Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jen

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  15:12:53  Show Profile
I've been trying to trace the birth of my ancestor, Samuel Guile, who was married in Poling in 1797 to Elizabeth Moody of Littlehampton and eventually settled in Broadwater. I was very interested to read in R W Standing's article 'When the Lamb became a Lion' that there is a will for a Thomas Guile dated 1770 who was a brewer by trade as at least 2 of Samuel's sons were brewers in Heene. I'm sure there must be a connection here and wonder if Mr Standing has access to a copy of this will? i would love to see if there are any references to Samuel or any other clues.

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  16:52:58  Show Profile
Jen,
Mr Standing took extracts from the Will at the West Sussex Record Office but does not have a copy of the Will itself. He extracted all the useful information from the Will. As he let me have a copy of the extracts, I will email them to you separately.

It appears that Thomas Guile was unmarried. His property was left to his brother John and then to his nephew Thomas Guile of Arundel. He also had a brother, William. Unfortunately no mention is made of a Samuel but, nevertheless, he may have been related to him in some way.
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  11:10:53  Show Profile
Jen

Having a problem sending a reply

Trying this note to see if it works
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  11:15:17  Show Profile
Well that worked so here goes.

I have been researching my family history for some time and can confirm I am a direct descendant of Samuel Guile and Elizabeth (nee Moody)

Samuel was baptised at Billingshurst in 1765 and was the second of four children, all born out of wedlock, to Jude Guile.

Jude was also baptised at Billingshurst in 1737 and was the fourth of five children born to John Guile and Margaret (nee Ford) who were married at Poling in 1729.

Lots more info if you are interested.

All the best

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Jen

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  23:45:40  Show Profile
Derek, I'm very interested in the info. you have on the Guiles and have sent you an e-mail message. Let me know via this forum if you don't receive it.
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  18:47:22  Show Profile
Jen

Message received. Will pass on the info asap

Derek
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  16:05:10  Show Profile
Jen

At last I have found time to start sending some of thwe information I hold regarding the Guile family.

I have quite a lot of info dating back to circa 1550 at Cuckfield but for the time being I think it would be best if I provide deatails from 1701 onwards as this is the earliest date I have been able to trace the name Guile appearing in any of the Parish Registers for West Sussex. Naturally I have not checked them all but I think I must have looked at about 30 or so parishes. Prior to 1701 I believe the family name was Geale. I also have some info on the Guile family at Angmering during the 18th century (extracted from the Parish Register) and it could be relevant to the superb article 'When the Lamb Became a Lion' that RW Standing wrote and posted this site.

However I will start at 1701. The first appearance of the current spelling of Guile seems to be at Patching. The Register records the baptism of John Guile, son of John and Elizabeth, in 1701; his brother Richard was baptised in 1703.

I believe that John (B1701) married Margaret Ford (Baptised at Littlehampton 1706) at Poling on 6th May 1729. They raised 5 children; Ann was baptised at Poling on 31st August 1730. She married John Ruff of Slindon at Arundel in 1769.

John was baptised at Poling on 5th October 1732. He subsequently married Judith Keene at Lyminster in 1756. I have details of their children and will provide them if you would like.

Henry was baptised at Poling in June 1734. I believe he did not marry and was probably buried at Lyminster in 1821.

I then believe the family then moved to Billingshurst, presumably in search of work, where their fourth child, Jude, was baptised on 31st August 1737. Jude was a most unfortunate woman who obviously fell on hard times and spent some considerable time in the Poorhouse. Again I have details of her visits to the Poorhouse, and those of her younger brother Richard, (and those of her youngest daughter Martha), but will not post them here. I am happy to provide those details if you so wish. Jude had four children, all born out of wedlock and died in 1784 just after giving birth to her fourth child. Her third child was Samuel, baptised at Billingshurst on 27th January 1765, and it is Samuel who continued the family line.

The last child born to John and Margaret was Richard who was baptised at Billingshurst on 17th July 1741. He later married Mary Snow (baptised at Cowfold in 1749) at Poling on 29th October 1785. He was buried at Poling on 4th May 1804. His wife Mary was buried at Poling on 26th July 1812.

Sometime after 1741 John Guile (B1701) and Margaret moved back to Poling where on 6th August 1749 John was was buried. Margaret his wife Margaret was also buried at Poling on 26th November 1761.

