure how much lights would cost, however loads of money would have to be spent on things like,
enlarging the roundabouts themselves to accomodate the dual carrigeway,
widening exit/entry points to assist traffic flow,
replacing the footbridge near the station rd roundabout with one for the addition road width,
new asda style entry lights and runoff at the Haskins entrance, for right turns from the east side, not sure how lowertrees nursery would get anybody in.
the pedestrian lights you speak of would need work done or getting rid of, like you I agree they are a pain in the &&&& at school times for cars but not for safe crossing for the school kids themselves
As well as the obvious cost of the road itself and moving of street lights etc

Thats just off the top of my head, probably loads more. Surprised some of the environmentalists havent mentioned the trees and hedges that would most likely have to be chopped down as well.

If done on the cheap it has the makings if a real dogs dinner, done properly and the proposal of the newlink road from roundstone lane to the bypass through the new houses it has to be a better bet than what we have now.

Looking at it from another way, had the 259 been dual carrigeway all the way through from the time it was originally built, I can't imagine we would be debating the merits of putting a single carrigeway section in to assist traffic flow in the area. So it must work both ways.

Have you any other/better ideas or thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

CatNip

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  12:08:39  Show Profile
Still unused to the boards and I apologise for the confusion that may have been caused by simply quoting rogp above.
I would go on to quote this too "the current single lane section between Station Road and the By-Pass does cause hold-ups, not helped at peak times, incidentally, by the Pedestrian lights on that particular section which are used by Angmering School pupils at at time to coincide with peak traffic flow" intending to make the point that I feel you are focussed on the issue of reducing queue times and discounting the needs of others.

The crossing provides a critical safe route over the A259 throughout the day for the school students you mention but also the elderly, dog-walkers, parents with young children, cyclists, skateboarders to name just a few; in fact for anyone wanting or needing to get across without having to make the double journey to get to and from the footbridge.

I'm not intending this as rant but I would think that the crossing, which stops traffic for a very brief time, is less of an issue than the traffic turning right across the flow into Haskins.

My, admittedly somewhat facetious, solution to reduce congestion would be to restrict single occupant cars to off-peak times. :0)
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  16:23:13  Show Profile
No-one is suggesting doing away with the pedestrian crossing. It clearly serves a purpose for the reasons you list.

The point being made, however, was that its existence contributes to the hold ups along the single carriageway section. Interesting to consider what would be constructed if dualling was enacted. Another bridge perhaps?

Now there's an idea. Just build a bridge and leave everything else as it is!
Go to Top of Page

CatNip

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  18:47:50  Show Profile
Would have put a smiley in response if I knew how
Go to Top of Page

lizh
Average Member

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  17:01:59  Show Profile
No point in building a bridge unless you make it so there is no option but to use it. It amazes me how many people insist on crossing the road instead of using the bridge. I don't stop for them on principle. It is sheer laziness.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  17:42:55  Show Profile
CatNip, to the left of box in which you compose your message/reply, just click once on the required smiley and it will put it in your message! It will appear as a colon and bracket, but the full smiley can be seen when you post your reply or preview it. Simples!
Go to Top of Page

Bluebell
Average Member

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  21:37:11  Show Profile
Theodolite activity seen in two places along the A259 today. Could just be for resurfacing but maybe.....!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000