BT Infinity
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lindylou
Average Member

49 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  15:56:46  Show Profile
Recently had telephone call,email and 2x letters from BT stating that BT infinity fibre optic broadband is now available in the area and encouraging me to take advantage of it.

What are people's views or experience with Infinity??
I don't download large files, music ++ or films.

I would be grateful for any advice / pros&cons
Thanks
Linda

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  19:26:28  Show Profile
I have Infinity on order - due to be installed on 23 October.

I'm hoping that it will speed up my internet browsing and email uploads which have been quite slow with Demon, my present ISP. I have only been getting about 5Mb download and about 0.4Mb upload.

BT have suggested with Infinity that I might get up to 38Mb download and 9Mb upload speeds.

Demon has been a premium service - reliable but costly. With a new BT Infinity/Phones package, I am hoping to save about £10+ a month. Changing to BT will also give me access to 4 million wi-fi hotspots in the UK which I do not enjoy at present.

For me, it's a saving but for those already getting good broadband speeds and not downloading large files, music or films, it may be unnecessary and more expensive.

And, lindylou, you get a £50 Sainsbury's gift voucher for changing!!!!
Go to Top of Page

lindylou
Average Member

49 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  20:30:23  Show Profile
Thanks Neil
The speeds you're getting are about the same as I am with 'ordinary' Broadband. At first reading it appears it may only cost about £5 pm more so it may be worth it, however we all know what they say will be the price has a strange way of increasing when the first bill comes through !!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  18:31:59  Show Profile
Installation went smoothly today and Wi-Fi connection working perfectly. However, I have quite a complex ethernet wired network and that is currently not working, and I have some email connection problems with my new ISP (BT).

But I have been getting Wi-Fi connection speeds of around 15 to 27Mbps Download & 9Mbps Upload on my laptop and up to 33Mbps Download and 8.9Mbps Upload on my tablet. These speeds should, I'm told, improve over the next week.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  23:16:29  Show Profile
It appears I might have a faulty plug on the ethernet cable from BT Hub to ethernet switchbox. A new temporary cable has been rigged and I'm now getting 37Mbps Download and 9Mbps Upload speeds on Day 1, which were nearly the figures I was promised by BT when I applied for BT Infinity a couple of weeks ago. Hope this helps those who are undecided on whether to upgrade or not.

Linda, are you are sure you are getting near to 9Mbps UPLOAD speed with BT. My understanding was that the maximum standard UPLOAD speed with BT Broadband is only 448Kbps or 0.448Mbps. My new upload speed is 20 times faster than that.
Go to Top of Page

lindylou
Average Member

49 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  12:36:27  Show Profile
Checked again and upload speed is apparently 0.8mb. I know nothing!! and either hit the wrong key or left the decimal point out. Thanks for help, and I'll probably go ahead and change
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  20:04:13  Show Profile
Yes, 0.8Mbps could be your maximum upload speed. BT Infinity is 10 or 11 times faster.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebell
Average Member

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  13:05:54  Show Profile
Waited until Neils system was installed and proved.Let him discover the pitfalls
My BT Infinity installed on 30th November.
All working perfectly.
Download speed 37.6 Upload 8.3.(1st December)
The engineer who installed my system had to juggle the house phone
wiring.
Had to move the main incoming telephone feed socket from the original position adjacent to the front door to the lounge and
fit a rather chunky new phone socket as close to the 2 X 13 amp power sockets, router and wifi as possible.This has to be done
As all house types will have different telephone wiring installations, the engineers do not know what is required until they do an initial inspection on the day of installation.
The whole process took about 2 hours.
The engineer was informative and efficient.
I can now fall off my surf board at high speed. "YI HA"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000