I will now start to prepare the posting for Samuel and his family, but for the time being I will sign off. If I have got any of the above information incorrect please please let me know.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  16:23:04  Show Profile
Jen,

Something i should have pointed out last week but totally forgot. I have found another descendant of Samuel and Elizabeth. Her name is Mandy Willard, I believe she lives at Bexhill, and is also carrying out research on the Guile family. She can be contacted on the following website; www.mandywillard.co.uk/surnames/guile/family.htm

Well worth visiting this website.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  20:26:53  Show Profile
Jen,

During my research of the Guile family I have examined the Parish Register and I belive that Thomas Guile ,mentioned in the article by RW Standing, may have been married. In March 1729 there is a baptism of Thomas son of Thomas.

His older brother John to whom he seems to have left his property, was definitely married. The Register records his marriage to Sarah Goble in 1720, and there follows several references to the baptisms, and unfortunately burials, of his children.

I also have some references that I am having difficulty in tying in to the family history. In 1736 there is a burial of William, son of Henry Guile of Ecclesden. Where does Henry come into it?

In 1731 there is a burial of Grace wife of William Guile. How does this William come into it?

In 1733 there is a marriage at Poling between William Guile and Sarah Hopely. The Bondsmen for the wedding were William, as Groom, and John Guile of Poling, whom I assume to be the John Guile baptised at Patching in 1701 and who married and lived for a few years at Poling. I assumed that this William was the brother of John (B1701) but he may have been a cousin; if he was a cousin then I belive that would make him a brother of Thomas (and John who I think was baptised at Findon in 1682). I have been unable to locate a baptism of a William Guile circa 1690-1700.

Please, can anyone help me?

Derek

Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  17:03:05  Show Profile
Jen

Samuel was baptised at Billingshurst on 27th January 1765. Elizabeth Moody was baptised at Littlehampton on 21st March 1774. They married at Poling, where I believe Samuel was living with his uncle Richard, on 4th October 1795.

Their first child was William who was baptised at Poling on 26th November 1798. The second child was Reuben who was baptised at Poling on 16th June 1801. The third child was James who was baptised at Poling on 27th April 1803. The first daughter, Amy, was baptised, also at Poling, on 28th April 1805.

The family then moved to Broadwater where Richard was baptised on 18th September 1808. Harriet was next and she was baptised at Broadwater on 13th November 1814. She was followed by the last of the children, Elizabeth, who was baptised at Broadwater on 29th March 1818.

Sometime after the birth of their last child, probably when all children had left home, Samuel and Elizabeth moved to the village of West Tarring where Samuel died and was buried on 10th April 1836. The Register has the surname as Giles.

Following the death of Samuel, elizabeth returned to Broadwater where she lived with one of her married daughters. I believe Elizabeth was buried at Broadwater on 17th December 1856 under the name Sarah Guile.

James who was baptised at Poling in 1803 married Harriet Austen (baptised at Sompting 2nd June 1805) at Sompting on 17th January 1826. They had the following children-

Jane baptised at Sompting on 3rd June 1827
Harriet baptised at Sompting on 29th November 1829
Sarah baptised at Sompting on 22nd January 1832
James baptised at Sompting on 3rd August 1834.
Samuel baptised at Sompting on 13th August 1837
Mary-Ann baptised at Broadwater on 6th December 1840
Amy baptised at broadwater on 22nd October 1843
William baptised 7th February 1847. The Register shows his parents as James and Amy but this is I am sure a mistake as William is clearly shown on the 1851 census.

Will let you have some info in due course.

Any thoughts about all those william Guiles' at Angmering?

Derek

Harriet was buried at Broadwater on 23rd January 1860, and James was buried at South Farm Cemetery (Broadwater) on 25th February 1888.

Go to Top of Page

Jen

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  18:29:08  Show Profile
Hi Derek

Haven't checked the website for a week or so so have only just found your messages. A wealth of information for me to read and digest! Very many thanks! I have also come across Mandy Willard's fantastic website and have found some useful info. there. Will get back to you once I've had a chance to read through everything properly.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  06:39:35  Show Profile
Hi
I just stumbled upon this site and can't believe I have found more information on the Guiles.
I have been researching them for the past year now and this new info is great.

Jude Guile was my 6th Great Grandmother and I am from Her daughter Martha's side.

