Angmering Forums
Angmering Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Chatter (Category)
 Chitchat Forum
 Computer Tips

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
neil Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 08:59:32
IO's request asking how to do an Ø symbol gave me an idea. What about sharing useful computer tips, shortcuts, etc. Here's one to kick off with.

Multiple Clipboards
One of the most annoying deficiencies of MS Windows operating systems is that only one item can be stored in the clipboard at a time. Copy something, and the previous useful item is overridden. To overcome this, you can download and install the trial version of M8 Multi Clipboard which holds in the clipboard the last 30 items you've copied (words, phrases, photos, etc). The cut-down trial version is free and not time-limited. The all singing and dancing version costs only £10 but I've never felt that I needed that as the basic trial version does everything I want. You can download the trial version at http://m8software.com/clipboards/clipm8/clipm8.htm

The software runs minimised and is retrieved by clicking on an icon in the system tray at the bottom right-hand side of your screen. Alternatively, you can nominate one of the "F" function keys on your keyboard to call up the multi clipboard. The board also contains a very simple Help file showing you how to use it. You can see a screenshot of the simple free version of the clipboard at http://www.softpedia.com/screenshots//M8-Clipboard-and-Screen-Capture_1.png

PS. Software and website are genuine and contain no viruses or adware. I've been using M8 Clipboard for several years without any problems.

32   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
neil Posted - 07 Sep 2011 : 17:51:50
Not possible with Snitz boards, I'm afraid.
compost Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 17:48:50
Not a tip but a suggestion/request to Neil - could it not be done to show latest replies to topics at the head of each section instead of at the bottom. So as you enter a topic the latest reply is what you see first - in the majority of cases i would assume (always bad i know) that followers of a topic have read the previous statements. Just a thought - great website though.
tomkins Posted - 01 Mar 2010 : 17:36:48
quote:
Originally posted by neil

Rather than clicking on all the windows-minimise buttons, simply hold down the Windows key (usually bottom left key on your keyboard - to the the right of the "Ctrl" key) and tap D. This minimises all open windows to the Taskbar and displays the Desktop.

Very nice and i thought i knew all the secret button code thingys!!
John Posted - 18 Feb 2009 : 09:21:41
Thank you degoo.
DEGOO Posted - 17 Feb 2009 : 21:05:10
A tracking cookie is something that comes in from websites you visit, they arent much of a security threat, but they do broadcast back to someone/something how you use the internet, ie what sites, times etc etc Adaware will delete them, but theres no way of staopping them arriving as far as I know.
John Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 20:18:46
From time to time Norton does a full system scan on my computer and every time it comes up with a "security risk" in the form of a "tracking cookie".
Can anyone tell me what that is please and how much of a security risk it is.
Thank you
ruffage Posted - 19 Jan 2009 : 14:59:04
With so many wireless networks popping up, it's good practice to rename your SSID to something unique, and then hide its visibility by disabling the broadcast. As long as you've made the association between router and device they'll still connect. Of course you'll be using encryption and MAC address whitelists too.

Imagine it from a hacking perspective. 3 guesses what type of router is installed at "BTOpenZone123", or "NetgearABC". It only helps the hackers know what types of penetrations to attempt. Not long ago there was a wireless network near me called "Secure", and it was completely unsecured. Genius.
skippy2107 Posted - 09 Jan 2009 : 19:58:24
Also, if you burn the hard drive it will completely destroy it
DEGOO Posted - 27 Mar 2008 : 13:43:37
I was going to suggest the hammer method, its wahat we use at work!
but as you have already done it........................ ;o)
John Posted - 20 Mar 2008 : 15:53:18
Thanks ruffage. However I now have my gleaming new PC and have discovered that PC World will remove the hard disc from your old computer and give it to you to smash up. They then recycle the rest of it. All free of charge. So thats what I did. Thanks again for your help.

ruffage Posted - 20 Mar 2008 : 10:37:32
quote:
Originally posted by John

I am buying a new computer this week and wondering how to dispose of my old one securely. There is some personal stuff on there such as my accounts & bank details as I do a lot of internet banking. I am therefore anxious that this does not fall into the wrong hands.

Any ideas please.

Why not take the hard disk out and install it in your new PC as extra storage? Or if it won't fit then buy an external caddy for about £15 then you can use it as an external drive connecting when needed over USB. That way you could use it for backups etc.

However if the drive really is no good then I'd suggest hammering a screwdriver through it. I'd like to see someone recover the data from that.
John Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 22:03:42
Thank you VoR. Thats very useful to know.
Voice of Reason Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 20:31:40
Hi John

Hope the below is of help:-

Some computer manufacturers such as Hewlett-Packard also have trade-in programs. If you plan to buy a new PC from HP, for example, you only need to contact the company and provide details of your old PC you’d like to trade in, and then get an online quote. After buying the new PC, you can ship your old one to HP and get a little cash back.
London-based charity Computer Aid International, for example, will pick up old kit for a small fee. CAI refurbishes hardware and sends it to not-for-profit organisations in the developing world. Unusable equipment is sent to its recycling partner, Silver Lining, to strip the 95% of parts that can be recycled and dispose of the rest.

