Angmering Forums
Angmering Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering Bygones & History - Forum
 War Memorial

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
angmeringpaul Posted - 12 Sep 2014 : 12:40:29
I am curious about the names to be added to the war memorial. Does anyone know anything about them.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HanceR Posted - 13 Sep 2014 : 16:27:26
Harry Pulman was my uncle, my mother's brother. I always knew he was killed in world war 1 but it was not till I was researching my mother's side of the family that I found he lived and worked in Angmering. He enlisted into the Royal Sussex Regiment in Worthing. Hi name is recorded in St Georges Chapel Chichester Cathedral. It seems right to add his name to our war memorial.
Richard Hance
neil Posted - 13 Sep 2014 : 12:40:08
Harry Pulman probably had no relatives living nearby who would have represented his interests. I think Arthur Walsha's widowed mother, who lived at Kinnoull House, moved away by the end of WW1 and, again, he was forgotten.

Both of these two for differing reasons were probably not well known in the village and easily forgotten when the memorial committee drew up the names a couple of years after the war had ended.

As opposed to that, Stanley Messenger (listed on the memorial), whose parents retired to Roundstone House, probably never lived in Angmering himself - just visited occasionally.
angmeringpaul Posted - 13 Sep 2014 : 11:42:52
Thanks for that Neil. Do you know why they were not listed before?
neil Posted - 12 Sep 2014 : 13:31:56
The two names to be added to the War Memorial are Albert Walsh and Harry Pulman,

Albert Walsha
Lieut Albert Arthur Walsha was killed in action on 18/09/1918. He served with the 9th Bn. Norfolk Regiment. Grave Reference II. H. 12.Cemetery. CHAPELLE BRITISH CEMETERY, HOLNON.
The Worthing Gazette (9 Oct 1918) reported “News has been received that Lieutenant AA Walsha of the Norfolk Regiment whose home was at Kinnoull Cottage [High Street, Angmering] was killed in action on the 18th September. The youngest son of Mrs C Walsha and the late Mr Herbert Walsha the deceased officer was just over 30 years of age and has seen twelve years’ service in the Regular Army. He was wounded in September 1917. He leaves a young wife having been married only in May of this year."

Harry Pulman
Private, 1st/4th Royal Sussex Regiment. Wounded in action in Galipoli and died on 11 November 1915, aged 22. Born in Cricklewood in 1893, the son of Harry and Gertrude Ann Pulman. Buried in the Pieta Military Cemetary, Malta (grave D.V.2.).
Pre-war occupation: Farm worker living at Avenals Farm, Angmering (Census 1911).

Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000