Derek, Any chance of a copy of the Poorhouse records for Jude and her children please.

Many Thanks

Regards
Terry
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  12:49:31  Show Profile
Welcome Terry.

The first batch of churchyard gravestone inscriptions of St Margaret's, Angmering, published on this website only a few days' ago, contain the following:

AREA 2
19 Guile
Here / Lyeth the Body / of Elizabeth the Daugh’r / of John and Eliz Guile / who died the (11th) of Jan /
173(.) Aged 25 Years / verse below not deciphered
Register:
Elisabeth Guile 13/1/1731 [1731/2]

20 Guile

Here / Lyeth (ye) Body / of William the son of / Henry and Mary Guile / who died ye 25th of (May) /
1736 Aged 13 Years / Eternally fresh and green / (…) down & no more seen
Register:
William son of Henry Guile of Egglesden 28/5/1736

21 Guile
Here / Lyeth the Body / of John Guile who / Died the 12th of / January 1714 / Aged 63 Years
Register;
John Gill 14/1/1714 [1714/15]

22 Guile
(Here) / Lyeth the Body / of Thomas Guile / who departed this Life / the 26th of Sept 1770 /
Aged 77 Years / verse not deciphered
Register:
Thos Guile 29/9/1770

Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  19:53:51  Show Profile
Hi Terry
Will provide you with some info as soon as I can.

Hi Neil
Very interesting info re the inscriptions as I am now convinced that the link I had tenuously made between John Geale born 1651 Findon and the John Guile at Patching in 1701 can be confirmed, and that John Guile (Geale) is the one buried at Angmering; the age at death ties in perfectly. All I need to do now is locate the date of marriage between John and Elizabeth, something I have been trying to do for 18 months without success!

Hi Jen

I haven't forgotten to send you further info on the Guile family; just have not had a lot of time. The next instalment should be about william Guile (B1847 Broadwater) and his wife Jane anf their family.

Derek
Derek
Go to Top of Page

Stovepipe
Average Member

44 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  20:22:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by derek
All I need to do now is locate the date of marriage between John and Elizabeth, something I have been trying to do for 18 months without success!

Don't know if you've searched the SMI. It has this:

Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index:
Place: Hailsham, East Sussex, Date: 31 Oct 1680:
Subject: John GEAL
Spouse: Elizabeth POLLINGTON

Hailsham, East Sussex doesn't inspire confidence in the groom being your John Geale, but it's all I could find 20 years either side of 1685 where the spouse has the name Elizabeth.

Stovepipe
Go to Top of Page

Jen

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  00:21:54  Show Profile
Thanks Derek.

I too haven't had much time recently to take a good look at your info but welcome anything new! I'm intrigued to learn that Elizabeth Guile may have been buried in 1856 under the name Sarah. I hadn't been able to find any record of Samuel's death, but I now know I need to look in St Andrew's parish records (for West Tarring). I had been looking in Broadwater.

I'm also interested to hear that Richard Guile was Samuel's uncle - Richard was a witness to Samuel and Elizabeth's marriage and I assumed he was probably Samuel's brother.

I found another really good source of info on Worthing and Broadwater including parish records on barriesgenealogy website which lists quite a few Guile/Guiel bmds and other useful data that I haven't found elsewhere.

If you do have a copy of poorhouse records for Jude Guile I too would be very interested in seeing them.

I look forward to the next instalment!

Jenny

Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  09:43:40  Show Profile
Hi Stovepipe

Many thanks for your posting. However the SMI and I are gret pals ! I have been visiting West Sussex Record Office regularly for the past 18 months and I feel I know it inside out! I have searched under Guile, Geale and every variation I can think of but to no avail. And it really is bugging me because I am sure this marriage relates to the John Geale (B1651 Findon but was buried at Angmering in 1714 under the name of Guile (Register shows Gill); i.e. when the spelling of the surname changed. I have found the baptisms of 2 sons, John and Richard at Patching in 1701 and 1703, and now thanks to this excellent website, a daughter, Elizabeth who was buried at Angmering in 1731.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the marriage between John and Elizabeth is either recorded under a variation I have not yet thought of, or it was out of the county, although I have searched the IGI numerous times, or the records have been lost. However I have not and will not give up so on my next visit to Chichester I intend to re-examine the Registers and Bishops Transcripts for the parish of Lyminster with which the Guile family has strong connections.