The charity wipes data from the machines free of charge. It only asks that the size of the load is quite large and, in the case of PCs, they are at least Pentium 1 machines.

VoR

John Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 13:42:19
I am buying a new computer this week and wondering how to dispose of my old one securely. There is some personal stuff on there such as my accounts & bank details as I do a lot of internet banking. I am therefore anxious that this does not fall into the wrong hands.

Any ideas please.
DEGOO Posted - 06 Mar 2008 : 13:28:42
Oh and another one!

If you have lots of screens open but dont want to hunt along the task bar at the bottom of your screen, press and hold ALT and press TAB (while still holding down ALT) to scroll through your open screens. Let go of both keys when you find the screen you want.
DEGOO Posted - 06 Mar 2008 : 13:07:52
If you are finding your internet slower than normal or its not going to where you asked download and install adaware 7 from the lavasoft website, this runs a scan for all the tracking cookies that EVERY website writes to your pc and gives you the option to remove the ones it sees as a security threat. Excellent bit of software if you ask me, and its totally free!!!
John Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 19:42:22
Thank you ruffage.
ruffage Posted - 27 Oct 2007 : 17:14:24
quote:
Originally posted by John

They come with an attachment which I am reluctant to open.

Certainly don't open the attachment, as more than likely this will install a bot (or worse) onto your PC which will then be used to send further Spam out to other PCs without your knowledge.
John Posted - 27 Oct 2007 : 09:26:25
Thank you Paul
Paul Posted - 26 Oct 2007 : 23:10:17
John, the first advice is to not open them and certainly not respond to them. By responding, you are confirming that it is a live email address and you will probably find you get even more. Ignore them and they tend to go away. I find I get them after I have registered on a site for something or other (even the 10 Downing St one!). After a few days or weeks, I get a pile of unsolicited emails and then they die off. They get delivered into the Junk Mail folder of my Hotmail account where they stay, unopened and unread, until removal.
John Posted - 26 Oct 2007 : 20:23:03
Can anyone help me with a problem please?
In the last few weeks I have been receiving what I consider to be obscene e mails. These are advertisments for products of a sexual nature. They do not go into my normal mail box but always appear in the "bulk mail" section. They come with an attachment which I am reluctant to open. Despite numerous requests to be removed from their mailing list they still keep arriving once or twice a day.
These are totally unsolicited (honest!!)
Does anyone know how I can stop them please?
lizh Posted - 11 Oct 2007 : 21:57:08
or just put a 'show desktop' shortcut icon on your task bar

neil Posted - 11 Oct 2007 : 09:44:24
XP or Vista user? If so, have you ever found yourself with multiple windows open and want to get to your Desktop for a file or folder? If this is the case, here's a tip from this fortnight's "Computer User":

Rather than clicking on all the windows-minimise buttons, simply hold down the Windows key (usually bottom left key on your keyboard - to the the right of the "Ctrl" key) and tap D. This minimises all open windows to the Taskbar and displays the Desktop.
neil Posted - 12 Aug 2007 : 23:38:12
Not sure whether I will be even able to remember that, Patty
patty Posted - 12 Aug 2007 : 22:46:35
Tell you what Neil. If you forget in months time, I can tell you of this brilliant website, not quite sure of its full title, thinks its something like angmeringvillagelife, go to forums and to computer tips.......there will be a reminder there..........[;^)][;^)]
neil Posted - 10 Aug 2007 : 21:17:42
Wow, that's brilliant Mr A. However, I wonder whether I will remember it in a month's time!
Mr Angry Posted - 10 Aug 2007 : 20:54:25
To avoid all these codes for special characters, click 'Start' then 'Run' and type in 'charmap'

vickidog Posted - 01 Feb 2007 : 09:38:08
To make a degree sign º hold Alt key down and type 0186 on numbers keys with number lock light on. Release Alt key and you should have a degree sign.

For those without a Euro key (like me) hold down Ctrl and Alt keys together and type 4 and you get the Euro sign €.
neil Posted - 26 Jan 2007 : 12:40:14
For those who have graduated to Internet Explorer 7 with tabbed browsing, the following tip may be useful:

Clicking on a hyperlink with the MIDDLE BUTTON of the mouse will open a new tab. For many mouses, the wheel in the middle may also be a button if depressed.

If you have IE7 you can try it on this website. While reading or responding to a topic on these Forums, click on, say, the News page with the middle button. The News page will appear in a new tab.
BOTFOJ Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 16:48:29
hit shift five times for sticky keys, thats a good un too, takes some getting used to but good if you use a lot of shift/ctrl keystrokes
neil Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 12:09:42
Good one, BOTFOJ. It certainly worked with my personal genealogy site.
BOTFOJ Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 09:59:04
Best tip I've ever been told is when your entering a dot com website into your browser. Say for example you wanted to look up www.mrangry.com all you do is type mrangry in the browser and then hit CTRL-ENTER and it wraps around the www and the .com for you

Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000