Angmering Village Life Website - Forum
 spam sent via this website
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  21:37:07  Show Profile
message from former user anthonyhemsley to you Neil - if you're going to block people from your forum, can make sure that you don't 2 years down the line allow people to send them spam to their personal email via your webssite.

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  21:40:43  Show Profile
> Sent From Angmering Forums by rose3030
>
> Hello
>
> You received the following message from: rose3030 (rosefrank111@yahoo.com)
>
> At: http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/forums/
>
> LETTER OF ASSISTANCE
> Miss Rose Frank
> Abidjan ( Cote d' Ivoire)
>
> Dearest One,I am Miss Rose Frank My parents Mr.and Mrs.Frank Kamprad were assassinated here in IVORY
> COAST. Before my father's death he had (USD$7.9M) Seven Million Nine Hundred Thousand United State
> Dollars deposited in a bank here in Abidjan.
>
> I want you to do me a favour to receive these funds to a safe account in your country or any safer
> place as the beneficiary. I want to come over to your country for the safety of my life from the
> hands of this wicked assasins.I have plans to do investment in your country, like real estate and
> industrial production.
>
> This is my reason for writing to you. Please if you are willing to assist me,reply me with your
> phone number. I long here in Benin Republic because of 2010 crises that happen to my city Abidjan,
>
> Sincerely yours,
> Miss Rose Frank,
> +22968153929,
>

hello nice to meet you ;o)
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  22:00:35  Show Profile
If the username is "Anthony" is he really blocked? His last post was March last year and there was nothing offensive etc in that.

http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1247

Edited by - BFA on 14 Jun 2013 22:02:01
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  09:56:41  Show Profile
You are quite right BFA. "anthony" was never properly blocked (my lack of system knowledge at the time). When he popped up again last year, like you I was surprised but, as his comments were reasonable, I decided to let him remain as a member.

Anthony knew quite well that he was still able to post under his own membership but decided to use the log-on and password of another member to show his old aggression - he could have drawn this spam/scam to my attention by an email direct to me.

Blocking a person will still mean that they could get scam emails if these Forums are attacked - which they have done on only a couple of occasions. Deleting a member is quite different - it means all their postings are deleted as well. I have no intention of deleting Anthony as people should not forget the hurtful right-wing aggressive comments he made a couple of years ago about people less well-off than himself and which can still be found in the Forum archives. Also, if a person's postings are deleted, it makes other members' comments on those postings seem strange or out of context.

Regarding the spam/scam emails from "rose3030", this seems to be a person who gains access to forums by personally joining them and then hacking into the database containing email addresses. It is unlikely to be a robot as the AVL Forums employ a "Captcha" system to prevent this, meaning an individual has to personally apply for membership. "rose3030" has now been deleted from the membership and also filtered from not joining in that same name again - that is all I can do.

I would apologise to members who have received a scam email but I think most would be savvy enough to know about this type of scam that has been invading our mail boxes for many years. Those who did not get one (myself included) was probably the result of using a spam filter. Many ISPs provide them as part of their service while others may charge a small annual fee.

I believe in responsible free speech. I do not necessarity agree with every statement made in these Forums and do not expect everybody to agree with me
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  19:54:41  Show Profile
Neil - Anthony did not use my login - he asked me to post - he thought that he was not allowed on the site, perhaps he was mistaken but that is no reason to be so rude as to accuse him of the various things your above post does accuse him of.

As for him being a right wing person, well that's quite hilarious, you could not be much further from the truth!

I am a member of lots of online forums and never have I ever received spam messaged directly via a forum other than yours - may I suggest that you look into implementing a more secure setup than that which you currently have in place - you have people's personal data stored in relation to this forum, and as presumably you are the website administrator and owner, it is your responsibility to keep it secure, and prevent unauthorised use of any personal data of the members.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  22:23:49  Show Profile
Personal data wasn't used, OK you RECEIVED the spam to your email address but the spammer sent it indirectly, you'd have to reply by email to give the spammer that info.

The spammer was a member and once s/he was found out the account was deleted but s/he could probably quite easily re-appear via a different email address/ISP.

I'm also a member of other forums and some are huge and extremely active; they have TEAMS of moderators/administrators ... and I've had spam emails and PMs via them, they've also posted on those forums with their own links to dodgy goods/services, not many and they've been dealt with in the same way as this one has.

I also get fairly regular spam via my own website enquiry form but what that and the above has in common with your situation is the spammer does NOT have access to personal info.

Neil does a great job with this forum and the AVL website in general - every village should have one and I think you're on you're own on this :-)

Edited by - BFA on 17 Jun 2013 22:28:28
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  16:23:09  Show Profile
Totally agree with BFA.
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  18:18:05  Show Profile
of course you do
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  05:01:02  Show Profile
I also agree with BFA
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  21:15:44  Show Profile
Just need DD for a full house!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  17:09:04  Show Profile
A couple of members have told me today that they have received scam emails that appear to have come from these Forums and I think they are correct.

This time they have been sent by "rita01" or a Rita Adama as she/he registered here. It's probably the same person who registered as < rose30330 > in June

It is not a hacking of the database as I originally and incorrectly suggested in my posting of 15 June. When someone joins the Forums, they have the option of allowing other members to be able to send them emails. Not everybody opts for this but, if they do, they are able to receive and send emails from other members but they cannot see the actual email address.

This scammer < rita01 > did exactly that; they joined the Forums and appear to have sent the scam email to Forum members who have opted to receive emails. As I have not received one myself, maybe some ISPs have been able to filter out such emails as the text content is well known.

I have now blocked that scammer and, as an additional measure, I'm now personally vetting all new requests for membership, so this hopefully should not happen again. The option to register without vetting has been withdrawn.

It's very annoying, but will not affect your computer as these emails do NOT contain a virus - it's just the old "Nigerian 419" scam that most savvy people are aware of and have received dozens of similar emails over the years.

If you have received an email from < rita01 > or < ritaadama82@ yahoo.com >, I would suggest that you put their email address in your list of "blocked senders" and any further one will go straight into your Junk Mail. Additionally, you could go to your Forum "Profile" and change the option for sending emails.

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2014 :  14:03:10  Show Profile
I have had reports of further spam being generated via the Forums. I have to apologise for this. I had this problem back in the Summer caused by this so-called member "Rose Frank" and resolved the problem by vetting all new members rather than let them automatically register. However, because I had a problem with a valid person trying to register a month or so ago, I turned off the vetting function and forgot to turn the vetting back on again (now turned back on again).

It's the old "Nigerian" scam which most people are aware of and is not a virus, but still annoying. If you are still uncertain, you can stop this happening again by going to your profile in the Forums and turn off the option for receiving emails.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000