Thanks again

Derek
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  10:19:27  Show Profile
Hi Terry, Hi Jen

The only record I have regarding Poorhouses was obtained from the Sussex Record Society website at- http://www.sussexrecordsociety.

That website has a page dedicated to the Poor Law. If you search under the name of Guile you should find the 11 entries that relate to the Guile family. I have a print of that page. You will see that each entry on that page has a 'Par Reference'. This refers to the location within the West Sussex Record Office at Chichester, of the microfilm of the original documentation relating to the Removal Order etc.

As yet I have not obtained copies of these original documents although I have viewed several of them. They are very detailed and give the reason for the order etc. and in some cases even name the absent father in ****y Orders. I do intend to obtain copies of these original documents but when I have them I have no way in posting them on to this or any other website as I do not own a scanner. I could however rely on Royal Mail.

I hope this info will help in some way. If you need further assistance please come back to me.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  10:54:08  Show Profile
Hi again Jen

Details herewith for William and Jane.

William Guile was baptised at Broadwater on 7th Feb 1847 and was the youngest of 8 children born to James and Harriet. The entry in the parish register shows his parents as James and Amy but this I am convinced is yet another error as he is shown in the 1851 census as the 4 year old son of James and Harriet.

William married Jane Parsons (baptised at Broadwater in 1846) at Broadwater on December 1st 1867.

They had the following children-

Samuel baptised at Broadwater in 1868
William baptised at Broadwater on June 5th 1870
Amy baptised at Broadwater on October 6th 1872
Florence baptised at Broadwater on June 6th 1875
Harry baptised at Broadwater on October 7th 1877
Harriet baptised at Broadwater on September 7th 1879
Lily baptised at Broadwater on November 6th 1881
Louissa baptised at Broadwater on January 6th 1884
George baptised at Broadwater on June 5th 1887. (He is my Grandfather).

William's wife Jane died in 1901 and was buried in South Farm Road Cemetery.

William died in 1928 and was buried alongside his wife.

Hope this helps.

Any more info needed?

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  17:27:02  Show Profile
quote:

Hi Terry, Hi Jen
The only record I have regarding Poorhouses was obtained from the Sussex Record Society website at- http://www.sussexrecordsociety.
Derek

Thankyou Derek, I had actually found that site some time back, but had forgotten
to go back and review it.
If and when you do get some of the documents, I'd more than happy to pay your cost
of postage etc (or help with costs to get all the docs at one time).
Makes it very hard todo from this side of the world!

Terry
Go to Top of Page

Jen

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  22:03:04  Show Profile
Thanks again Derek.

I too am descended from James and Harriet, through William's older brother James. James drowned in a pond on the South Downs on his way to work as a shepherd one morning in 1905 aged 70. I too would be happy to pay copying and postage costs for more info on the Poor Law records for Jude and family as I am unable to get to the Records Office in Chichester.

I believe the Guiles owned a family-run nursery in Ferring until the 1950s or so. Do you know anything about this? I believe several family members worked there including my grandfather, who would have been a first cousin of your grandfather.

Hi Neil
Thank you for the graveyard inscription info. It's good to see more Guile details online!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:15:55  Show Profile
Hi Jen, Hi Terry

Have been to West Sussex Record Office and have some copies of Poor Law records for you. Only 6 sheets of A4, plus 4 sheets of A4 copied from the Parish Register confirming that Jude was in the Poorhouse. Where do you wish them to be sent.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  02:16:34  Show Profile
Thanks very much for that Derek, I'll email my details to you shortly.

I have a bit of info on the guiles side (Martha's) descendants, right through
to them moving to NZ if required. With some info when Certain Guiles where
quite high up in the Postal service, and 1 involved with the Wadhurst Meteor Jet
Crash.
I'm compiling it all into my family tree program at present, so If I can help
there in some way, but not sure if your researching this side of things or not

Terry

Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  13:56:07  Show Profile
Hi,

First post by me.

