New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2010 :  14:21:55  Show Profile
I've recently come into possession of a couple of photos of houses (now demolished I think), supposedly in Angmering, but I don't know where they were located.

The first is of a row of terraced cottages which can be seen by clicking on the following link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/forums/forum_pics/where01.jpg

The second picture is a photo of a single old cottage which can be seen by clicking on this link:

www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/forums/forum_pics/where02.jpg

Has anybody got any suggestions?

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2010 :  16:10:09  Show Profile
No suggestions - but what beautiful places to live, especially the second picture.
Go to Top of Page

doug

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2010 :  12:35:57  Show Profile
are these the position of the current cottages near eccleston manor
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2010 :  13:06:22  Show Profile
I don't think so. I did originally check against a modern photo. The chimney's do not tally either.
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2010 :  19:01:33  Show Profile
The second one kind of looks like it could have been near where the stables/ smallholding next to Heron's copse in Dappers lane is? If you consider the downward slope etc. ???

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2010 :  19:09:57  Show Profile
I deliberately did not mention it earlier as I did not want to influence anybody. However, there is a handwritten note on the back of the card that reads "Past the mill going to Highdown".

It certainly looks like Highdown in the background, but I cannot fathom it out. Could it have been on the lower track below Highdown or in Hangleton Lane immediately below the top of Highdown? It looks as if there were high banks each side of the lane/track.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  17:15:26  Show Profile
I've now had a suggestion, almost certainly correct, that the small row of cottages were located in Water Lane between Gladstone Cottages and the pathway to Greenacres Ring where a modern house is now built. The small barn at the far end appears to be drawn on both the 1876 and 1897 OS Maps.

Writing on the reverse of the card did actually suggest they were in Water Lane, but they did not correspond with the ones close to the corner with Dappers Lane (i.e. opposite the entrance to Weavers Hill). Both these terraced blocks appear to have been demolished c1937.

Here is the view again:
http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/forums/forum_pics/where01.jpg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000