Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rosebud
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  21:42:58  Show Profile
It took nearly half an hour for my partner to get from Rustington to Angmering this evening due to the amount of traffic trying to get into Angmering! He's convinced it's due to the pinch points and the traffic not being able to flow freely into the village. I know they've slowed down the traffic but at times it's at a stand still!

DEGOO
Average Member

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  09:58:38  Show Profile
This is not uncommon, they are an absolute nightmare at times. Also the amount of times I have seen near-misses at the pinchpoints, well i've lost count!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  13:11:43  Show Profile
I am pleased to see that the new style of pinch points are more pleasing on the eye. Has anyone else seen the one that looks remarkably like a grey 4x4 susuki in Nursery Road. Still a pain, but better to look at. Also the way in which it is sited, directly opposite a junction, puts a new slant on the stupidity of these items.
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  13:10:14  Show Profile
Had a flyer through the post the other day about the improvements to Nursery Road and traffic calming.

Pointless doing anything if the cars are still parked there.
Halcrow have completed a survey and put a proposal together. I called asking what time they did the survey as pointless during the day as it's normally quite clear. They didn't know what time which is a bit worrying. I've advised them that a survey should be carried out when the cars are parked there as this is the main problem. It's turn's in to a game of chicken, who's going to give way and who's going to make it to the gap in time.

Either, Nursery Road needs to be a No Parking road, as we all new when we bought our houses. Or you remove the trees along the Southern side of the road and make a long lay-by, still with no other parking!

It all comes down to the fact that the designers of the estate were stupid in designing the garage compound for the houses on the main through road, and laziness.

If you look at other houses on the estate were they have drives next to the houses, they don't park on the road (in most cases).
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  15:17:05  Show Profile
Great parking by a Volvo today to the east end of Nursery Road. Just past the pinch point on the other side of the Road. All cars snaking their way along in the slippery condition then had to avoid this car as well.
I'm sure the car in front of me clipped the back of it, can't be sure.
People don't seem to consider other people at all.
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  10:29:50  Show Profile
Another smash at the pinch point by mill road this morning! Car written off by the looks of it, and major distress to the driver by the looks of it. But I guess as no -one was killed, its okay, nothing will be logged and officially the pinch points cause no problems. Hooray for bureaucracy.

Isn’t it time we got rid of those bloody things before someone IS seriously hurt!!!!!

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  10:38:27  Show Profile
So right Jammer.
And because no one was killed (thank goodness) it wont go on record and because any damage to the pnch points themselves will now be repaired under the cars' insurance, it wont be registered either.
So.............you see it with clear eyes, but the officials wont accept it.
Everything about that pinch point has to be illegal, brow of a hill, on a bend, etc, yet it stays.

Its not even a common sense issue, its just downright dangerous.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  14:51:09  Show Profile
Patty, have APC made official written representation to WSCC about that particular pinch point?
Have they made official written representation to Deborah Urquart?
Have they made official written representation to Sussex Police Traffic Management?

If they have, what response have you had from them.

Are you saying that irrespective of what accidents / damage is caused at the scene, the general feeling of APC and the residents, that WSCC completely refuse to enter into discussions about it, with APC?
Go to Top of Page

Commuter

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  15:04:22  Show Profile
The only difference between the pinch points and the row of parked cars adjacent to Chandlers is that some people are incapable of using the pinch points properly. It's all about patience and not driving through the village as a short cut. The Mill road one should be moved as it is badly sited, but if the Village gets rid of the pinch points without a suitable alternative (variable speed cameras, perhaps?)then we'll just be back to the old position where the village was the main (quickest) route from the A27 to Rustington and Littlehampton.

Commuter
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  15:17:21  Show Profile
Bert, now this is purely my personal opinion and memory.

This was a bone of contention some time ago and representation was made to WSx first off re accidents. The report was, as I recall, no serious injuries so no problem.
Then they tackled it from the point of view of cost, i.e. everytime the pinch points were written off (in particular the ones in Water Lane). Repair costs were minimal as all accident repairs were recovered from the Insurers.

So, a bit of a stale mate.
It was decided for the PC to do their own survey and note any accidents that they could and they also made an appeal for anyone seeing one or involved in one to report to the ofice so they could log it.