I was a pupil at Angmering comp and there was another pupil with the surname Guile, not sure if it was double L?. His family lived in Ferring. (1982 ish)
Go to Top of Page

carol

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  03:37:59  Show Profile
Hi this is my first time here so I muck up sorry.
My grandmother is Sarah Ann Guile (Annie) B 1892.her father is George Guile and Mother Isabella Woolgar.
Sarah married George Lisney . life was not good to them,they lived in the work house in Angmering around the 1920s my mum was born there .is there any way I can get info on this
cheers
carol
Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  03:55:24  Show Profile
Hi Carol
I am new here to, but I do have a George Guile (B 11 jul 1852, Broadwater Worthing) married to an Isabella. I've got them
having 5 children (bet 1874 - 1888) but not an Sarah Ann at this stage.
Does the above date for George fit in with your Details?
Go to Top of Page

carol

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  13:18:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Terry

Hi Carol
I am new here to, but I do have a George Guile (B 11 jul 1852, Broadwater Worthing) married to an Isabella. I've got them
having 5 children (bet 1874 - 1888) but not an Sarah Ann at this stage.
Does the above date for George fit in with your Details?

Go to Top of Page

carol

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  13:25:30  Show Profile
hi Terry
yes you have the right george guile,sarah ann is also called annie,she was born 1892.
Sarah fell in love with a coloured guy ( this was before she met George) I havent got a name for him but there was a big scandal,what are the chances of finding this guy.there cant have been many around at that time,
cheers
carol
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  19:31:06  Show Profile
Hi Jen

Something to take note of; during my extensive research of the parish records for Broadwater I came across a James and Mary Ann Guile who moved into the parish sometime in the early 1870's. James was born at Firle (near Newhaven) and Mary Ann was born in Portslade. They had 12 children baptised at Broadwater church and no doubt some of these were married and or settled in the Broadwater area and had children of their own.

James and Mary Ann and their family are, I suggest, separate from the line of descendancy of Samuel and Elizabeth.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  15:06:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by carol

hi Terry
yes you have the right george guile,sarah ann is also called annie,she was born 1892.
Sarah fell in love with a coloured guy ( this was before she met George) I havent got a name for him but there was a big scandal,what are the chances of finding this guy.there cant have been many around at that time,

Hi Carol,
Thanks for the info, I havn't much on that side sorry.
By my charts it looks like you are my Sixth Cousin, with common Ancestor of Jude (Judith) Guile,
where you were on the Samuel side I am from the Martha side.
Just noticed you are in Australia too, I'm in Victoria
Regards Terry
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:27:45  Show Profile
Hi Jen

The Ferring nursery is news to me. Pity it is no longer in the family as we could have got a reduction on our bedding plants! Don't forget I have the poor law records for you.

Following on from the details of William and Jane we now come to the next episode, that of George Guile (B1887) the youngest of william and Jane. George married Harriet Grevatt at Broadwater church in 1912 and they had just one child, my father, who was, dare I say, born also in 1912 and Christened William Henry Guile. He married my mother Florence Charles at Broadwater church in 1936 and had 2 children, me and my older brother John. Our mother is still alive and will be 98 next month.

I also have some interesting info regarding the brothers John and Thomas Guile who were resident in Angmering during the early to late 1700's. However it is rather complicated and so I will gather my thoughts and post it on this site in a few days.

Hi Terry

The prospect of more info on the Guiles is very tempting but at the moment I am still trying to finalise the Samuel and Elizabeth side. However when I have done so, (if ever I do) I would love to have that info.

Go to Top of Page

carol

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  02:32:49  Show Profile
Hi Terry
I am in Adelaide,
my Guile line is
Annie 1890 Alford Surry
George 1852 sussex
James 1825 Worthing
Reuben 1800
Samuel 1780 sussex
Annie also had a large family.
regards carol
Go to Top of Page

Jen

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  22:51:36  Show Profile
Derek

I have sent you 2 e-mails messages in response to your posts recently. Just wondering if you have received them? I would still like the poor law info on Jude Guile please.
Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  00:07:34  Show Profile
quote:

Hi Terry
The prospect of more info on the Guiles is very tempting but at the moment I am still trying to finalise the Samuel and Elizabeth side. However when I have done so, (if ever I do) I would love to have that info.

Derek, No problem, Just ask when ready.
BTW, Did you recieve my contact details via email the other day?
Thanks Terry
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  18:32:29  Show Profile
Hi Jen, Hi Terry,

Sorry to say but I did not receive the e-mails; probably still flying around in hyper-space!

