Angmering Forums
Angmering Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering General - Forum
 Rustington M&S

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rosebud Posted - 30 Nov 2014 : 13:32:52
Just seen this link to what looks like the new Rustington M&S. www.rustington-consultation.co.uk
36   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
angmeringpaul Posted - 12 Mar 2015 : 19:08:20
It always seemed a strange decision for Waitrose to open in Littlehampton...I don't think that the footfall is really the problem!
Rosebud Posted - 12 Mar 2015 : 14:13:08
http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/breaking-news-waitrose-confirms-move-away-from-littlehampton-1-6629483

Hope the link works
roosterbri Posted - 12 Mar 2015 : 12:45:44
quote:
Originally posted by roosterbri

quote:
Originally posted by Eliza

Does anyone know what's happening with the old coop store in Rustington ? Would have thought M&s could have used that! Although will be handy,i feel that this just means more traffic and do they think there's going to be more houses ? OMG!!!!!

Waitrose

CONFIRMED WAITROSE not enough footfall in Littlehampton
westsussexbluenose Posted - 26 Feb 2015 : 10:11:01
Eliza, dont forget to factor in that it may take you just as long to get to Rustington due to the traffic congestion when all the new houses have been built
quote:

Well at least it won't be left empty and an eyesore and saves the trip to worthing !

Eliza Posted - 25 Feb 2015 : 22:41:29
Well at least it won't be left empty and an eyesore and saves the trip to worthing !
roosterbri Posted - 24 Feb 2015 : 14:11:47
quote:

Does anyone know what's happening with the old coop store in Rustington ? Would have thought M&s could have used that! Although will be handy,i feel that this just means more traffic and do they think there's going to be more houses ? OMG!!!!!

Waitrose
Robinf Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 14:51:38
I was unable to attend the meeting on 11th December in Angmering. Had I, I would have wanted to know the following. Instead I have written to the developer and await his response.

When the plans were devised was there any consideration given to using the site to house any other form of employment other than low wage retail and service industries, i.e. M&S and a Toby Inn? If not why not since the corner stone of ADC draft local plan currently states:

• To strengthen Arun’s economic base and provide local job opportunities by increasing, diversifying and improving the quality of employment within the District through the provision of appropriate employment sites, better infrastructure including road access, quality affordable accommodation and the development of business support and partnerships.

This proposed development does not add to this objective.

In fact it just propagates a worrying trend by ADC and it’s planners to ignore it’s own prime objective of improving the quality of employment within the district. It is clear that M&S and a pub will only offer minimum wages (or near minimum wages) to those employed, does not diversify the employment opportunities, and the traffic movements it generates, will just add to an already overloaded road system.

In short this development is not appropriate for this area. There are already enough pubs and large retail outlets, ASDA, Sainsburys, Morrison’s, Tesco’s and the like. Add to this the fact that ADC’s current Draft Local Plan focuses on building more market housing in the area rather than affordable housing.

It’s easy to see therefore that there will be an ever increasing imbalance between the low cost economy that this area experiences and the housing needs of the people who will be employed in this proposed development, and who will not be able to afford the houses being built.

What financial incentives will ADC be seeking from this development?

What financial contribution will the development make to the local infrastructure of the area?
angmeringpaul Posted - 11 Dec 2014 : 19:39:06
The dualling of the A259 has been "planned" for over 20 years....I wouldn't hold my breathe.
neil Posted - 11 Dec 2014 : 18:16:43
Reason given at Public Exhibition this evening was that they only issued flyers based on a certain distance from the proposed store. Not all of Rustington households received notification of the Public Exhibitions held there.
derekdainton Posted - 11 Dec 2014 : 17:40:21
Just you wait until the A259 gets dualled. You'll never get out.
luckyduck Posted - 11 Dec 2014 : 17:10:09
Maybe that's why they call it Rustington M&S, as no-one from Angmering will be able to get there, except of course those on Ham Manor, who are probably their target market anyway.
westsussexbluenose Posted - 11 Dec 2014 : 16:23:19
quote:
Originally posted by neil

It seems that only residents south of the village centre plus Bramley Green were sent the flyer by the marketing company acting for M&S. Don't know why!

didnt get one either - perhaps it is because M&S have calculated that anyone who lives north of BG and north of the village centre would have to own a helicopter in order to navigate the traffic to make it a worthwhile exercise
Crazypaving Posted - 10 Dec 2014 : 14:45:11
Makes a change! Who cares? Makes no difference if the roads are already gridlocked 24/7 or contractors already using Weavers Hill for construction access to Roundstone Lane. The APC care as much as Andy Traitor Cooper cares and he is already above us as new Chair of ADC.Hail Oh Mighty One who sold us down the river. Only solution is to get rid of them and all who sail with her! Beware those on the APC with ADC paymasters!
neil Posted - 09 Dec 2014 : 16:48:49
It seems that only residents south of the village centre plus Bramley Green were sent the flyer by the marketing company acting for M&S. Don't know why!
roosterbri Posted - 09 Dec 2014 : 15:12:57
Thanks Bert you are right. I put my hand up to being a twerp.

From that application it is obvious Neil is absolutely correct. The M & S plot is further along New Road.

The mystery thickens
Bert Posted - 09 Dec 2014 : 12:17:18
I think you'll find the relevant planning application/consent, for the car sales showroom is A/125/13.
roosterbri Posted - 09 Dec 2014 : 11:31:32
Interestingly enough, and as long as I am not a complete twerp, I cannot find ANY Planning Application for land South of New Road and West of Mill Lane
neil Posted - 08 Dec 2014 : 20:50:36
Found out today that the M&S site is NOT the one next to new Chandlers' site with the two retail units next to it. The M&S site is beyond that on land that currently has no planning permission! It extends up to Brook Lane.

