Angmering in Bloom
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  10:18:10  Show Profile
I see that 'The Angmering in Bloom' route has been published. Station Road to Village Green, Water Lane and south to Bramley Green. Lots of lovely flower beds etc. have been planted and cared for. Does anyone on the committee or Parish Council realize that there is life north of the village centre?

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  19:54:00  Show Profile
Whoa there, Nigel! Last year's route took in the north of Angmering - Arundel Road, the William Olders Playgroup, Chantryfield Road, and Dappers Lane as I seem to recall.

The north of Angmering cannot be on the route every year. There are other parts of Angmering that have not yet been exhibited and no doubt their turn will come in future years.

Arguably some of the prettiest front gardens in Angmering are in Lime Grove in the centre of The Dell. These will hopefully be considered in the future by the Angmering in Bloom Committee.

I think Angmering residents owe a debt of gratitude to the AiB Committee for the massive amount of work they have put in - clearing litter and weeds, and planting plants around the village to make it look attractive for both residents and the competition judges.
Go to Top of Page

rogp

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  10:10:47  Show Profile
Couldn't agree more with you Neil, think those who are not aware would be surprised that AIB is only in its 3rd year and made up of only 4 ladies and 1 gentleman along with any additional help from family and friends, who give up their time to enhance the look of the village and spend a lot of time encouraging horticulture at local schools. The Parish council/Ferring nurseries are responsible for most of the floral displays however through fundraising events AIB are starting to add to this as well as involving the villagers with things like best front gardens competition, quiz nights and spring fair. In fact they will be at Pigeon House this afternoon doing a plant sale to raise some additional funds. So frustrating when some idiots decide to remove and damage the sponsor plaques which then means to replace them uses up valuable funds.

As they always say, any additional help and ideas would be gratefully received.
Go to Top of Page

Atomius

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  11:10:48  Show Profile
I never saw the point in annual flowers... Bloody waste of time planting em, what! What about some perennials for a change. Would save the Council or whoever runs that thing cash innit.
Go to Top of Page

rogp

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  11:48:20  Show Profile
Agree again with poster, in fact the AIB bed in the high st near the Spotted cow contains, shrubs and perennials and is very colourful.
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  15:15:03  Show Profile
Sorry if it seemed that I was criticizing AIB, I was not. I was merely trying to point out that it would be nice if all the village was given the treatment rather than just the judging route. Arundel Road is one of the main approaches into the village and it would be nice if some of the banks could be given the flower bed treatment for everyone's benefit, not just for the judges.
Go to Top of Page

rogp

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  17:12:58  Show Profile
Point taken about the north of the village, however as said they have limited funds so some things have to wait, as money become available through spionsors and fund raising more can be done, it just takes time.

Re the judging route, it is chosen by AIB to show the judges what has been done during the year not the other way around. As Neil says the route will change each year to show that years achievements. The judges time is limited so it is not possible to get around the whole of the village each time for instance the dell and ham manor are not included either.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  19:24:14  Show Profile
I have to say that the trough on the railings outside the bakers/dress shop is absolutely stunning and hats off to the in bloom team for organising that.

I think that could win the competition on its own.

Well done.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000