Just to confirm, my e-mail address is - derekguile@btinternet.com

Please have another go and lets keep our fingers crossed for success.

Regards

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  00:58:53  Show Profile
Thankyou Derek
Just sent an email to you via My email program.
Seems like when I send emails from here'email poster' they don't
seem to go right.
Thanks Terry
Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  19:07:28  Show Profile
Hi Jen

Your e-mail received and the copies of Jude etc. despatched by Royal Mail yesterday. Expect it to arrive within the next few days.

Hi Terry

Your e-mail also received safe and sound. The info you wanted was sent yesterday by Royal Mail. I have no idea how long it will take to arrive but hope you enjoy reading it when it does.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Giz

6 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  14:33:20  Show Profile
Hi all

Have just come across this site. I too am directly descended from Samuel Guile and Elizabeth Moody and have found all this fascinating.

Samuel's grandson Henry Guile was a mariner and a few documents from him were passed down to my father. One was a letter / poem which I've managed to transcribe most of and thought I'd share with you:

On the Death of
My Father & Brother

Weep for our brothers who sunk on the main
For unheard and unpitied their cry was in vain
Weep for the vessel overwhelmed by the tide
For the young and the noble went down in their pride
Muffle the bells and solemnly toll for the brave hearts
That rest in the Water so Cold.
No help was at hand and resistance was vain
But tho’ buried in ….. they’ll blossom again.

For God in his mercy look’d down from the Sky
And angels stood ready to bear them on high
To bear off their spirits from fear and alarms
To rest in repose in their dear Saviours arms
Then weep not for them but with sorrowful mind
Ye may weep for the parents and friends left behind
Theirs was the grief and theirs was the woe
When told this sad fate of their lov’d ones laid low
But if sympathy shedding her tears far and near
To the hearts of the mourners bring comfort and cheer
Freely they … flow through the breadths of the strand
Fear the loss of that noble and illfated band

And yet perhaps some hearts are sad
Altho’ we think them Gay
For I have known much wretchedness
Upon a Christmas Day
Whilst I have …. It to ….
The gayish of the Gay
My heart’s been nearly broken
Upon a Christmas Day
How oft we think of friends so dear
Tho’ they are far away
And fresh in memory they appear
Upon a Christmas Day

The time is come around again
The sunshine and the shade
Have both alike their … past
From him whom all things made
The bells are ringing merrily
From every village spire
And voices are melodious
All joining in the choir
Both old and young are joining
With merry faces gay
To sing their makers praises
On a happy Christmas Day

Go to Top of Page

Terry

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  21:53:34  Show Profile
Hi Giz, Welcome and thanks for the posting.
Would I be right in that this Henry Guile was married to Alice Gibson?
And would you know the death date Of Henry's brother (which one)and Father by any chance?

Thanks for sharing

Terry
Go to Top of Page

Giz

6 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  13:21:43  Show Profile
Hi Terry

Henry certainly was married to Alice Gibson and they are my great great grandparents. Unfortunately there is nothing in the poem / note to say who it refers to. I'm not sure if it was Henry's father (who was a brewer) as I've not yet seen his death certificate - believe his death was registered in East Preston in 1872. It could even have been on the Gibson side as there is a brief letter from Alice's brother William Gibson to his parents dated 14th December 1841 - William is obviously at boarding school!!

Go to Top of Page

derek

20 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  16:14:38  Show Profile
Hi all

Throughout my research I have not been able to find a definitive link between the 4 families of Guile living at Angmering in the 18th century (about 1720 to 1777) and the Guile family of Poling and Patching (1701 to 1760).

The Angmering families were John, who married Sarah Goble in 1720), his brother Thomas who it seems never married and ran the Lamb Inn, and a third brother, William, who probably married Sarah Hopley at Poling in 1733 and moved to Arundel to run a brew house in Tarrant Street. The fourth family was Henry and Mary who lived at Ecclesden and it is their son William who is buried in the 'family group' of 4 burials in St Margarets churchyard. The other burials are Thomas (the publican), and a John Guile (D1714 age 63) who I believe may be the John Geale born in 1651 at Findon, and Elizabeth Guile (D1731 age 25) daughter of John and Elizabeth who I believe are the same John and Elizabeth who had 2 sons baptised at Patching in 1701 and 1703.

Please please please can anyone help me to establish the connection as I am sure they are of the same family group.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000