Angmering Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Angmering Parish Council (Category)
 APC Question & Answer - Forum (SUSPENDED)
 Pinch Points/Traffic Calming
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DEGOO
Average Member

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  11:11:56  Show Profile
I know this is an age old discussion now, but i think it really does need to be revisited.

The general idea and concept of the pinch points I can cope with, but the placement of the pinch points outside the Angmering School and just before The Angmering Medical centre leave alot to be desired!

The one outside the Angmering School is too close to the school entrance and often you get people launching themselves at you from the side road as you pass this pinch point, its almost a challenge as to whether thay can block your path or not!

The one on the hill by The Angmering Medical centre just needs removing full stop! Quite often I find leaving the village centre to be a lottery as to whether I will come face to face with someone who didnt see me for the traffic they were behind, or again just feel like a quick race around the pinch point. Its too close to a junction, its poorly sited on a curved road giving reduced visability of the oncoming traffic and is probably less than 200metres from the next pinch point! Remember we are trying to go 'green' in this country, well think about the extra fuel used stop/starting through the village..........

Chair 2011/12
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  14:02:47  Show Profile
The pinch-points were introduced by West Sussex County Highways Department to try and ‘calm’ traffic as it approached the 20mph area in the centre of the village. There are many such mechanisms that are designed to slow traffic speeds and pinch-points are considered to be one of the most ‘cost effective’ ways of doing this. As far as the introduction of such measures is concerned, the Parish Council does not have any more say in what or where measures are placed than a member of the general public as West Sussex staff take the view that it is their responsibility to arrange and install anything on the highway.

The Parish Council, through its Highways Committee have pointed out to West Sussex, on a number of occasions that the pinch-points are not satisfactory, for most of the reasons outlined in your statement. The answer has generally been they are there to stay and nothing else will be done, which has been frustrating for a large number of parish councillors in recent years.

In the world that we now find ourselves, with the Big Society ideas now supported by the Localism Act, the Parish Council has instigated the production of the proposed Community-Led Neighbourhood Plan and has a Roads and Transport Working Group which is tasked with defining what you, the Community, want done about things like this.

This will give the Parish Council, when the Plan is in place, a much greater voice in trying to get a better solution for this obvious problem. The Working Group has already identified that the removal of these pinch-points is one of its priorities, and it is possible that this will be reflected in the final plan. Alternative, more acceptable, methods of achieving speed reductions will also be part of the plan and, once that has been formally accepted by the Community, by means of a referendum, West Sussex will be required to act upon it.

In summary, the Parish Council agrees with most of the points made and is doing what it can to put pressure on West Sussex to change things. If you feel strongly about this, then please join the working party and have your say. If the Community gets behind the plan then we can really make a difference on issues like this.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your observa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000