20 MPH ! Through the village
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AngmeringAl

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  19:29:26  Show Profile
Blimey , some cars are racing through , especially those coming down Water Lane , would love to see a speed hump in the centre lol

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  19:45:46  Show Profile
I've seen several cars in the last week exiting the 20mph zone near the Medical Centre doing at least 40mph and reaching 50mph by the time they have reached the build-out!
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  08:21:48  Show Profile
Gee, that's not fast - try Roundstone Lane - 60 seems to be the average for many drivers past the Rugby Club, but no-one listens or will do anything in either ADC or WSCC to curb these speeds.
Go to Top of Page

newbird
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  20:26:54  Show Profile
Totally agree Luckyduck... and treat the junction at the end of Nursery rd as a continuation of Roundstone lane. Take your life in your hands coming down Nursery rd and turning left towards the village in the mornings :0/
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  05:49:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by newbird

Totally agree Luckyduck... and treat the junction at the end of Nursery rd as a continuation of Roundstone lane. Take your life in your hands coming down Nursery rd and turning left towards the village in the mornings :0/

IMO should never have been built that way. Roundstone Lane was and still is the main throughfare. Should have been at least a roundabout.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  23:11:41  Show Profile
How does anyone without a radar speed gun know what speed any vehicle is travelling at unless they are following at the same speed? And if 60 was an "average" then that would mean there would be many vehicles doing way above that. These problems are National ones, people speed everywhere.

I'm sure that the Nursery road/Roundstone lane junction was given priority to Nursery road as a traffic calming measure by WSCC - and we all know how good they are at traffic calming measures and road layouts in general. Coming in to the village at that junction and looking left up nursery road, the view is obstructed by shrubs, so it can also be 'suicidal' for those doing their best to give way - nothing coming as far as you can see, commit and BOO! a car, complete with irate driver with right of way. Same with many junctions around here, High St/Water lane for example - not enough visible road to the right, if a vehicle appears the split second you commit it's on you instantly, and that's if it's doing 20, which it probably won't be.

Edited by - BFA on 04 Sep 2013 23:12:25
Go to Top of Page

newbird
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  13:59:09  Show Profile
The Nursery rd/Roundstone lane junction is fine if you use it properly and don't just continue straight ahead, cutting the corner and across the path of the traffic coming onto BG. You actually need to come slightly round the corner before turning right if you are to avoid almost taking the front wing off of any cars waiting at the junction. Visibility is then fine. Water Lane/High Street and Water Lane/Weavers Hill..... yes, different matter !
Go to Top of Page

NickR60
Average Member

46 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:00:12  Show Profile
I agree with the shrubs on nursery road posing a problem. It's particularly difficult to see over/around them if you drive a low vehicle - even pulling out of the side roads (Ashmore Av) is difficult. IMO the shrubs should be removed or at least maintained to a suitable height in key areas.
Go to Top of Page

westsussexbluenose
Average Member

43 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  14:24:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by newbird

The Nursery rd/Roundstone lane junction is fine if you use it properly and don't just continue straight ahead, cutting the corner and across the path of the traffic coming onto BG. You actually need to come slightly round the corner before turning right if you are to avoid almost taking the front wing off of any cars waiting at the junction. Visibility is then fine. Water Lane/High Street and Water Lane/Weavers Hill..... yes, different matter !

before the "bypass" was built the main throughfare was water lane. Since the "bypass" was built, the ludicrous traffic calming measures in Angmering together with the BG estate have all ensured that Roundstone Lane is now a rat run. There is going to be a major accident on this road unless the speed limit is reduced either by restrictions and/or speed humps which actually slow cars down rather than encourage drivers to straddle them. The speed which cars come around the top of Roundstone Lane is breathtaking given the two side roads shortly after the sharp bend. The amount of increase in traffic on this road is directly proportionate to the over development of land in Roundstone Lane, lack of infrastructure to cope with said development and the totally useless traffic calming measures installed in the village. I find it quite ironic that there is a "no more large scale developments in Angmering" poster on a house which is on one of the entrances to one of the largest developments Angmering has witnessed in recent years!
Go to Top of Page

Questor
Average Member

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  14:42:24  Show Profile
The traffic calming points, I think there is five of them, two to the south of the village and three to the north are becoming very dangerous with drivers getting more daring by the week. The one at the top of the hill past the doctors, I think is very dangerous. If a car is coming quickly up the hill and you are waiting to get through from the 259 end you cannot see the danger. I have had a couple of narrow escapes, its a very bad place to put such a hazard.
However the worst one is the one by the school in rush hour coming out of the village I have had to slap my brakes on hard, twice in the last week, as cars just come bombing through from the 259 with no right of way. there will be a bad smack here at sometime.
Why there are two so close together on the north side of the village god only knows. The first one from the bypass serves no useful purpose at all.
Does anybody know who the idiot was who came up with such a dumb scheme?

Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  15:23:50  Show Profile
The same idiot that put it in writing to me that the sign that enforced the one hour parking restriction in the square was never legal - and left it like that for 9 years or so.
Go to Top of Page

AngmeringAl

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  17:48:05  Show Profile
We also have the other traffic calming measure in the village , this being the foot traffic calming points outside the Lamb Pub , where pedestrians have to dodge their way around all sorts of sign boards that are for some reason positioned smack bang where people need to walk to get past the pub !
Go to Top of Page

Questor
Average Member

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  20:51:14  Show Profile
We don't want you to go past the pub Al, we want you to go in it!
Go to Top of Page

AngmeringAl

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  23:14:56  Show Profile
Haha that did make me smile
Go to Top of Page

Questor
Average Member

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  07:58:16  Show Profile
Point taken Al, I will have a word with the Kitchen Porters who put the boards out and make sure they are 6 feet from the kerb in future.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000