Understand that, if ADC eventually approve a planning application, then the Restaurant/pub would be a Toby Inn.
neil Posted - 08 Dec 2014 : 08:54:33
All Angmering residents should now have received a flyer advising them of the Public Exhibition for the M&S store to be held in the King Suite of the Village Hall this Thursday between 3pm and 7 pm.
angmeringpaul Posted - 08 Dec 2014 : 07:54:40
I wouldn't object to the fish counters if they didn't try to pass it off as being fresh (unfrozen).
Questor Posted - 05 Dec 2014 : 12:25:19
I agree roosterbri, the fish counters we can find if we are a little adventurous are light years away from the sorry, pathetic farmed fish display we find in Sainsbury's every day. Their fish counter is pathetic. With local boats and the excellent fish wagon at Littlehampton close to the Arun its a wonder they sell anything from it.
roosterbri Posted - 05 Dec 2014 : 09:43:22
We have just had a cheap day trip to Calais via the tunnel, to the AUCHAN Supermaket. The fresh food knocks any English supermarket for six.

The fish counter is to die for, with so much variety of both fresh fish and fresh shell fish. Bucket loads of prawns(buy by the kilo) not the prissy little packets in this country. North Atlantic Crabs with backs the size of large tea plates.

Fresh fruit and vegetables that are twice the size and twice as juicy etc than that is on sale here.Bought some clementines the size of a golf ball that are so sweet and juicy and easy to peel.

Anyway my point is that it does not matter how many food outlets there are in an area, the products for the English market will always be poor. The buyers for the likes of Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrisson/Waitrose must have very tight budgets or very poor taste.

End of rant.

Eliza Posted - 02 Dec 2014 : 19:09:19
OMG not wetherspoons !! When will it end ?
Eliza Posted - 02 Dec 2014 : 19:08:05
Luckyduck, The Isle of Skye is starting to look attractive ! Ha ha !!
lindylou Posted - 02 Dec 2014 : 18:05:14
Have heard that old Coop in Rustington may become a Wetherspoons
luckyduck Posted - 02 Dec 2014 : 17:07:22
I think there are one or two islands off the west coast of Scotland, which might have tighter building restrictions!!!!! But then you would have to have a boat to get to any supermarket, assuming the sea was not too rough to get there!!!!!
Eliza Posted - 02 Dec 2014 : 16:51:11
Agree.. depressing tho ! Did think of moving but where do you go ?
luckyduck Posted - 02 Dec 2014 : 15:48:41
Of course there will be more houses - that is the only way these supermarkets can justify piling into our patch - so we know full well that any objections we raise against houses, Arun will just ignore, as they have already promised these supermarkets they will have an increased population to attract. As well as this meets Arun's objectives in their local plan of increasing the local jobs - they never said that these would not be low pay and part time, just that they will create jobs. You will get your chance in the next elections to decide if our useless local council is worth keeping or not, as we will get no chance to remove the officers who advise the councillors, so we could try and get some councillors with a bit of gumption who will tell the officers to go back into their boxes and do something worthwhile rather than desecrating our rural area.
Eliza Posted - 02 Dec 2014 : 13:27:55
derekdainton Posted - 02 Dec 2014 : 10:48:58
It will be good to have another supermarket. We've not got enough in the vicinity as it is.
neil Posted - 01 Dec 2014 : 17:52:51
You are quite correct DD. I had forgotten that the proposed access to the Chandlers and retails sites was on the A259 about 100m along the by-pass. This envisaged traffic emerging from both Chandlers and the retail site IN BETWEEN the two developments and not at Brook Lane as now planned by M&S.

Obviously matters not finalised and possibly causing a delay with the Chandlers site in view of the query on the M&S plan.
derekdainton Posted - 01 Dec 2014 : 17:35:33
I was under the impression that a Windmill Bridge Entrance/Exit had been dropped as being not only dangerous but impractical. But certainly, withou it, a trek to the Body Shop roundabout might be offputting to many.
neil Posted - 01 Dec 2014 : 17:14:20
The majority of people I have spoken to in the last 24 hours seem quite positive about the M&S site, but what are the views of Forum members?
neil Posted - 01 Dec 2014 : 17:06:17
Store Properties, owners of the whole site, have probably been negotiating this M&S project for a while.

What possibly might have delayed the Chandlers site development is a potential link between theirs and the M&S site which WSCC and ADC may have views on suitability if M&S traffic could exit through the Chandlers site onto the Windmill Bridge entrance/exit. The M&S plans show a road leading up to the Chandlers site with a caption "POTENTIAL LINK TO ADJACENT SITE SHOWN DOTTED".

Of course, if traffic could exit via Chandlers, this would avoid traffic wishing to go east going all the way to the Bodyshop roundabout before coming back again down the dual carriageway. Doubt if WSCC would want to foot out for a new roundabout on the A259 at Brook Lane.
luckyduck Posted - 01 Dec 2014 : 16:54:58
So is this going to join up with Chandlers newsite? and has anyone seen any more on this - it all seems to hgave gone quiet?
neil Posted - 01 Dec 2014 : 16:18:57
Have just spoken to Meeting Place Communications - who are running the public exhibitions - who tell me that they are hoping to have a public exhibition of the proposals in Angmering at the end of next week when a venue has been booked. They are also running the public exhibitions in Rustington on Friday and Saturday this week.

The literature for the Angmering hand-outs will effectively acknowledge that the site is in Angmering.

Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000