Every time this subject rears its head, WSx seem to be able to fob it off with some reason or other.
My husband contacted them and complained on the grounds of all the carbon emission they were producing by the slowing and revving of cars. That was treated with total contempt.

Sounds like it could be time to start on this again, perhaps concentrating on just one of the pinch points rather than all.
So, the PC will need all the ammunition they can get to persue this, so perhaps if as many people could email or write in it will help them in taking the matter further.
As from past experience we found that petitions do not work as it is counted almost as one signature.
Also in the past I had a pile of letters in the shop for people to just sign and send off. That was refuted as well as the letters were all the same wording and I got a sort of telling off from WSx about it. Like I was bothered, but it just shows what you are up against.

The PC can possibly push this but need help from the public as it is them they are supporting.

Please remember common sense does not come into this!!

I will check these details with the Chair of Highways and see if I have my facts correct and if not, I will of course do my best to correct it.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

John
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
499 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  16:59:00  Show Profile
I'm repeating myself now as I put this story on the forums some time ago... however, as a reminder...

A couple of years ago I was in Santa Maria restaurant (now Shafiques) and got chatting to the guy at the next table. Turned out he was a senior officer with our local fire brigade. He told me that the brigade were sick and tired of having to turn out for accidents at the pinch points. They had put their points to WSCC but to no avail.
So if the council ignore the fire brigade they sure aren't going to take any notice of us are they.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  17:19:06  Show Profile
Hi all,

Could this issue be highlighted to a news show like Meridian Tonight (Fred Dinnage the legend) it would be good to see WSCC or whoever has the ultimate say - explain why it is in such a dangerous position.
It is the kind of story they deal with.

Good or bad idea !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  22:13:16  Show Profile
I read an interesting article in the Telegraph last year about traffic management schemes in Europe.

In Berlin for example (and I know you can't compare our little village to Berlin but anyway) there are gantries over some roads displaying a speed which varies depending on traffic volume. It's not a speed limit, it's a speed that if you stick to, you'll hit all the lights on green.

It was suggesting that the reason we don't have this, or this type of thing, is that our powers-that-be don't want you to to just sail through and use less fuel. They actually want you stopping and starting and having to use more fuel and therefore raise more revenue.

The village even with the pinchpoints, at most times of most days, is still the most attractive route from long furlong and the A27 to E. Preston, Rustington and Littlehampton and whether you use it or the bypass, it will take you longer and you'll use more fuel than you would have pre-bypass/pinchpoints and I don't care who you are, that's a step in the wrong direction.

The pinch points IMHO just like most speed cameras, are revenue raisers, both in increased MPG and repairs - they keep people in work.

I avoid entering the village via station road as much as I can and I live here, the alternative routes are just the lessers of that evil but still evil and people that don't HAVE to get here - e.g. shoppers can choose to shop in more accessible places, and I know many do.

It galls me that the very people whose wages I am contributing to via tax and non-domestic rates are physically hindering me from doing so, as well as making life a misery for those just trying to get from A to B via the quickest and most economical route.

Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  12:53:24  Show Profile
I may have suggested this before but didn't get a response:

would it not be sensible to replace the pinch points with some speed bumps which would force both lanes to slow down or damage their vehicles, whilst simultaneously keeping both lanes open and avoid the need for dangerous passing?

Please let me have your view on this.

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  15:02:34  Show Profile
Jammer,

Seems a good idea, be good to hear why they could not do this. I would have thought anything that keeps the traffic moving in both directions would be advantageous, the number of times I have seen drivers floor it just to squeeze through before oncoming vehicles block them (especially at busy times).
I think most of us try to be considerate, but have probably been guilty of this myself once or twice.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  17:57:39  Show Profile
Jammer,

Good suggestion but afraid speed humps are no longer 'legal'.
Too many problems for emergency services, so Council will not install any more.

Back to the drawing board!!

Go to Top of Page

Rosebud
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  19:27:19  Show Profile
What about average speed cameras? Put one in Station Road, one in Water Lane, and one in Arundel Road. That way anyone speeding through the village would get caught on the three main routes in and out of the village.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  20:36:53  Show Profile
That wouldn't work with all the stopping and starting you have to do between parked cars, you could still speed between obstacles, or even go and get your chips and then REALLY speed.

