New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2011 :  09:20:33  Show Profile
Interesting minute from councils Highways Committes last meeting.....any comments?????

Council Leverick said that at last nights’
Parish Council meeting, District Councillor Julie Hazlehurst said she
was against the dualling of the A259.
Noting the undesirable incidenceof both cars and HGV traffic using Station Road/Arundel Road and Water Lane/Station Road as cut throughs between the A27 and A259 due to the current bottlenecks in the single carriageway sections of the A259, and the Committee’s previous input to WSCC Highways on Action 2 the desirability of dualling, the Committee expressed concern at the
apparent pre-determination implied and agreed that further explanation should be sought from District Councillor Hazelhurst.

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2011 :  22:32:28  Show Profile
Sorry...maybe its too late to be reading postings but that doesn't mean anything to me! Can someone translate?
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  00:26:23  Show Profile
It seems that Julie Hazelhurst said she was against making the A259 a dual carriageway with little or no elaboration, and 'the committee' - after elaboration on their reasons why they are for it, want her to elaborate.

FWIW - I think it would help, but between the bypass and station road, there'd still be 3 roundabouts to negotiate versus one if you came through the village, plus the village will always be the best 'cut through' between the A27/259 - even with the pinch points, because it is the closest, and at most times the quickest route to a bridge over the railway line as opposed to a level crossing that's down more than it's up (Wick)

So they either by-pass the village so it spills out on the Sainsburies roundabout or the bodyshop roundabout, or carry on whining.

Edited by - BFA on 14 Jul 2011 00:29:54
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  05:52:19  Show Profile
In theory we have a bypass, trouble is its past the shortcut through the village. I sincerely believe the A259 should be dualled from old Texaco roundabout to bypass roundabout.This would speed up the flow of traffic and make it quicker for those wishing to access the A27 via bypass rather than suffer the pinch points through the village.

It may aslo be prudent to consider traffic light control at old Texaco roundabout during peak times. This would also require the removal of the pinch point outside Angmering School which is a nightmare at peak times.

The traffic flowed better and more safely when it was not there. If there must be a pinch point in that area it needs to be 50 yards past the school junction.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2011 :  09:50:16  Show Profile
Amazing...............30 odd comments about a soppy parking spot yet only one (from BFA) about a major access and safety measure.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2011 :  18:46:56  Show Profile
For what it's worth, when we purchased our first house in Downs Way in 1967, searches showed that there were plans to dual this stretch of the A259.

Traffic has increased significantly since then, so not sure why Cllr Hazelhurst is against dualling this road. However, perhaps businesses along the road have made representations to Mrs Hazelhurst against the proposal as it might affect their trade.
Go to Top of Page

lizh
Average Member

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  20:01:13  Show Profile
When I drop my son at the body shop nusery at 7.45am , then I drive to the office in Crawley, it is quicker to go along the A259 and up the bypass than it is tp go through the village. Honest, i've tried both!

I would love it to be dual carriageway though.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  23:58:14  Show Profile
Without the pinch points and all the parked cars on water lane it would be more of a toss-up, especially at that time of day - I'll take that route to get home (via dappers lane) most times of the day - that is - use the bypass to actually access the village!

But driving North to South you'd have right of way over traffic with parked cars on their side of the road on water lane and also on the 3 station road pinch points, and that being the case, most drivers that know the pros and cons will choose the village, simply because they want to spill out on to the 259 as late as they can because they don't know how busy the 259 is until they hit it, but driving South to North they can see how busy it is and if it's rammed they have the through-village option.

Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  06:06:39  Show Profile
I suppose one of the issues that may ease the eastbound access from the A27 will come if they ever build the Lyminster by pass which will bridge the railway line and avoid long waits at rail crossings.

This would obviously make for quicker access to Rustington etc. from the East. (and avoid an eight mile round trip detour to the Clapham Junction)

The parking in Water Lane, which I believe has already been discussed on this board, is I suspect predominantly down to BMW employees and spare BMW show cars.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000