Average speed cameras are only any use on unobstructed roads, so, if there were no pinch points it would only be station road where they'd have any chance of being effective.
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  19:37:32  Show Profile
I've been told that there is a certain type of speed hump that deflates when passing over it at a reduced speed. Can't give you any more detail than that. Sounds ideal and too sensible to use in England.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  21:01:47  Show Profile
You're right, they do have them in parts of Wales though; they're called sheep
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  15:43:18  Show Profile
Now that is very funny.
Go to Top of Page

mark1234

9 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  21:18:23  Show Profile
I have posted this link so that people can read about the tragic accident caused by a build-out pinch point in the Leeds area.
WSCC seem oblivious to the danger they represent for some reason?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/March/mar3111-did-traffic-chicane-kill-bikers/
Go to Top of Page

jammer

172 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  07:21:47  Show Profile
Nearly got knocked off my bike at the Mill road PP on monday by some chav in a white banger. It was my right of way but they saw their gap, revved up, swerved out and went for it. I was quite shaken.

Still the main thing is, its making the roads safer eh?

Should I ride on the pavements now?

..//.//..//..//..
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  14:18:18  Show Profile
I like the new mobile 'pinch point' created at the hammerpot end of Arundel Road, its usually a grey volvo, you come round the corner off a27 and there are cars on the other side of the road heading directly at you due to this inconsiderate parking.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  21:08:13  Show Profile
I think the mistake is to try to make sence of the councils traffic strategy.

Where else in the country (probably in the world) does the speed limit actually INCREASE as you approach a primary school (as it does in Arundel Road)?

If they can't handle obvious issues there is little or no chance they will get their collective intellect around pointless and dangerous zig-zag lines and the absence of necessary parking restrictions on steep hills on bends as in the Street!
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  17:21:49  Show Profile
Has anyone else noticed what appears to be a camera at the pinchpoint by The Angmering School that has just appeared? It is facing south so may catch the tailgaters. Anyone any knowledge of it?

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  23:18:58  Show Profile
There's another one on the small green near our shop pointing up station road.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  11:48:26  Show Profile
I thought the one outside the school was pointing towards the school to record the ghoas there...I will look again.
Go to Top of Page

KeithS

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  12:24:38  Show Profile
There are actually 3 cameras, if that's what they are, near the junction of Greenwood Drive and Station Road and they seem to be pointing in different directions.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  14:34:05  Show Profile
The cameras that have gone up in the last day are for a new traffic survey by Barrett Homes. Understand WSCC have given their permission. The cameras will be up for one week.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  20:29:29  Show Profile
Thanks Neil, I noticed the other 2 at Greenwood Drive/Station road this morning.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  09:34:10  Show Profile
Surely Barratt homes would be better surveying Roundstone Lane/ High Street or is this an attempt to pre-empt discussions re their planning application. Trust not these developers. They WILL get their own way!!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  10:01:46  Show Profile
All is not lost, roosterbri. If there is sufficient support in the village, we could still defeat these people who want to plonk all these houses in Angmering purely for their own profit.

The concern at the moment seems to be the different opinions of the Parish Council and the SAV group which could result in two different referenda/surveys of public views!
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  16:53:17  Show Profile
If only we had a stated view from the PC. Currently, the silence is deafening.

And if there's a traffic survey to be done, surely it should be carried out by the local authority, not a company with vested interests in the outcome.

The odour arising from this situation is getting stronger by the day.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  16:56:16  Show Profile
Understand that the PC themselves were only notified of the cameras yesterday morning.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  19:18:01  Show Profile
So yet another example of the views of local residents being overriden by the WSCC
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  16:54:22  Show Profile
there's a camera on roundstone lane that doesn't seem to be mentioned here, appeared a couple of days after the others....
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  16:57:24  Show Profile
by the way, does someone own that stupid white honda half stuck out in the road in roundtstone lane outside the flats? - it is a total pain as it's blocking the traffic flow and ought to be moved by whichever thoughtless person has left it there...
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  18:30:10  Show Profile
Should be double yellow lines all the way along Roundtsone Lane.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  19:12:03  Show Profile
I haven't seen the Honda...not sure where there are any flats in Roundstone Lane either!?
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  21:52:26  Show Profile
hmm, i think they are flats, maybe they are maisonettes, but it's called Dane Acre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000